Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need a recommendation for a 24mm lens in M42 mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:26 am    Post subject: Need a recommendation for a 24mm lens in M42 mount Reply with quote

I'm looking for a decent 24mm lens in M42 mount. The Takumar is the lens I've looked into the most but it seems to get pretty mediocre reviews. Is there anything else out there that is a better buy? Are any of the Vivitars any good? It's hard to keep track of all the different variations. I'm not looking to pay Zeiss money. Something under $200 preferably. Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the forum Search (tap link top of page, search for 24mm) for 533 topics already here. Smile

Or using your favorite internet search engine include "site:mflenses", such as "24mm site:mflenses.com" without the quotes...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Use the forum Search (tap link top of page, search for 24mm) for 533 topics already here. Smile

Or using your favorite internet search engine include "site:mflenses", such as "24mm site:mflenses.com" without the quotes...

Can you understand why I might not want to wade through 533 topics? I've done a fair bit of googling but am running low on leads. If forums aren't for chatting about lenses and looking for specific opinions what are they for?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently using a Spiratone 24mm f2.8 to fill that slot. While I wouldn't say it's a super sharp lens, it is fun! I believe this copy was made by Sun. See some examples below. I also am looking for something different in the wide range. I'll be interested to find out what you end up with!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably your newest bet would be a Tamron Adaptall-2 24mm f2.5 with an M42 adapter, although you might able to find later Vivitars or Soligor C/D lenses in M42 that launched around the same time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vandergus wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Can you understand why I might not want to wade through 533 topics? I've done a fair bit of googling but am running low on leads. If forums aren't for chatting about lenses and looking for specific opinions what are they for?

Yes I understand. Smile However posting the question now limits responses to currently active members, missing a great many members posts over the years.

Mflenses is encyclopedic. For example, try "24mm+comparison site:mflenses.com" using internet search engine; the forum search using "24mm+comparison" yields 4 matches. May I recommend http://forum.mflenses.com/24mm-lens-comparison-minolta-pentax-tokina-t76783.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
vandergus wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Yes I understand. Smile However posting the question now limits responses to currently active members, missing a great many members posts over the years.

Mflenses is encyclopedic. For example, try "24mm+comparison site:mflenses.com" using internet search engine; the forum search using "24mm+comparison" yields 4 matches. May I recommend http://forum.mflenses.com/24mm-lens-comparison-minolta-pentax-tokina-t76783.html
Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before recommending a lens I think it's important to know more information.
What camera and format are you using i.e. cropped sensor or full frame?
What genre of photography do you want to use it for i.e. landscapes?
Having said that, a lens that comes to mind is the excellent Kino manufactured Vivitar 24mm f2.
Btw, why are you restricted to M42?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ensinor or Club 24mm macro (same lens). Very sharp.

I have the Ensinor and would rate it as sharper than the Super-Tak (which I also have). I've used it on both 1.6x crop and full frame.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@vandergus

As Edgar already mentioned, it would be nice to know whether you want to use such a lens on FF, APS-C or MFT sensor camera.

Anyway, I had quite good results with the Tokina RMC 24/2.8 which should be available in M42 as well, at least on APS-C. On FF it can't compete with my other lenses from Minolta, Pentax and Voigtländer in this focal range.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Takumar isn't bad. I'd say more like the best of the bunch together with Tamron Adaptall-2 24mm 2.5 (01B or 01BB) and probably the Adaptall CW-24 which is likely the same optical formula. But you do have to look for hazy copies (Takumar) due cement degradation in the cemented group.

Last edited by D1N0 on Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Ensinor or Club 24mm macro (same lens). Very sharp.

I have the Ensinor and would rate it as sharper than the Super-Tak (which I also have). I've used it on both 1.6x crop and full frame.

I have the Ensinor too, an excellent lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
I had quite good results with the Tokina RMC 24/2.8 which should be available in M42

Often found cheaper as a Hoya HMC, the same lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, a bunch of good suggestions! I haven't looked into the Tamron Adaptall yet or even heard of the Ensinor. Thanks!

To answer some of the followup questions people had...I'll be using the lens on a Fuji X-T20 with both a dumb adapter and a focal reducer. I'm limiting the search to m42 right now because I'm picking up the Zhongy m42 to Fuji speedbooster. The only other Zhongy Lens Turbos I can find are Canon EF, Canon FD, and Nikon F, none of which I want to invest in. If I had my choice, I would get an MD to FX Lens Turbo but they don't seem to be making new ones and I can't find any used ones. I tried a Pixco but it had that weird blooming issue in the center. The "blue dot" problem that the Lens Turbo II was supposed to fix.

So that's how I got here Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vandergus wrote:
I'll be using the lens on a Fuji X-T20 with both a dumb adapter and a focal reducer. I'm limiting the search to m42 right now because I'm picking up the Zhongy m42 to Fuji speedbooster. The only other Zhongy Lens Turbos I can find are Canon EF, Canon FD, and Nikon F, none of which I want to invest in.

I have no experience with the speedboosters, but it seems to me, that Canon EF may be a better option, since You can mount much more lenses on it with the appropriate adapters (M42, Nikon F, Olympus OM, Praktica B, Exa, Pentax, Leica R, ...)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max78 wrote:
vandergus wrote:
I'll be using the lens on a Fuji X-T20 with both a dumb adapter and a focal reducer. I'm limiting the search to m42 right now because I'm picking up the Zhongy m42 to Fuji speedbooster. The only other Zhongy Lens Turbos I can find are Canon EF, Canon FD, and Nikon F, none of which I want to invest in.

I have no experience with the speedboosters, but it seems to me, that Canon EF may be a better option, since You can mount much more lenses on it with the appropriate adapters (M42, Nikon F, Olympus OM, Praktica B, Exa, Pentax, Leica R, ...)

Following similar logic I was going to suggest F mount, however, FD has the shortest register length...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like my Tamron 24mm f/2.5. It isn't an SP, but it performs like one. Good thing about the Tamron is you're not limited to M42.

Several years ago, I tested mine against my Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 AIs. It was about the same as the Nikkor at wider apertures, but by f/8, it was actually a bit sharper. Here's a link to the comparison. Scroll about halfway down for the images.

http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-24mm-f-2-5-t22049,highlight,%2Btamron+%2B24mm.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar Auto Wide Angle 24/2 (Kiron ) I like this lens, even though f2 is pretty much useless - it's a bit soft wide open. But 2.8 isn't bad and it gets better towards f8 It's a bit prone to fungus, the lens I have now is my third, the first two had slight fungus - but still perfectly usable. Probably my favourite 24mm.

Clubman + Tefnon ( Ensinor ) 24/2.8. Very good lens, possibly made by Kobori or TOYO Opticsit's. Found under many names, also seen as Ozunon, Ozone, maybe Cimko ? But it doesn't have the trademark unequal diamond focus mark that Cimko uses, and I've had a Cimko 28/2.8 which wasn't very good.

INA T2 Mount 25/3.5 I think this is an early Tokina made pre set lens, also found as Soligor. It's a lens of its time, not bad but certainly 'vintage' in its performance.

Hoya 24/2.8 Mine is Olympus OM mount, but same as M42, with the flat silver finish. It's a respected lens, but I don't like it. Mine is very soft, maybe a bad copy?

Carl Zeiss Jenna II 24/2.8 Made in Japan - a Cosina lens. So bad I gave it away, I wouldn't sell the wretched thing to anyone!

I have had a Tamron 01B 28/2.5 Which was excellent, maybe better than the Vivitar f2? I sold the Tamron, and wish I hadn't.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max78 wrote:

An interesting proposition. If EF could mount MD lenses without the need for extra glass I would seriously consider it. My long term plan is still to find a Zhongyi MD to FX adapter. But I have no idea how long it will take for one to show up. Could be a few weeks. Could be a few months. When I do, I can just transition any M42 lenses that I pickup to the new adapter.

But EF does open up a lot of different options, maybe too many. I am a little interested in KX and OM mount stuff. The search continues...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vandergus wrote:
My long term plan is still to find a Zhongyi MD to FX adapter.

Why not just start with 24mm MDs? Minolta's wide angles are really good and it will be difficult to beat them with M42 lenses. You can get Minolta and use it with the usual MD-FX adapter and later find the speedbooster.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vandergus wrote:
To answer some of the followup questions people had...I'll be using the lens on a Fuji X-T20 with both a dumb adapter and a focal reducer.

I got the Metabones Speedbooster for the CY mount. I can adapt m42 glass to CY with a simple screw on adapter. This gives me access to wonderful Yashica, Contax Zeiss, and m42 glass. Not to mention Tamron glass.

But if you have a long term plan to adopt MD glass, just go there already. Get the Metabones MD Speedbooster and don't look back.

The downside is that you can't use a large range of good glass. I have m39 and Konica glass that I wish I could use a focal reducer with for my Fuji, but thats a no go area.

Maybe sell your Fuji and get a Sony? No issues with mounts then Smile

Edit: one 24mm lens that noone have mentioned... Sigma Super-Wide II 24mm f2.8 - maybe it doesn't come in m42?