Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Orion-15 28mm RF lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Orion-15 28mm RF lens Reply with quote

I have a chance to buy one ~ around 100 GBP locally, is it provide any extra vs SLR lenses ? Same question about Jupiter-12.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard nothing but amazing reviews concerning the jupiter 12. Apparently it is a great biogon copy.

The orion I'm not sure about. F6 seems very slow. Forget about shooting without a good supply of light.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that the Orion is a Zeiss Topogon copy - symmetric design with 4 elements.
No experience with it .. seems a rare piece and too expensive for what it is.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I greatly appreciate Jupiter lenses and I am also looking for a Jupiter-12

But the Orion seems to be too slow. Sure this can be an advantage (huge DOF makes it almost a point & shoot lens) but it really constrains you to shoot only in bright sunlight.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
I've heard nothing but amazing reviews concerning the jupiter 12. Apparently it is a great biogon copy.

The orion I'm not sure about. F6 seems very slow. Forget about shooting without a good supply of light.

I always shoot on bright sunshine slow lens not an issue to me.

Do you know any quality issue with Jupiter-12 for example newer or older is better ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter-12 is a biogon scheme lens, this means amazing quality with only possible problem a bit of vignetting wide open, but this only on full frame.
The only real problem I can think is to be unlucky and get a lemon copy. But you never know until you get one.
My copy is great.
I don't know about the Orion, but if it's really a Topogon copy, then it might be worth a try. Not sure about if possible to resale easily thought. What mount is it?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Jupiter-12 is a biogon scheme lens, this means amazing quality with only possible problem a bit of vignetting wide open, but this only on full frame.
The only real problem I can think is to be unlucky and get a lemon copy. But you never know until you get one.
My copy is great.
I don't know about the Orion, but if it's really a Topogon copy, then it might be worth a try. Not sure about if possible to resale easily thought. What mount is it?

Leica screw. Please let me know year when your Jupiter-12 made!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have a look on the site of Veijo Vilva: http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/fed-2.html
I don't get the impression that he is not satisfied by the Orion.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
You can have a look on the site of Veijo Vilva: http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/fed-2.html
I don't get the impression that he is not satisfied by the Orion.

Well, I'm certainly quite satisfied. The lens does what it supposed to do and does it quite well. The samples on that page have been down-sampled from cheap and dubious, commercial 6 Mp scans. The geometry is about as good as can be, there is negligible vignetting and smearing of corners even on those full-frame shots. Better scans or optical printing would give very satisfactory 20 cm x 30 cm prints, The lens is slow, and the resolution at 40+ lp/mm isn't perhaps quite up to that of the best SLR lenses (at the center) though still in the same ballpark as the resolution of an EOS5D Mk1. However, compared to a 5D + Distagon combination, a FED + Orion combination is a pocket camera and quite a lot cheaper.

Here is another, slightly larger sample, not sharpened:

Veijo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veijo, geometric correction seems excellent. Being non retrofocal of course helps enormously.

Attila, my Jupiter-12 is from 1962.

-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you know any quality issue with Jupiter-12 for example newer or older is better ?

I'd always go with older in terms of soviet optics because, as you know, there is a chance some of the glass was taken from german plants. I always found it attractive to own ones with the red "P" signifying a special coating. They appear on the earliest jupiters.

This guy is expensive but you can see what I'm talking about on the nameplate: Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
...geometric correction seems excellent. Being non retrofocal of course helps enormously.

See:
std wrote:
I have read that the Orion is a Zeiss Topogon copy - symmetric design with 4 elements.
No experience with it .. seems a rare piece and too expensive for what it is.

Too expensive? Perhaps, but definitely a rare lens.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent lenses both, had them on my RD-1 before I gave them (also a Russar 20mm) to my friend Marco Cavinia, who is full of praise about it. He made some wide angle tests (against Leica lenses!) and published the results here on his site:
http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/Soviet_and_wide_lenses_on_Leica_M/00_p.htm

images (c) Marco Cavina

I really regret that I had let them go, they were all carefully selected, but they are in wonderful hands... Wink

Last edited by kds315* on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all of you! Especially for Klaus!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had bad winter light I did try it out first, I am happy with lens performance, it has lower contrast as usual and easy to fix, sharpness just fine and lens is damn small, good partner to SONY NEX. All pictures are processed.

http://forum.mflenses.com/orion-15-28mm-rf-lens-sony-nex-3-t55767.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a wonderful lens indeed. Some are better, some are worse often depending on year of making. Also some have haze or fungus (one of mine had) as they were not handled carefully.

P.S.: I have updated Marco Cavina's pictures and links as he has moved his site to www.marcocavina.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Russar would be a nice lens as well. Unfortunately, they usually go for very high prices. Sad
You get a 21mm Voigtländer for a lower price than that Russar!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ORION 15 28mm is an excellent lens. It was bought nicely preserved for 200 euros and now it doesn't want to leave my Leica M3 at all. I also use it on the Sony A7RM2 with the new digital cameras. I love the old touch of photos taken!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about the Russar and the Orion but I tried to use a Jupiter 12 on A7II and the sensor stack resulted in very bad corners. Maybe it could be corrected with filters but I never tried. probably better on a Leica or a modified camera using the services of Kolari or equivalent. Any experience by forumers would be interesting to read.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
I know nothing about the Russar and the Orion but I tried to use a Jupiter 12 on A7II and the sensor stack resulted in very bad corners. Maybe it could be corrected with filters but I never tried. probably better on a Leica or a modified camera using the services of Kolari or equivalent. Any experience by forumers would be interesting to read.

You are absolutely right. At least the Orion delivers bad corners on the A7R II at all apertures. However, it's performing excellently on my Ricoh GXR-M APS-C from corner to corner.
What I've seen so far the Russar shows the same limits; i.e. both lenses are not recommendable for landscapes on A7 series cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russar is the worst in terms on rendering on sensor. Orion-15 is not the best lens ever in corners, but it's way better than the Russar and Jupiter-12. Here are some sample on the original Sony A7