Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

YS mount for Sigma lenses only?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject: YS mount for Sigma lenses only? Reply with quote

That's the question. Was the YS mount a Sigma patent, meant for sigma lenses only, or has it been used by others. Does then an YS mount mean the lens is Sigma made? Thanks for comments.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: YS mount for Sigma lenses only? Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
That's the question. Was the YS mount a Sigma patent, meant for sigma lenses only, or has it been used by others. Does then an YS mount mean the lens is Sigma made? Thanks for comments.

No, there were other manufacturers of YS lenses including Sun and Polaris. All of these lenses were sold with many other brand names, too.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. But was polaris not just a reseller name? I thought so. (have one)

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
Thanks Dave. But was polaris not just a reseller name? I thought so. (have one)

Possibly, but at least some of the Polaris lenses seemed to be unique designs. I don't remember seeing the YS 85mm f/1.7 as either a Sigma or Sun, for example, though it was re-branded as Accura and Spiratone.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two main manufacturers sold YS mount lenses, Sigma and Sun, Sankor is counted as being a part of the Sun group of companies, or perhaps a subsidiary. Polaris lenses with YS mount were generally made by Sigma from my experience looking around.

Things get complicated slightly by the fact that many YS third party lenses never really appeared with a Sigma or Sun badge on them. One exception is the 70-230mm Sigma zoom, which did appear as a two touch third party lens, and both a one touch and two touch zooms of that slightly unusual focal length spread were sold by Sigma, but with very different styling for the Sigma versions.

However I did find today on ebay a Sigma 2 touch 70-230mm F/4.5 lens with the same styling as the third party lenses, somewhat unusual. https://www.ebay.com/itm/112537549632?hash=item1a33c2bb40:g:BQIAAOSwWLFZnYJz

This lens is identical to those sold as Polaris, Accura, Chinon, Rikenon, Miranda, Yashinon, and probably others.

This lens is also sold as Soligor with a slightly changed focal length spread of 70-235mm F/4.5, but it's the same lens:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164911662437

Of interest is the '6' serial # prefix. The online Soligor serial number guide has '6' as Komine but I disagree and think it's Sigma. Other lenses sold by Soligor with the 6 serial include one version of the 135mm F/1.8, as per this thread: http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-tele-auto-135mm-f-1-8-history-t79084.html

One styling cue from the 70-230mm lenses is the aperture selector, with the lowest number slightly offset from the others:

This styling cue can be seen on other YS mount lenses which I also believe to be made by Sigma, one of which is the slightly ambitious 55-300mm F/4.5 lens commonly sold as Polaris, and occasionally as Petri.

The last lens I want to comment on is the 85mm F/1.7 commonly sold as Polaris or Accura. Due to the styling similarities between that and the 135mm F/1.8 lens, I believe that to also be a Sigma lens, although, as with the 55-300mm lens, I have never seen them badged as Sigma.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and

I have this SIGMATEL YS MC 1,8/135mm lens, with an CONTAX mount, and I am using the lens with an Carl Zeiss MUTAR II concerter, which works perfectly with the lens!