Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak Ektar 100 for Bill.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Kodak Ektar 100 for Bill. Reply with quote

Check this out Bill - this is Ektar 100...

Now that I've got myself a film scanner, I scanned one of those negs that I got printed a while back and where said print(s) had a godawful cyan cast and guess what, no cast. Looks like it was definitely the lab that screwed up the prints so based on this, I'm going to persist with Ektar.

Might be worth giving it another bash but scan and print them yourself...?

RB67 Pro-S + 4.5/180C:

Last edited by bob955i on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow and double-WOW! Bob, love the colors in this! Shocked

Congrats on that nifty scanner!

I'm adding Ektar in 120 to my next Freestyle order.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seriously impressed with Ektar now Bill.

Kodak's increasing the prices of their remaining film stock according to a thread in the announcements forum by the way so I'd stock up if I were you.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive! I rare or never seen this sharpness from color print film at infinity distance.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, Kodak's prices have gone up, but not as bad as Fuji.

in 120:
Reala 5-pack is $27.99
Kodak Ektar 5-pack is $21.99

Freestyle prices

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've seen the Fuji prices here in the UK but it depends on where you go though.

http://www.fujilab.co.uk/catalog/fujifilm-m-12.html

Reala 100 120 5pk @ £19.55GBP from the above.
Ektar 100 120 5pk @ £18.95GBP from a shop I've dealt with for years.

Can you still get Reala 100 in 135 over there as it only appears to be available in 120 over here?

@ Attila: Yes, it's good but remember it's 6x7... Wink You wouldn't have guessed that it could be like this though from the 5" x 3" prints I got - soft and with a cyan cast. The softness was such that I thought I had either missed focus or the camera/lens/film-back had issues until I checked the Velvia slides which were all fine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, Freestyle isn't offering Reala in 35mm. Dunno if it has indeed been discontinued in 35 or if they
are waiting for the well to run completely dry before doing another production run.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The definition of the image looks indeed impressive!
The sea however looks violet... colour seems really off there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The definition of the image looks indeed impressive!
The sea however looks violet... colour seems really off there.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion Orio.

I'm still stuck with using my old Acer laptop which is calibrated as best I can with a greyscale and some calibration software I forget the name of for now. I've since viewed the file on another admittedly uncalibrated monitor and the violet hue is a bit stronger on it than it is on my laptop monitor.

This scan isn't perfect but it's miles better than the rubbish that the lab sent me.

Thanks again for the input. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you shoot this without UV filter?
In my personal experience, UV filter is indispensable at sea when using film.
Also with digital actually, but digital is easier to fix with RAW.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Did you shoot this without UV filter?
In my personal experience, UV filter is indispensable at sea when using film.
Also with digital actually, but digital is easier to fix with RAW.

Not this time as it didn't appear to be an especially hazy day. It's a freshwater loch by the way.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it's not only about the haze, UV seems to influence the way film and sensors receive the visible blue colour when there is a high reflectivity as with deep waters.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a beautiful scene Bob. The water may be off just a little, but with just a little experimenting with the Ektar you will be getting it perfect with your talent. I had great luck with the Ektar in my RZ. I need to run mine through my new scanner also to see how much better they are.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I got Ektar myself, I read about a lot of users reporting issues with red, blue or magenta casts along with suggestions that one expose at box speed or anything up to 1 stop over for best results. This was in addition to the users that reported no such cast issues and who suggested that any problems were down to incorrect exposure, the lab or scan technique. What ever the case, Bill wasn't particularly impressed as he too experienced a colour cast issue.

Currently, and from what I've just read, overexposing Ektar apparently gives rise to a combination magenta and purple cast depending on the subject and now that I think about it, as a first time user of the film, I may have rated it at ISO80 for this shot as the early shooters of the stuff had recommended this ISO rating to get the best out of it.

Now the perceived wisdom is shoot at box speed.

Ho hum... Laughing

Thanks Ron - long time no see.

Other than the water colour being a bit off, I'm actually impressed with Ektar and will definitely persist with it. This scan is miles better than the print I got from the lab which as I've indicated before, was sorely lacking in sharpness and suffered from a ghastly cyan cast. Regarding your RZ images, did you expose at box speed or did you pull it back?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Before I got Ektar myself, I read about a lot of users reporting issues with red, blue or magenta casts along with suggestions that one expose at box speed or anything up to 1 stop over for best results. This was in addition to the users that reported no such cast issues and who suggested that any problems were down to incorrect exposure, the lab or scan technique. What ever the case, Bill wasn't particularly impressed as he too experienced a colour cast issue.

Currently, and from what I've just read, overexposing Ektar apparently gives rise to a combination magenta and purple cast depending on the subject and now that I think about it, as a first time user of the film, I may have rated it at ISO80 for this shot as the early shooters of the stuff had recommended this ISO rating to get the best out of it.

Now the perceived wisdom is shoot at box speed.

Ho hum... Laughing
Thanks Ron - long time no see.

Other than the water colour being a bit off, I'm actually impressed with Ektar and will definitely persist with it. This scan is miles better than the print I got from the lab which as I've indicated before, was sorely lacking in sharpness and suffered from a ghastly cyan cast.

erm was there any reason why the faults couldn't be corrected in Photoshop...a few clicks and it's improved (I tried it), and it's not cheating as scanning film can cause problems.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
erm was there any reason why the faults couldn't be corrected in Photoshop...a few clicks and it's improved (I tried it), and it's not cheating as scanning film can cause problems.

Yes, you're talking to a PS Luddite that was still using PS Elements 2 up to about a year ago... Laughing