Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question regarding Planar 85mm f/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Question regarding Planar 85mm f/1.4 Reply with quote

Looking into the Planar 85mm f/1.4. Just curious how the C/Y version compares to the ZF generation. And did anybody test it for instance against the Nikkor Ai(s) 85mm f/1.4? I'm familiar with the Nikkor. Opinions on other comparable lenses are also welcome.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Question regarding Planar 85mm f/1.4 Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Looking into the Planar 85mm f/1.4. Just curious how the C/Y version compares to the ZF generation. And did anybody test it for instance against the Nikkor Ai(s) 85mm f/1.4? I'm familiar with the Nikkor. Opinions on other comparable lenses are also welcome.

I own only one 1.4/85mm lens: The Minolta AF 1.4/85mm. I have used quite extensively the Sony Zeiss Planar 1.4/85mm AF lens for the Minolta/Sony A-mount (different computation from the CY 1.4/85mm), and I have been shootoing occasionally with the Zeiss Planar CY 1.4/85mm (probably the lens you refer to ... there's also the Planar 1.4/85 for the Contax N system which again has another computation).

Looking at the MinAF, the Sony Zeiss ZA and the Zeiss CY now:

1) The Sony Zeiss ZA and the Minolta AF perform very similar, the Zeiss having a very slight advantage over the MinAF at f1.4/infinity (tested side by side)

2) for portraits I didn't see any difference between the MinAF and the Sony Zeiss ZA (also tested side by side)

3) The MinAF has a more sophisticated floating focusing system (last lens moves forth and back while focusing from infinity to 0.85m; Zeiss ZA last lens moves linearly). Probably meant to give better bokeh on the Minolta at portrait distances.

To sum it up: I didn't buy the Sony Zeiss ZA, especially since its manual focusing has an annoying play (so do the 3rd gen MinAF 1.4/85, but not the 1st/2nd gen).

4) I have NOT compared the Zeiss CY side-by-side to the Sony Zeiss ZA, but at infinity it certainly wasn't better than the MinAF - on the contrary. LoCAs (purple fringing) was quite annoying on the Zeiss CY, even more so than on the MinAF.

Which meant I didn't buy the Zeiss CY.

That's all I can say about 1.4/85mm lenses. Yeah, I do have the Canon nFD 1.2/85 and the Zeiss Biotar 1.5/7.5cm, but didn't ask for those ...

S

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will look into the Minolta as well!

What about the Nikkor af-d 85/1.4, any users?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Question regarding Planar 85mm f/1.4 Reply with quote

I have a C/Y Planar but nothing else to compare it with unfortunately. The only complaint is the focus ring is beginning to get slightly stiff.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Sony 85/1,4 for Sony camera.
It should be the Minolta AF son.

Sharp from wide open. Good bokeh.

But with something strong CA, axial and lateral.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still doubting if I should buy an AF lens at all. Once they break down they lose all their value. C/y planar I believe had jigsaw bokeh, I think it's not the case with ZF generation.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Still doubting if I should buy an AF lens at all. Once they break down they lose all their value. C/y planar I believe had jigsaw bokeh, I think it's not the case with ZF generation.

No ninja stars.
https://www.opticallimits.com/nikon_ff/591-zeisszf8514ff?start=1 Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Reminds me a recent sale of Zeiss Sony FE 35mm selling for 70€ as a broken Lens, because of electronics failure, otherwise new condition. After reading through the net, some of the first batches had units failing ,but still, fixing these lenses nowadays, probably is not worth it.
In some of the c/y lenses the green f22 versions are not supposed to have the ninja star (MMJ version vs AEG?), but the only thing that really bothered me in 50mm Planar 1.4 was the 6 blades once having to stop down aperture. In this case I just prefer FD . But it's true ,there are some nice shots shared wide open of this planar . Shooting children wide open with the planar 1.4 it's not an easy task I assume , so AF would be really helpful on that specific case. Sony 1.8 goes cheaper than the 1.4 planar but .....is AF, has electronics and is 1.8 vs 1.4 .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Yes, but only the AE versions. Later MM-versions of the C/Y Planar don't have Ninja Bokeh. They are easily differentiated via the green f16 mark. But beware, they sell for about 100 euros more than the AE's.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marius.zaech wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Yes, but only the AE versions. Later MM-versions of the C/Y Planar don't have Ninja Bokeh. They are easily differentiated via the green f16 mark. But beware, they sell for about 100 euros more than the AE's.

Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marius.zaech wrote:

I never fully understood why this bothers people. Why is hex bokeh better than ninja star? I could see ninja star enhancing the right picture in the right conditions. I have two ninja star lenses that have produced some very cool photos because of the ninja star shape.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
marius.zaech wrote:

I never fully understood why this bothers people. Why is hex bokeh better than ninja star? I could see ninja star enhancing the right picture in the right conditions. I have two ninja star lenses that have produced some very cool photos because of the ninja star shape.

I’m sure it can enhance some images, but it’s a special effect I wouldn’t like in too many of my images.

By the way, I’m looking into the Mitakon Speedmaster 85/1.2 a bit. They have pretty solid optical performance and are well priced nowadays.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
cbass wrote:
marius.zaech wrote:

I’m sure it can enhance some images, but it’s a special effect I wouldn’t like in too many of my images.

By the way, I’m looking into the Mitakon Speedmaster 85/1.2 a bit. They have pretty solid optical performance and are well priced nowadays.

I tried the following lens few days ago. This is the 85/1.2 i would recommand I you love Zeiss lens. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
cbass wrote:
marius.zaech wrote:

I tried the following lens few days ago. This is the 85/1.2 i would recommand I you love Zeiss lens. Wink

Expensive toy 😊

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Expensive toy 😊

Expensive but practical. The F1.2 is much better than the F1.4. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Expensive toy 😊

Yeah bokeh is gorgeous, but at those prices it's hardly a rational buy. Especially since there's some seriously good modern alternatives now at a fraction of the price.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Expensive toy 😊

Yeah bokeh is gorgeous, but at those prices it's hardly a rational buy. Especially since there's some seriously good modern alternatives now at a fraction of the price.

Yes, I won't buy it either. For me F1.4 or F1.5 is more than enough. The Mitakon is a good alternative but it never replace the Zeiss.

BTW, the Mitakon 90mm f/1.5 is pretty good lens for Leica M users for $399.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick and dirty snapshot before I took down the Christmas tree. However, I think the bokeh is brilliant and can be used as an advantage creatively. Everybody has round bokeh. That's boring.

[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Question regarding Planar 85mm f/1.4 Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Opinions on other comparable lenses are also welcome.

I own the ZY Optics 85mm 1.2 Speedmaster, and it's brilliant. It's stunningly sharp wide open and not all that expensive either. The only downsides are the weight (it's a bit lighter than a Helios-40-2) and it will be very difficult to focus without peaking. As long as you have good peaking it's great.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Question regarding Planar 85mm f/1.4 Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

I own the ZY Optics 85mm 1.2 Speedmaster, and it's brilliant. It's stunningly sharp wide open and not all that expensive either. The only downsides are the weight (it's a bit lighter than a Helios-40-2) and it will be very difficult to focus without peaking. As long as you have good peaking it's great.

I would like to compare the Mitakon to the Zeiss but I can't find one to lend me a copy. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I read the Mitakon's performance is more or less comparable with the Canon EF 85/1.2. At least technically it should be optically better than the Planar. Only things that bother me are the weight and maybe the flaring.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Question regarding Planar 85mm f/1.4 Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Do you know how does it compare to the 90mm 1.5 version ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Question regarding Planar 85mm f/1.4 Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
KEO wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Do you know how does it compare to the 90mm 1.5 version ?

From what I read, the 90/1.5 is good but performs best on Leica bodies. Check out Phillip Reeve’s website.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally settled with the Nikon AF 85mm f/1.4. Found a pristine one for a good price. It seems to be a nice balance of optical quality, good MF ergonomics, relatively low weight and solidity.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look forward for your results with the Nikkor!