Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's your current carry around kit.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: What's your current carry around kit. Reply with quote

I have gone to nearly all OM stuff. These are all used via a techart E-mount to Leica LM ,to EF except the A mount zoom. Alternatively I use a pixco E to EF helicoid.
OLYMPUS OM 21 3.5
OLYMPUS OM 24 2
VIVITAR 28 1.8 (KIRON) Nikon mount
OLYMPUS OM 40 2
OLYMPUS 55 1.2
OLYMPUS 90MM 2 MACRO
and the SONY G 70-400 SSM II in A mount via LA-EA5

I leave the Nikon EF adapter on the vivitar.
The whole kit weighs 15 pounds

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is meant by "carry around"? In a backpack while hiking? In the vehicle? Smile

From http://forum.mflenses.com/every-day-carry-kit-t83042.html

Quote:
How much does all that weigh? What is used to carry all that? I ask because my current bag of three lenses, Nikon Nikkor-P Auto 105mm f/2.5 Pre-AI, Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Standard Lens (SEL50F18F) on A7RII camera, and Super Takumar 35 F2 first (FAT) version, in Lowepro Off Trail 1 Camera Bag seems pretty heavy to me, lugging up & down some rugged terrain here! Thanks...

(photo ebay seller bigislandtreasurehunter)

Also:

http://forum.mflenses.com/how-do-you-carry-your-camera-t72513.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/new-method-to-carry-photo-gear-t19439.html

My grab & go lightweight kit is only camera and Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 3,5-4,5/28-70 T*

Last edited by visualopsins on Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice kit!

I don't really have one carry around kit, but usually I will make a combination that doesn't weight to much. Usually a combination of 3 or 4 lenses (1 or 2 wide angles, 1 standard lens, 1 or 2 telephoto):

Wide angle: CV Color-Skopar 21/3.5, Minolta AF 24/2.8, SMC Pentax 28/3.5 or Minolta MD 35/2.8

Standard: Mamiya EF 50/1.4, Minolta MD 50/2, Auto Yashinon 5cm f/2, Pentax-M 50/1.7, Yashica ML 55/2.8 macro or Canon EF 50/2.5 compact macro

Telephoto: Nikkor Ai 85/2, Minolta MD 100/2.5, Topcor RE 100/2.8, Minolta MD 75-150/4, Sonnar 135/3.5 or Hexanon 135/3.2

Sometimes I throw in a tele macro such as Minolta AF 100/2.8 or Tokina AT-X 90/2.5

I hardly ever take a lens >150mm.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two bags- one an everyday carry, the other holds some favorite lenses that are slightly special purpose.

The every day bag has the D-810 body in it and:

Nikkor 50mm f2. I would not be without this lens. It is my fall-back that gets the image every time.

Nikkor 200mm f4. I have learned to keep this one in the bag as well. My second most used lens.

The other lenses more or less rotate in and out of the daily bag.

Currently they are:

Nikkor 35-105mm f 3.5-4.5. Macro on this is a bit better than other zooms.

Series "E" 100mm f2.8.

Nikkor 28mm f 3.5. This one rotates in and out of the bag quite a bit. It really depends on what I'm doing.
It has a tendency to be out of the bag when I really need to use it. I suspect a disturbance in the force there- just one of those foibles I haven't been really able to work out.

That's what's currently in there as of today.

Other non-optical always in it essentials are:

CRKT M-16 knife.

Leatherman "Sidekick" multi-tool

A bic disposable lighter.

A roll of black electrican's tape which has come in incredibly handy in more situations than I thought possible.

A "Hurricane" blower bulb without the brush. I keep losing or wrecking those soft bristle brushes and have given up on them.

A good handful of Zeiss lens wipes.

A two stage pocket knife sharpener which would other wise be impossible to find if it wasn't kept in the bag.

The whole works weighs between 2 or 3 kg, depending on which lenses are in it.

I seem to do okay with this amount of kit.

The other secondary lens bag comes with me when travelling out of town...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuji X-T10
Pergear 23mm 1.8
Zenitar M2S 50mm f2
Super Takumar 105 2.8
Fotasy M42 to Fuji Helicoid adapter
M42 to Fuji Lens Turbo 2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be clear, carry means carrying personally. Ie backpack, lens vest or so on that you would carry with you for a walkabout. This is my "go to", as these lenses live in the backpack (Lowepro 300), but I frequently will mix it up with a specific lens, or set I want to get to know a bit better, for example I took out the 90mm and used the telearton 85 just the other day. If I am going downtown of an evening I might swap out the 40 and the 28 for the (rather large and heavy contax zeiss 35mm 1.4. If I expect to see birds I might reduce the mid wides and toss in a 500mm mirror. I did that the other day to check the IQ of the OM 500 mirror in conjunction with the 2x teleconverter.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't usually have a kit to speak of either but I gravitate to bring a Minolta MD Zoom 35-70mm 3.5 macro or MD Zoom 70-210mm depending on the expected circumstances.

Or just a 50mm prime for bokeh. It can be a Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm 1.4 c/y or Rollei Planar 50mm 1.8.

A favorite wide for forests is the Samyang 14mm 2.8. Usually taken as the only lens.

Some of the time a have a secondary analog camera with a 35mm.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No such thing for me really; I just pick whatever I fancy on the day, usually something I haven't used in a while.

The Victorian elite travellers had it sorted; they simply brought everything and had some twenty locals cary it around for them for a very small fee...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take numerous photos to include in reports for my job on an industrial site. My normal camera is a Nex-3 and only has one lens, a Laowa 10mm F/4. I use that camera for most daylight work, and it fits in my overalls top pocket.

For any work at night or in poorly lit areas, or when I just want the best quality, I use a Panasonic S1 with some Minolta SR mount lenses:

A 4/4 version of the MD 135/2.8 lens, which has a couple of minor issues with the front element
An MDIII 50mm F/1.7 which was spare and in my sell pile
A Vivitar (Tokina) 17mm F/3.5 I bought locally for around $20. It had front element fungus I couldn't 100% remove, but also had slightly better IQ than the Spiratone version I already had.

Of the three, the vast majority of shots are taken with the 17mm.

For any closeup shots of equipment nameplates etc, I just use a company owned Canon point and shoot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question suggests a single bag, not the way I work!
I have at least 5 bags, with different kit in.

One has my k5ii along with 6 lenses (normally fisheye to 300mm + a TC)
Another has my FS converted A7ii with typically 6 or 7 lenses (14mm to 500mm) + adapters + filters...
The one I took today was one of my lighter kits the Pentax Q with 4 native lenses & some adapted bits - I was surprised to find the macro from the A7 bag got transferred to this one - presumably last summer while in Wales when I headed out with the A7ii & the Q kit. It needs to move back! This would probably half the weight of the bag & restore my normal macro to the A7ii.
There's a MFT bag with both converted & normal bodies as well as a handful of lenses
A smaller bag at work holds one of my Foveon cameras & a spare lens
I'm not sure if the cases with my 5x4 cameras count, though one of them should be carried off for shooting at some point by spring...

Sometimes when heading out for a specific role the lenses in any of my bags can be revised completely & sometimes I'll carry a second bag for special lenses other times it'll simply be a bare camera & perhaps a lens or two in a pocket.
Currently in the car are 2 studio flashes, a strobe, lightstands, brollys, snoods/reflectors/grids etc, 3 tripods, and a large collection of oddball kit. The shoot tomorrow that much of this was planned to be used for has now been delayed by a week so hopefully I can manage another week without the rear seat Smile

Last edited by DConvert on Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... despite a decent amount of sweet vintage lenses and a trusty A7ii i use two entirely different pieces WAY more frequently:

My Ricoh GRii and an old beaten-up sony hx90v (a superzoom compact, 24-700 equivalent)! In fact i rarely leave home without either one of these cameras. The Ricoh is a street photography beast and the sony has great creative potential with that insane zoom.

But yeah this is mflenses... so my preferred "proper" kit (for portrait / concert photography):

Sony A7ii with
- Voigtländer 12/5.6 or Tokina 17/3.5
- Contax 28/2.8
- Contax 85/1.4

If i feel like taking only one lens i often pick the planar 50/1.4 or the Minolta 35-70/3.5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In digital (using manual focus) Sony a1 with Sony 24-70 /2,8 II and Sony 135/1,8

In film, contaflex Super B with tessar 50/2,8 and Pro tessar 85/3,2.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently shooting mostly film.
Pentax ME Super and SMC Pentax 30mm f2.8 has been my main combination for walkabouts.

My last Digital outing was further afield and I took Fuji X-E2s with a three lens kit:
Samyang 12mm f2
Vario-Sonnar 28-85
Vario-Sonnar 80-200

Cheers
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do mostly macro. In one shoulder bag:

Olympus EM1 (1) (m4/3) with FL-LM2 on hot shoe to control RC flash
2 FL-300R RC tilting flash guns
Olympus 4/3 adapter MMF-2
Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 macro
Olympus 4/3 x2 TC
Olympus 30mm f3.6 macro
Laowa 25mm f2.8 2.5x-5x ultra-macro
Laowa m4/3 7.5mm
Lumix G Vario f3.5-5.6 14.45mm Aspherical

In a second shoulder bag, mostly containing lunch and sample boxes for specimens for “studio” work:

Panasonic 100 - 400mm Leica DG Vario-Elmar
Two telescopic trail camera spikes for flash guns
Flash bracket (almost never used).

If I am out with my Sony full frame A7r3 it is likely to be a back pack with mostly manual wide angle or ultra-wide angle lenses, several Laowa, and many legacy, mostly Nikon F mount, to chose from and mostly still untested. Nikon F shift adapter or shift lens: Canon 35mm f2.8 T/S (untested) of OM 24 mm.

I would have the Kiron 105mm along for any unexpected macro.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuji X-T20
    Pentax-A 28 mm f/2.8
    Pentax-M 50 mm f/1.7
    Olympus Zuiko 100 mm f/2.8

I always go out with three lenses, these are the most used but the triptych varies according to need.

For example, another triptych could be this :

RMC Tokina 17 mm f/3.5
    Olympus OM Zuiko MC Auto-W 24 mm f/2.8
    Minolta MC W.Rokkor 35 mm f/2.8

Or this :

Minolta MC W.Rokkor 35 mm f/2.8
    Rolleinar MC 85 mm f/2.8
    Minolta MC Tele Rokkor 135 mm f/2.8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSLR with AF 2.8/16-35 and AF 2.8/70-200 lenses. No MF stuff.

Sometimes A7RII with Canon TS-E 4/17mm and/or 2.8/300 or 2.8/400 in addition to the above.
Occasionally AF 2/100 or AF 2.8/200 for portraits (when I consider the 2.8/70-200 as too heavy).

Pretty simple setup, indeed.

S

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
To be clear, carry means carrying personally.

I have few problems with this over my shoulder- A rather beat looking Lowe-Pro A/W 30, and if I'm taking pictures, it's over my shoulder.
I tried with the A/W (all/weather) 80, but it's too big and heavy to carry any more than I have to.

Time for a new bag, based on the appearance of the A/W 30, which I had bought used. Probably a mid-80's bag.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A7RII+28-75/2.8 Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:
To be clear, carry means carrying personally.

I have few problems with this over my shoulder- A rather beat looking Lowe-Pro A/W 30, and if I'm taking pictures, it's over my shoulder.
I tried with the A/W (all/weather) 80, but it's too big and heavy to carry any more than I have to.

Time for a new bag, based on the appearance of the A/W 30, which I had bought used. Probably a mid-80's bag.

-D.S.

I can recommend the Tenba Solstice 10L sling bag. It’s weatherproof, and you can easily move it from your back to your belly while walking and have quick access to all your lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well simple IS good. I go with the single lens option when not expecting a variety of "kodak moments". Sometimes I'll forego the bag and slip a lens or two in a coat pocket.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my bag today… a Bronica SQ-Ai, PS 65mm and some Portra 160 - my Xmas present to myself.

More typically an Eos R, and FD or C/Y glass alongside the RF 35/1.8 which is my main walk-around lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On most walks or regular outings i'll only carry, in hands, one of the 50mm' i own .... and i always carry a polariser...

On longer trips abroad i usually carry 3 or 4 Voigtländer lenses, adapter, polariser, remote, batteries and charger and a mini tripod.

I'm leaving on a trip soon, so i've divised plans to carry a small set, trying to travel "light"....
I could bring the usual Voigtländer travel set, but i wanted something different this time around ....

I've made up three sets, you may help me decide !!

1. CZ Distagon 2.5/25 - CZ Planar 1.4/50 - CZ Sonnar 2.8/85
2. Minolta MD 2.8/24 - MD 1.2/50 - MD 2.8/85
3. Leitz Wetzlar Summicron-R 2/35 - Leitz Tele-Elmarit-M 2.8/90

The 3rd set starts with a strike against it since it needs two different adapters, and two different polarizers....
My vintage canon stuff i never bring on trips abroad ...

Sets must fit in my Wotancraft Ryker camera bag

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
I can recommend the Tenba Solstice 10L sling bag. It’s weatherproof, and you can easily move it from your back to your belly while walking and have quick access to all your lenses.

I love this backpack, perfect for going out with my Fuji and three lenses:

Think Tank Tumstyle 5 V2 : https://www.amazon.it/Think-Tank-710456-THINKTANK-5-V2-0-Charcoal/dp/B072C54T8X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a-1p-2eofk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Well simple IS good. I go with the single lens option when not expecting a variety of "kodak moments". Sometimes I'll forego the bag and slip a lens or two in a coat pocket.

Similar experience now. Some months already, for portraits and cityscapes, carried in a small Crumpler bag for walks: one of my salvaged/converted 45mm 1.7 to 1.9 rangefinder lenses on the A7RII. Right now the Fujinon 45mm 1.8 of a Fujica V2. I should test which of the 10 satisfies me best in IQ, rendering and handling. On the other hand a 35mm of similar size would suit me better, possibly the Pergear 35mm 1.4 as a salvaged 35mm compact camera lens will not bring corner quality on FF. The 45mm ones struggle already on that aspect. Anything equal to the Mamiya Sekor CS 35mm 2.8 but smaller would be alright.

I have to get a bag that fits my bicycle bags and can carry about 4 to 5 lenses + a body. Best I can do now is 3 in a bag and then I have to use only the smaller ones from 17 to 135mm, longer will not fit. Possibly make it myself as I have done with another 5 lenses bag that does not fit the new bike bags. Good for the car though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to health issues I am somewhat weight constrained, so my daily carry is a Billingham Small Hadley Pro with my E-M1 Mk.II and one lens.

Which lens depends on what I expect to be doing. For example, trip to the zoo usually one of my 200mm 4.0's (such as the Canon FD, next time perhaps my Pentax M). Or perhaps the Leitz R 180mm 4.0. Geese in the park, ditto. Walking around town, lately In will use either a Pentax M 40-80mm or Olympus Four Thirds 14-54mm.

Regards, C.