Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Medium format camera lenses on dSLR?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Medium format camera lenses on dSLR? Reply with quote

forgive me my innosence, but I know close to nothing about medium format cameras and their lenses and have some basic questions:

1 - Are there any lenses made for medium format cameras that can be used on APS-C sensor dSLRs?

I believe that lenses for the Pentax 645 with the use of an adapter can be use on Pentax dSLR, is that true?

Any other? e.g. the lenses for the Pentacon six? Can they be used on a dSLR?

2 - and secondly ( which may better fit to the camera forum ):
Which 'old' anaolg medium format body would you recommend if range, quality and cheap prize of lenses are the decisive factor?

Pentacon 6, Kiev 6, Kiev 60 , 88, Saljut S is alo such a beauty, Pentax 645,...

thank's for any input,

Andreas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Medium format camera lenses on dSLR? Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

1 - Are there any lenses made for medium format cameras that can be used on APS-C sensor dSLRs?

Yes.
Pentacon 6 for sure
Kiev 88 also (but check for availability of adapter first)
I know that some Hasselblad lenses can be used (those that have the manual aperture mechanism)
And probably others.

Quote:
I believe that lenses for the Pentax 645 with the use of an adapter can be use on Pentax dSLR, is that true?

I don't know, but maybe Pentax guys can answer this.

Quote:

Yes! All of them can (although some of them don't make much sense). The most famous of Zeiss Jena lenses, the Sonnar 2.8/180, is mostly available in the P6 mount format.

Quote:
Which 'old' anaolg medium format body would you recommend if range, quality and cheap prize of lenses are the decisive factor?

For quality, I think that Hasselblad, Mamyia, Contax, Pentax, and probably others, are all safe choices.
For price/quality ratio of lenses, I think that the Pentacon 6 lenses are unbeatable. The use of Pentacon 6 camera, however, requires some dedication.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Pentax makes an adapter for Pentax 645 and 67 lenses, the first I am sure of the second 50%. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the Pentacon-6 lens make my 400d a crop-crop cam? Any advantage to doing this? Small APS-C sensor and now an oversized lens.
[oops... just realized this is the film forum, but question still stands]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P6 lenses are just the same as any other lens - when fitted via an adapter to a FF 35mm camera, either film or digital, the lens' angle of view will match that of the focal length.

When you fit a P6 lens to a crop camera like your 400D though, the lens' focal length physically stays the same as you'd expect but the angle of view is now multiplied by 1.6 - the same as if you fitted any 35mm lens.

In other words, on a 400D for example, a 50mm lens ends up having the same angle of view as that of an 80mm lens.

So if you fitted a P6 Flek 4/50 to your 400D, it would have the same angle of view as a 4/80.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I use Mamiya lenses from my 645AFD on my Canon DSLRs. They are excellent. The adapters are on ebay.

Mamiya lenses are fairly inexpensive and very sharp. The adapters are around 60-70USD on ebay.

Cheers

Jules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Medium format camera lenses on dSLR? Reply with quote

thank you Orio, zewrak, bob and lulalake for your answers

Orio wrote:
kuuan wrote:

Yes.
Pentacon 6 for sure
Kiev 88 also (but check for availability of adapter first)
I know that some Hasselblad lenses can be used (those that have the manual aperture mechanism)
And probably others.

just found some adapters: http://araxfoto.com/accessories/

Orio wrote:
Quote:

I don't know, but maybe Pentax guys can answer this.

zewrak did:

zewrak wrote:
Yes, Pentax makes an adapter for Pentax 645 and 67 lenses, the first I am sure of the second 50%. Wink

Orio wrote:
Quote:

Yes! All of them can (although some of them don't make much sense). The most famous of Zeiss Jena lenses, the Sonnar 2.8/180, is mostly available in the P6 mount format.

Why, Orio, would they not make sense?
or asking the other way around, which ones, besides the Sonnar, would make sense?

Orio wrote:
Quote:

For quality, I think that Hasselblad, Mamyia, Contax, Pentax, and probably others, are all safe choices.
For price/quality ratio of lenses, I think that the Pentacon 6 lenses are unbeatable. The use of Pentacon 6 camera, however, requires some dedication.

dedication...ha, ha, well said!
what will make me that dedicated?

lulalake wrote:
Yes I use Mamiya lenses from my 645AFD on my Canon DSLRs. They are excellent. The adapters are on ebay.

Mamiya lenses are fairly inexpensive and very sharp. The adapters are around 60-70USD on ebay.

Cheers

Jules

thank's Jules.
Any idea if they also can be used on a Pentax dSLR?

well, I just started to look into medium format cameras. Eventually I shall get one, but not that fast, there is still a lot of time to gather information.

knowing which lenses can be used on both, my furure medium format camera and my dSLR ( which now is a Pentax ), is one factor.

thank's for your insight,
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Andreas,

No I haven't seen any Mamiya>Pentax adapters but they may be out there and I may not have searched deeply enough.

Jules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zewrak wrote:

Click here to see on Ebay

but it is expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Medium format camera lenses on dSLR? Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

Why, Orio, would they not make sense?
or asking the other way around, which ones, besides the Sonnar, would make sense?

I think because you can reach the same quality and better with a 35mm lens which was designed for a 35mm film. More, the lens is bigger and heavier than a 35mm lens for the same focal lenght (compare a 45mm medium format with a 45mm 35mm format, for example). More I don't know.
Of course there are some good lenses which can deliver a very good quality then used with 35mm of APS-C cameras.

PS. Another Pentax67-K pentax adapter but still expensive Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank's montecarlo for your replies.

that ebay shop you linked has quite a few interesting pieces!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
zewrak wrote:

Click here to see on Ebay

but it is expensive.

If you think thats expensive. Check out the Pentax original 645 adapter at their own shop.

http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/detail/PTX+38455

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/diy-bronica-etr-to-eos-mount-t4943,highlight,bronica.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most medium format lenses can be adapted to work with 35mm film & digital cameras because medium format cameras have a larger lens-register distance. You just have to see what adapters are available. I would suggest checking on E-bay. Custom adapters are also available, but expensive. It looks like the best selection of adapters is made for Canon EOS cameras.

I use a Hasselblad F 110mm f/2 lens on an EOS-1D and EOS-10D. It works fine, and is a very sharp lens. It's also much bigger, heavier, and expensive than a comparable lens made for 35mm format. I bought the lens to use on a Hasselblad camera, but it's very nice to also use it on the DSLR's. I just replaced the EOS-1D focusing screen with the EC-S screen, which makes it much easier to manually focus fast lenses. Note that Hasselblad has/had two camera systems. C lenses have a leaf shutter, so they wouldn't work on other cameras unless there is a way to lock the shutter open. (This may be possible, I just don't know.) F lenses are for Hasselblad cameras that have a focal plane shutter, so there is no shutter in the lens. My F lens has DOF preview/lock switch, so it works great on the EOS cameras.

I've never used them, but I've heard good things about some of the Pentacon 6 lenses. I don't know anything about the Pentacon cameras, though.

--Geoff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can concur almost any medium format lens is a good deal, they are mostly pro lenses!