Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

rollei 50 1.4 hft convert to canon eos mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: rollei 50 1.4 hft convert to canon eos mount Reply with quote

is it possible to convert the qbm mount into canon mount of a 50 1.4 rollei-hft planar?
what is the purpose of the two screws near the auto-aperture pin?
is it safe to screw off them?
thank you very much
best regards
andrea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to convert, you can just buy an adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought a fotodiox
so i can use it
but for the mirror there is a trick by Orio
do focus on 1 mt or less...
live-view on and focus where you want and shot!
i payed the lens only 110euro...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well bought at 110 Euro, for sure. I don't have this Rollei lens though I have the 85 2.8 rolleinar and the 50 1.8 HFT.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be possible. Go qbm to m mount and then m mount to eos with a hellicoid. I have adapted everything I own to m mount and then have a hellicoid m on my a7 and a straight m on the gfx... The hellicoid will allow you to get close.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you will have infinity with that set up though. QBM flange distance is actually about 6/10ths MM closer than EOS. But I think with creative design the adapters allow the lens to fit inside the EOS socket and still reach infiinity.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I don't think you will have infinity with that set up though. QBM flange distance is actually about 6/10ths MM closer than EOS. But I think with creative design the adapters allow the lens to fit inside the EOS socket and still reach infiinity.

It will have no problem if the adapter is a well made one. The only problem is some lenses need to file down in the rear ring to clear the mirror on FF EOS camera.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatorengineer64 wrote:
This may be possible. Go qbm to m mount and then m mount to eos with a hellicoid. I have adapted everything I own to m mount and then have a hellicoid m on my a7 and a straight m on the gfx... The hellicoid will allow you to get close.

Bad advice.

The only thing needed is a simple adapter:

https://ukcameraequipment.co.uk/product/rollei-qbm-mount-lens-to-canon-eos-ef-mount-converter-adapter/

I have one of these fitted to a Planar 1.8/50 and it works perfectly on all of my EOS cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Gatorengineer64 wrote:

Bad advice.

The only thing needed is a simple adapter:

https://ukcameraequipment.co.uk/product/rollei-qbm-mount-lens-to-canon-eos-ef-mount-converter-adapter/

I have one of these fitted to a Planar 1.8/50 and it works perfectly on all of my EOS cameras.

yes i bought the fotodiox qbm to eos adapter and one converter adapter ... like the one in the link (same brand from uk camera equipment)

but the planar 50 1.4 has 5 screws....

http://forum.mflenses.com/new-generation-of-defective-rollei-qbm-adapters-t56894.html

the_x_vision wrote:
this is a mount changing adapter, you need to remove those 3 or 5 screws off and then take the bayonet piece away from the lens, then match up the screws holes and get the screws on from the back side of the adapter to hold the lens Smile

all this hard work is worth it for this beatiful lens Wink

if the qbm to eos adapter will work i prefer this method

Last edited by metallaro1980 on Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I must be wrong about the "inside the EOS neck" thing. I did use the mount altering type on my Rolleinar 85mm 2.8. I think now that I bought the other lens after I switched to E-mount Sony system. I will try to examine my adapted Rolleinar to see what it is like.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metallaro1980 wrote:

the_x_vision wrote:
this is a mount changing adapter, you need to remove those 3 or 5 screws off and then take the bayonet piece away from the lens, then match up the screws holes and get the screws on from the back side of the adapter to hold the lens Smile

all this hard work is worth it for this beatiful lens Wink

if the qbm to eos adapter will work i prefer this method

Here is one with 5 screws. May be this one will work?!
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metallaro1980 wrote:
i bought a fotodiox
so i can use it
but for the mirror there is a trick by Orio
do focus on 1 mt or less...
live-view on and focus where you want and shot!
i payed the lens only 110euro...

.....or you could buy a nice Sony mirrorless and use the QBM-NEX adapter the way God intended;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is useless to use live-view to take pictures of landscapes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metallaro1980 wrote:
it is useless to use live-view to take pictures of landscapes

No it isn't, I have spent the last decade doing exactly that and with great success.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/new-generation-of-defective-rollei-qbm-adapters-t56894.html

GeorgeSalt wrote:
I've just fitted an adapter to a CZ Tele-Tessar 135/4 HFT which also has the five-screw fitting. It was a fiddle, the 4th and 5th screws hold a sprung cam operated by the aperture pin. And there is no way I can see to do it without removing the aperture pin (which most instructions tell you to leave in place.

Remove the inner baffle behind the rear element with a lens wrench and observe how the cam works - you'll need to get it back into this position later (the arm from the pin rides on-top of the cam roller).

Undo all five screws, remove the mount and extract the cam mechanism and the pin (watch, it has a spring that you need).

Use the 4th and 5th screws (the very short ones) to attach the cam mechanism to the new mount.

Now you need to get the pin and spring back into the locating hole. Hold it down with something (small screwdriver) through the mount opening whilst you lower the mount down into place. Keep the arm if the pin towards the centre of the lens (don't try and engage it with the cam yet). As you lower the mount the bottom of the cam will hopefully connect with the upward facing pin (it's not really a pin, it's flat but it sticks up). If not you may need to nudge the flat pin a bit. Lower the mount, holding the pin down until the mount is close enough to catch the pin and hold it in pace (there's 3-4mm of the pin below the locating hole that gives you leeway).

If you're lucky you can swing the arm onto the roller of the cam. My mount adapter had two screws holding down the piece that holds the pin down. I loosened one to allow me to raise the pin enough to swing over onto the cam roller and then secured it down again.

Put the inner baffle back behind the rear element.

There is no way I'm undoing this one for photographic instructions, but if I get another QBM lens I need to adapt I'll get photos then. Or if I'm mad enough to decide to switch this one for a chipped adapter at a later date.

it is not a simply operation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got the fotodiox adapter but in order to have infinity focus i had to stop down to at least f5.6.

this is a link of a video where you can see how to disassembly a rollei lens with five screws on the mount

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fvCIn6mauBY

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metallaro1980 wrote:
i got the fotodiox adapter but in order to have infinity focus i had to stop down to at least f5.6.

As long as the back of the lens doesn't hit the mirror, you could just modify the calibration of the focussing ring in order to reach infinity wide open. I don't have the 50 mm f/1,4, but with the 50 mm f/1,8 it's as easy as unscrewing the front barrel and losing the screws connecting the focussing ring to the helicoid. I'm quite opposed to "butchering" a perfectly working lens if a temporary adapter is available.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsatian2017 wrote:
metallaro1980 wrote:

As long as the back of the lens doesn't hit the mirror, you could just modify the calibration of the focussing ring in order to reach infinity wide open. I don't have the 50 mm f/1,4, but with the 50 mm f/1,8 it's as easy as unscrewing the front barrel and losing the screws connecting the focussing ring to the helicoid. I'm quite opposed to "butchering" a perfectly working lens if a temporary adapter is available.

there are not the screws near-under the front barrel.
the only screws are located on the rubber focusing ring (they also are very small)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metallaro1980 wrote:
Alsatian2017 wrote:
metallaro1980 wrote:

there are not the screws near-under the front barrel.
the only screws are located on the rubber focusing ring (they also are very small)

OK, interesting. So You'll have to work with the screws you mentionned Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes but my zuiko 50 1.8 Made in Japan is the sharpest 50mm of mine
a monster of sharpness stopped down! Shocked
so i have ordered a conversion-mount with 5 holes for screws from cina

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my Rolleyflex and other lenses has permanent EOS adapters attached. it is so inexpensive and simple. As my mirror cameras are Canons, I have one adapter on Sony, NEX/EOS to feet all the lenses I have.