Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Every Day Carry Kit
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Every Day Carry Kit Reply with quote

Over the past few month I have been assembling a little EDC (Every Day Carry) camera kit with manual lenses. Most of the lenses are M42 mount that I am using on my Fuji XT-1 and a Lens Turbo II. I think I have a pretty good kit put together and will continue to upgrade the lenses as $$$ allows. It consists of:

Rokinon 8mm f2.8 (Fuji X mount)
Spiratone 20mm f2.8 (M42)
Pergear 35mm f1.6 (Fuji X)
SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 (M42)
Helios 44-M 58mm f2 (M42)
Jupiter 9 85mm f2 (M42)
Jupiter 37A MC (M42)
Super Takumar 200mm f4 (M42)

I really like the Pergear 35mm, but am probably looking to upgrade that to an M42 lens first. From there I think I would like to replace the Spiratone 20mm with a CZ Flek, but that will take some time. I would also like to upgrade my camera body to either a Fuji XT-4 or a Sony A7ii for in body stabilization. Any other thoughts of gaps that I need to fill?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Every Day Carry Kit Reply with quote

mr_tibbs2004 wrote:
. . .
Any other thoughts of gaps that I need to fill?

If you're interested in trying a 28mm, I recommend the SMC Pentax 28 f/3.5.

It has good sharpness even at f/3.5 and is consistent across the frame on my Sony A7ii. Although it may lack contrast compared to modern lenses.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-28mm-F3.5-Lens.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much does all that weigh? What is used to carry all that? I ask because my current bag of three lenses, Nikon Nikkor-P Auto 105mm f/2.5 Pre-AI, Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Standard Lens (SEL50F18F) on A7RII camera, and Super Takumar 35 F2 first (FAT) version, in Lowepro Off Trail 1 Camera Bag seems pretty heavy to me, lugging up & down some rugged terrain here! Thanks...

(photo ebay seller bigislandtreasurehunter)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on your camera, if the sensor is APS-C or Full frame. For a full frame every day kit I would probably look for something like 28mm, 50mm, 135mm and maybe a 85- or 100mm for portraits, but of course that’s personal.

If you limit yourself to M42 it could easily become heavy kit. I don’t have an every day kit but a combination that is not overly heavy and I like is for example:

- Minolta 35mm f/2.8 MD
- Minolta 50mm f/2 MD
- Nikkor ai 85mm f/2 or Zuiko OM 100mm f/2.8
- Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f/3.5

The SMC Pentax 28mm f/3.5 is also great, but a bit heavier.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
How much does all that weigh? What is used to carry all that? I ask because my current bag of three lenses, Nikon Nikkor-P Auto 105mm f/2.5 Pre-AI, Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Standard Lens (SEL50F18F) on A7RII camera, and Super Takumar 35 F2 first (FAT) version, in Lowepro Off Trail 1 Camera Bag seems pretty heavy to me, lugging up & down some rugged terrain here! Thanks...

Great question and I should probably specify this is more of a travel kit, not a carry kit, but I do carry it on occasion. I usually have the camera out and ready with a lens on (right now the Jupiter 9 on the Lens Turbo II) and that combo weighs around 1.6 lbs. The bag with the other lenses weighs in around 6.5 lbs.

I use this bag for the lenses: Clicky

And I stuff that into this bag with my other stuff: Other clicky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fairly comprehensive focal range.
I have often taken a similar assortment of lenses as a travel kit and found that I never use them all.
A very good exercise is to take a day kit of one camera and one lens, and see what you can do with it.
It forces you to move, change position , move forward or back, alter perspective etc
I have found that most of my better images were taken in this fashion
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
I have often taken a similar assortment of lenses as a travel kit and found that I never use them all.
A very good exercise is to take a day kit of one camera and one lens, and see what you can do with it.
It forces you to move, change position , move forward or back, alter perspective etc
Tom

That's a great point that I absolutely understand. I do think I will pair this kit down after time goes on, but while I have the room and energy to carry this around I'll keep experimenting and see what works and what I'm not using.

There are other lenses that I didn't include that were just to big or I just didn't use them. I have a Rokinon 14mm f2.8 that I love for landscapes, but it's a beast and I don't want to lug it around in this kit. I also purchased a Spiratone 135mm f2.8 that I feel is very sharp, but it weighs an absolute ton so I replaced it with the Jupiter 37A.

Also, the reason I'm trying M42 mount lenses is to take advantage of the Lens Turbo. If I make a switch over to the Sony A7ii I can try other mount lenses and lose the weight of the Lens Turbo.....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_tibbs2004 wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Tom

That's a great point that I absolutely understand. I do think I will pair this kit down after time goes on, but while I have the room and energy to carry this around I'll keep experimenting and see what works and what I'm not using.

There are other lenses that I didn't include that were just to big or I just didn't use them. I have a Rokinon 14mm f2.8 that I love for landscapes, but it's a beast and I don't want to lug it around in this kit. I also purchased a Spiratone 135mm f2.8 that I feel is very sharp, but it weighs an absolute ton so I replaced it with the Jupiter 37A.

Also, the reason I'm trying M42 mount lenses is to take advantage of the Lens Turbo. If I make a switch over to the Sony A7ii I can try other mount lenses and lose the weight of the Lens Turbo.....

You might want to look at the Super-Takumar 35mm f3.5 which is of course M42.
It is small and stellar
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
mr_tibbs2004 wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Tom

Do you prefer the f3.5 over the f2.0?

It is small and stellar
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_tibbs2004 wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
mr_tibbs2004 wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Tom

It is small and stellar
Tom

As an all purpose lens in 35mm the 3.5/35 is very hard to beat.
I have the f2 Takumar, but it is softer and a more moody lens.
The 3.5 is also much cheaper
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

(photo ebay seller bigislandtreasurehunter)

Less than my old kit I used to EDC, a 1DIII + 16-35/2.8LII, 24-105/4LIS, 70-200/2.8LIS, 50/1.2L, and 85/1.2LII, in a Lowepro Slingshot 200AW, and occasionally the 400/4L in a KATA 3N1-30...

That was not lightweight at all, a few all day romps provided the urge for something smaller and lighter, enter my NEX-7 and rangefinder lenses, CV15II, Canon S 35/2.8, Topcor-S 50/2, and Canon S 100/3.5 all in a Lowepro Streamline 100 bag with an extra foam & Velcro partition, this bag + camera & lenses was the same size and almost the same weight as the 1DIII by its self, now, that was an EDC.
The Lowepro divider enclosed the camera at on end in a nice compact slot, the new divider divided that remaining volume in half, the CV15 in the bottom, covered with a micro fibre cloth, the Topcor on top, the Canon 100/3.5 went in the bottom of the last cavity, covered with the Canon 35 wrapped in another micro fibre cloth, a spare battery in the little pouch, remotes and cords and cards in the zipped compartment.
My current EDC is A7r + CV15III, transplanted Contax G 45/2, and Leica M 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit. I think the A7cII could replace the A7r if the EVF is improved. (Added a Yashica Super Yashinin-R Tominon 3.5cm f2.8 preset)
I've been mostly using a Lowepro Event Messenger 150 for the A7r and a mix of lenses plus my iPad, it's great for travel but the bag not dust resistant since it's only a flap, I've wanted a less 'Photographic' looking bag for travel for a while now.
I can fit the A7r in the Streamline, but it's not ideal, it's more discreet, because it's so small, especially if I have a jacket on, I can slip it inside the jacket to remove most of the temptation.

Last edited by Lightshow on Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
mr_tibbs2004 wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
mr_tibbs2004 wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Tom

It is small and stellar
Tom

As an all purpose lens in 35mm the 3.5/35 is very hard to beat.
I have the f2 Takumar, but it is softer and a more moody lens.
The 3.5 is also much cheaper
Tom

The Super Takumar 35 F2 first (FAT) version is sharper than the much smaller second 1:2/35 version. The Super-Takumar 35mm f3.5 is even smaller! The Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 35mm f3.5 has more contrast and flare resistance.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been giving this a great deal of thought over the past couple of months.

I'm still doing a bit of film here and there, so there is a bit of additional weight.
I've got the nikon curse though, and am more or less limited in glass choices.
I find I have been doing a lot more shooting since I got my D-200.
I seem to be currently revolving around 3 different lenses:

1.) The P.C. 55mm f 3.5 micro. Hands-down, this lens sees the most use.
That may change with the on-coming cooler weather, and the flowers and insects disappear.

2.) The 50mm f-2 Nikkor, which is still actually a bit of a "speed" lens to me.
The AI/s variant I am using seems a bit more prone to flare than the earlier dark green coated versions.

3.) 200mm f4- indispensable for out-door work, especially over water bodies where I simply cannot "walk up".
It also serves as a range-finder for my earlier period 120 folders.

I find myself trying to figure out ways to get the 28mm f 3.5 into the bag. It would make some situations much easier...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think You already have a smalll but nice collection of manual glass. You may consider buying 24mm lens to close the gap between the 20 and 35mm. IMHO it makes more sence than to get 28mm, which however will be cheaper. The M42 candidates are from Pentax (prefferably), Sigma or Tamron. The rest 24mms with M42 is rather exotic. I would also stick to only one lens mount for travel or everyday kit, You may save some weight with small lenses and only one adapter. Take a look on Minoltas, they are higly regarded and until now more or less affordable if You are not into the maximum apertures. Canon, Olympus, Nikon or Pentax are also good. M42 lenses are usually older developments and may have weaker corners on FF cameras. Russian and DDR lenses may have quality issues (both optical and mechanical).

My travel kit several years ago when I took my family to Rome was:

Canon 5D MarkII +

Canon FD 15/2,8 Fish-Eye EF converted
Canon FD 20/2,8 EF converted
Olympus OM Zuiko 24/2,0
Canon FD 35/2,8 TS EF converted
Canon FD 55/1,2 EF converted
Olympus OM Zuiko 85/2,0
Minolta MC Rokkor 135/2,8 EF converted

It was enough for me and I usually had maximal 5 lenses with me (space and weight limitation of my bag) and I'm still very happy with the pictures I have taken. My selcetion was partly based on compactness and on the quality. OM-EF adapter is really small, so virtually all lenses were with EF mounts.

I also find, that upgrading the camera to FF will make more sence. Possibly You may get Sony A7III or may be Nikon Z6, they all are quite good. Simply choose according to Your budget and the availability. I'm not so familar with Fujis.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a carry kit, I'd stick with one lens, two at the most. Instead of more lenses I'd get a speedlight of some sort.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can attest to the quality of the Takumar 35/3.5 as well, but you have to stop down a bit for real sharpness. But the images have great color and 'punch'. It's very very tiny as well, and mechanically superb, a real joy to shoot with.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Super(Multi-Coated) Takumar 35mm F3.5 is a very fine lens. For more close focussing happiness and brightness, get the CZJ Flektogon 35mm 1:2.4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Tom

Excellent advice!

S

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on a cycling tour next week so robustness is necessary.

A7RII
OM 16MM Wider than the canon 17L so useful in for architecture and ceilings.
Adaptall SP 24-48mm
Adaptall SP 60-300mm

The 16mm is most fragile.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say I have three kits:

1) Dream kit (when I won't be walking much): Nikon 14-24/2.8 (AF), Nikon 24-70/2.8 (AF), Tamron Adaptall-2 80-200/2.8
2) Walkaround kit: Tamron 20-40/2.7-3.5 (AF), and the newly acquired (thanks to a recommendation on this forum!) Nikon 50-135/3.5 Ai-S.
3) Fun kit (the primes): Vivitar 28/2 Close Focus, Vivitar 35/1.9, Vivitar 50/1.4, Nikon 55/3.5 Ai Micro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisible wrote:

1) Dream kit (when I won't be walking much): Nikon 14-24/2.8 (AF), Nikon 24-70/2.8 (AF), Tamron Adaptall-2 80-200/2.8
2) Walkaround kit: Tamron 20-40/2.7-3.5 (AF), and the newly acquired (thanks to a recommendation on this forum!) Nikon 50-135/3.5 Ai-S.
3) Fun kit (the primes): Vivitar 28/2 Close Focus, Vivitar 35/1.9, Vivitar 50/1.4, Nikon 55/3.5 Ai Micro

Have you shot much with the 50-135 yet? it's a surprising lens. The macro feature is a bit....oh mediocre is a nice way to put it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisible wrote:

I see you like Vivitar lenses! What mount are your lenses your using?

I have the definite feeling that I will pair down this kit, but it's nice to have a lens when you need it. I also stuck with all prime lenses vs using some zoom lenses. I have a few AF Fuji lenses for my other camera body, but this is a play kit with nothing but manual lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HansMoleman wrote:
invisible wrote:

Have you shot much with the 50-135 yet? it's a surprising lens. The macro feature is a bit....oh mediocre is a nice way to put it.

Hans, it was you who recommended it -- thank you again! So far I've taken a few quick portraits in the garden, and I find the lens pretty sharp and with more-than-pleasing bokeh. I haven't tried the macro feature but frankly I've been disappointed too many times by macro features in zooms to care about them anymore Wink

mr_tibbs2004 wrote:
I see you like Vivitar lenses! What mount are your lenses your using?

All of them are Nikon F mount except the 50/1.4 which -- as far as I know -- doesn't exist in Nikon mount. I use it with a glassless M42>Nikon F adapter, so it can't focus farther than a meter or two... but the lens is so much fun that I don't mind. I still need to try it with an extension tube (or maybe with the Vivitar macro teleconverter) to see how it does for macro work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Tom

I echo Tom's thoughts , when I go out it is 1 camera 1 lens depending on what I am shooting . I have a lot of lenses to choose from , my GAS has resulted in probably 60 plus lenses .

A decent nifty fifty , of which there are many, is a versatile walkabout lens .

Stay safe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max78 wrote:
I would also stick to only one lens mount for travel or everyday kit, You may save some weight with small lenses and only one adapter.

I genuinely hate the M42 for the fact that it is so bothersome to swap lenses that it's actually better to pair every single one with its own adapter and skip the unscrewing-screwing part entirely. It's a disadvantage that literally not a single bayonet nor breech mount system has, where you usually have one adapter and can switch lenses without wasting too much time nor space in your storage.