Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Your thoughts on Vintage cameras . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Your thoughts on Vintage cameras . . . Reply with quote

I didn't realize the collecting bug was contagious via the web Confused Shocked

Thanks to my exposure to the world of photography through this venue and viewing stuff on eBay, my interests are getting piqued!

I think I am going to join the regressive movement taking hold here Smile

That said I'm wondering about buying a vintage camera - yes I know my Contaflex126 is approaching that status Very Happy .
First let me say I have no sense of the differences in film format in a practical sense -( and I'm not interested in large format )- though I remember some of the comments - TLRs are best for portraiture <is>, and range finders are best for street photography < Confused >

- Maybe I should get my head arround this concept Confused . . . Confused . . . Confused . . .-

I am getting attracted to the lines of many of the vintage cameras. The Exactas are gorgeous and people speak well of them - but I guess that would add the necessity of lenses of another mount. There are other german ones that are nice looking - Zeiss, Voigtlander, etc, but then many of these are rangefinders and I guess that brings up its own questions . . .
I've been told that medium format is an evolution - so would I be evolving by moving back Shocked Surprised Confused That said I see many people have folders which seem to be not badly priced - how are they for shooting? TLRs the question was spoken earlier - I don't seem to do much portraiture / close in work. I think I've even seen rangefinders in Medium format, and the SLRs are just pricey (and then there are their lenses Confused Sad ). . .

I know if I'm 1/2 lucky I can come out with a nifty art deco knick-knack for display, but I'd like to hedge my bets - so I don't get a nag.

I guess the question is whats a nice shooter in vintage that an avid slr shooter who wants to expand his film experience can get?

Thanks in advance,
a Confused Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First a note: larger formats are not the evolution from 24x36 - it's the other way around. Photography started as large format, 1-plate cameras. Film rolls and small formats are later evolutions.

As for what camera - it depends how long you want to get back.

Most SLRs are from after war - many of them in the 50s. There are also SLRs before the war but not many of them around.
Classical SLR for collectioner/user are Exakta, Zeiss Contarex, early Nikons, and others - the choice depends on many factors

If instead you would prefer the age between WWI and WWII, then you are going to go for rangefinders like old screwmount Leicas or Zeiss Contax I

If you prefer the pre-WWI age then you must go for the early Kodak portables or large format cameras - the first ones being mostly unoperable today, the second ones costing obviously a fortune.

The best way is - you see one camera that you like, make a google search and read what you find about it - then you can point us to it and ask for opinions.

If we had to suiggest you one or more cameras, I think you will end up with 20 different suggestions from 20 different people.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jim might be refering to the evolution of the photographer rather than photography itself. Most people move on from small format through to large - or at least they used to, where do you go with digital unless you're very rich or a pro?
It seems devolution or regression is fun. I'm often found using a pinhole.
Orio is right I think:
"The best way is - you see one camera that you like, make a google search and read what you find about it - then you can point us to it and ask for opinions.

If we had to suiggest you one or more cameras, I think you will end up with 20 different suggestions from 20 different people
"

So from me I'd say A tlr or med' format slr miht be fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree: ask 10 people and you'll get 20 recommendations!

What's now called medium format back when was lumped in with 35mm as miniature or small format.

I started on medium format - and vintage cameras in general - via an old Franka folder from 1938 that daughter found in the house. Soon I had a pair of Voigtlanders - a Bessa 1 from the 50s and a 66 (6x6) also from 1938. I like the 66 much more - it is small and has the better Skopar.

With these cameras, often the lens and to some degree the shutter are major differences. The better lenses are more useful, not so much in terms of sharpness or other modern criteria, but simply because they make photos that make more sense (in my experience anyway).

The other thing with MF cameras that makes a difference in usability (again, speaking for myself) is the presence of an auto-stop feature on the wind. Otherwise you'll be peeking through the red window each time.

Folders can make excellent photos. I really like them. They forced me to come to terms with much of my modern conditioning: around focus, exposure, precision framing. I hadn't realized just how much anxiety I'd have when given the ability set the camera but without the built in feedback systems. So yes, I have an auxiliary range finder, but don't really use it. And of course I use a hand held meter, but only to set a general level, then go by feel. While this sort of shooting can be liberating, I never really got over my anxieties.

So I went to the next evolution, actually two of them. One direction is the TLR. It is a great relief to focus with that large square viewer. The other direction is the 35mm range finder: I really like my Retina IIa, a fantastic camera! I later got a FED 3, which is also nice but rather spartan and with a rudimentary view finder. But now I'm past that particular anxiety, right? LOL, I do appreciate a coupled range finder. Oh and I like the Yashica GSN as well.

There are a few things to think about with fixed lens cameras. They don't really focus that close - so even with portraiture, you're left with a longish working distance, unless you use auxiliary lenses. You pretty much get the standard length lens. In exchange, in mf, you get a good degree of portability and lightness.

Interchangeable lens mf is a whole different world, one I haven't dared enter as yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the start and some things to think about.

@xpres you're right I meant evolving as a photographer . . .

The age I really haven't thought about hugely - except that I'm thinking in terms of the more stylish cameras, which entwined form and function. And I'm hestitaing about opening myself up for the need for more glass in yet another mount.

At one point I has an interest in the Braun Praxettes - they have that look about them, but what ended my interest was the information that though they take good pictures the mechanism can be delicate Shocked Sad .

I guess within my shotgun approach in the first post what was lost is that I probably need some advice on format too Confused Before someone suggests it I should probably do a tour of the galleries to get a feel for some of the formats capabilities.

What's put the bug in me is that in a couple weeks we're going down to Toronto and I'm hoping to do a little hunting - I'm still compiling a list of the most wanted. I hope to play intrepid adventurer and unearth something tucked away in an older shop Rolling Eyes Wink

Thanks,
Jim