Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

first frames nikkor P 105mm f2.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:49 pm    Post subject: first frames nikkor P 105mm f2.5 Reply with quote

Nice purple coatings make this one very attractive.

Plenty of aperture there for a short telephoto.

90% crop of a full frame monochrome showing a grey bushy tail squirrel's butt end at a little over 80 feet.
F8 and ISO 200.

Color test on some of Mrs.' painted ceramic figurines at mfd, wide open at ISO 400, window-sill back-lit.

Quick try on an extension tube giving approx. 1:1.
Wide open (equivalent aperture almost 5.6) and ISO 3200.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exempalry sharpness! Well done.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are three samples of the famous Nikkor - on the left an early sample of the Sonnar type Nippon Kogaku Nikkor-P Auto 1:2.5 f=10.5cm, in the middle the Nikkor-P Auto 1:2.5 f=105mm (Sonnar type as well), and on the right a multi-coated sample ot the Xenotar type Nikon Nikkor-P-C Auto 1:2.5 f=105mm.

Interestingly, the barrel of the Sonnar type lenses is slightly different, and the earlier sample has only "feet" markings (no "meter").

My first copy of the Nikkor-P-C Auto 1:2.5 f=105mm (not shown here) was quite a beaten sample which certainly had seen a lot of (professional) use. It came from the Interlaken area, a most beautiful spot in the Bernese Alps. A few years later my favourite local photo shop had a like-new sample of the same lens (the one shown here). Once I had the Xenotar type, of course I started looking for the Sonnar type as well ... and not much later an equally beautiful Sonnar type was for sale at a local auction. Finally the lens shown in the middle - not pristine, but fairly well preserved - was given to me for free, by the same shop where I had bought the Xenotar type lens.

Together, all three lenses shown here did cost a mere CHF 225.--.

S

PS. I still don't have a K type, Ai or AiS 2.5/105mm Nikkor ... Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there may have been some over/under-lap with when which coatings appeared on nikon lenses.
I haven't been able to find documentation of this yet- but some photos on the n/z phot. nikon lens site appear to be the same way.

The coating colors in your photo of the "P.C." appear identical to the coatings of my slightly earlier "P".

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a P and a K.

I think the K is a bit better, but they're both excellent.

To my eye the difference in rendering between the two types is quite evident if you compare them side-to-side.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver nose == Sonnar

Quite a different lens! (I like MUCH better Smile)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast pan shot at f4.
Interestingly enough, I was able to manual focus, work the aperture and pan for 2 frames that ended up almost in focus... Mr. Green

First shot at f2.5

F8 is where this lens seems to be happy...

-D.S.