Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon Prakticar - What lens is this? Sigma?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject: Pentacon Prakticar - What lens is this? Sigma? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a 135mm lens to pair with my Pentacon BX20. I've heard that some of the Pentacon/Prakticar 135mm 2.8 lenses are made by Sigma or made in Korea, and are not very good, and it's hard to tell. I see a lot of postings up for the lens pictured in pictures 1 and 2, is this a good version? What make is it?

There is also a 135mm 3.5 (see picture 3). Which one is better, the 2.8 or the 3.5?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am aware, the Pentacon 135mm f2.8 that you have shown is the last iteration of the Meyer Orestor.
The Carl Zeiss Jena Prakticar 135mm f3.5 is a Sonnar design.
Both are very good lenses
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my limited experience, plus an amount of on-line research, German-made lenses for the Praktica bayonet (PB mount) range of film cameras are all labelled as such, often on the clip-on black plastic dust shield on the rear of the lens. Some Zeiss branded lenses are also labelled "Made in Japan under License" or similar, other 'Prakticar' lenses have little or no labelling as to their origin. As to whether German-manufactured Zeiss-labelled lenses in PB mount are historically Meyer-Optik designs, or actually Zeiss designs, I've not been able to definitely ascertain. It would seem the Zeiss-branded lenses were labelled as such for the Jenaflex cameras whereas the Pentacon Prakticar lenses were for the Praktica cameras.
One would probably need to comparitively dis-assemble similar specification Zeiss and Prakticar lenses, 28mm f/2.8 for example, to confirm if they are in fact identical within.
Whether of Zeiss or Meyer-Optik design, both perform very well Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Meyer Orestor (Pentacon / Prakticar) 2.8/135mm is Sonnar design too which makes it one of the best bargains out there. But please correct me if wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Actually Meyer Orestor (Pentacon / Prakticar) 2.8/135mm is Sonnar design too which makes it one of the best bargains out there. But please correct me if wrong.

+1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Actually Meyer Orestor (Pentacon / Prakticar) 2.8/135mm is Sonnar design too

It's not. Completely different in terms of both optical design and rendering.
Having said that, I like Meyer/Pentacon more Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from http://forum.mflenses.com/list-of-lens-diagrams-triplets-planars-and-hybrid-lenses-t22934.html

no-X wrote:

Last edited by visualopsins on Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex TG wrote:
Pancolart wrote:
Actually Meyer Orestor (Pentacon / Prakticar) 2.8/135mm is Sonnar design too

It's not. Completely different in terms of both optical design and rendering.
Having said that, I like Meyer/Pentacon more Cool

To me its lens section looks like a hybrid of the CZJ Sonnar 4/300mm and the Biometars 2.8/80mm and 2.8/120mm. however i don't know the glasses used, so it might well be closer to the Sonnar or closer to the Biometar. Does anyone have more precise information on the glasses used in the Meyer (Pentacon T Prakticar) 2.8/135mm?

S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note does anyone know anything about my Pentacon 50mm 1.8? It doesn't have "Made in German Democratic Republic" like some I've seen, on the back. The build seems pretty "good" but is this a good copy?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Prakticar Pentacon 50mm f1.8 is the last iteration of the Meyer Oreston 50mm f1.8
It is a fine lens, very sharp stopped down and with a delicious bokeh wide open.
T

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forest_rain wrote:
On a side note does anyone know anything about my Pentacon 50mm 1.8? It doesn't have "Made in German Democratic Republic" like some I've seen, on the back. The build seems pretty "good" but is this a good copy?

If 2.4/50mm was made also in Romunia I.O.R i see no reason why this last batches of 1.8/50 were not made there too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Forest_rain wrote:

If 2.4/50mm was made also in Romunia I.O.R i see no reason why this last batches of 1.8/50 were not made there too.

Yes, that seems to be well accepted, but the optical scheme remained the same even though the Romanian made lenses were more compact and had many plastic components.
We can't tell from the picture supplied, but the ribbing on the side of the Romanian lens is part of the moulded plastic barrel. The GDR lenses have a rounded ribbing of rubber type
T

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Pancolart wrote:
Forest_rain wrote:

Yes, that seems to be well accepted, but the optical scheme remained the same even though the Romanian made lenses were more compact and had many plastic components.
We can't tell from the picture supplied, but the ribbing on the side of the Romanian lens is part of the moulded plastic barrel. The GDR lenses have a rounded ribbing of rubber type
T

Lots of interesting and reliable information can be found on www.zeissikonveb.de.

The site is remarkably accurate and comprehensive. Concerning the Romanian production of Pentacon Prakticar lenses, Yves Strobelt writes:

"Nach Hinweisen rumänischer Photofreunde wurden die Pentacon Prakticare (nicht die von Zeiss!) aber zum Schluß allesamt in Bukarest gefertigt. Das würde auch erklären, weshalb noch neue, als "Meyer Optik, Made in Germany" gelabelte Objektive der bekannten Bauart in den Handel kamen, nachdem die Fertigungsstätten in Dresden und Görlitz eigentlich schon dichtgemacht worden waren. ... Ich möchte auch zu bedenken geben, daß das Label "Made in Germany" unter Umständen genau so viel Wahrheitsgehalt haben könnte, wie zuvor das Label "Made in German Democratic Republic" auf Objektiven, die offenbar trotzdem aus Bukarest stammen."

Rough translation:

Hints given by Romanian photography friends suggest that towards the end [of the German Democratic Republic] all Pentacon Prakticars were made in Romania. This would also explain the fact that new lenses, now labelled "Meyer Optik, Made in Germany", still were supplied to the market even though the production facilities in Dresden and Görlitz had been closed [in 1990?] ... I'd like you to remember that the label Made in Germany might be as "true" as the the previous label Made in German Democratic Republic found on lenses obviously made in Bucuresti (Romania).

Source: https://zeissikonveb.de/start/objektive/wechselobjektive%201980er/feinoptisches%20werk%20g%C3%B6rlitz.html

Stephan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply. Here's a picture of the side, the focusing ring appears to be plastic. So it was probably made in Romania by IOR. I wonder how good the lens is, there is not much information about that company online.

The lens looks very clean though, almost no dust in the glass, but will see how the pictures come out.

Anyone have any info on this make? I'm assuming it will be almost the same according to the information from the site you supplied, maybe losing some prestige of being "non German made" only:

"From the second half of the 80s, material savings were implemented in Pentacon lenses, which are expressed in the so-called rationalized versions (“ratio”). Here, the metal of the outer frame parts and the bezel ring was replaced by plastic. The very grippy and stylish nubby rubber on the meter ring was also saved. Here only a grip grid was pressed into the plastic. This did not make the lenses really worse, but for the attentive observer they lost some of their exclusivity. However, the price remained the same. For the GDR citizen, “ratio” became something like “increase in utility value”, only without an increase in price. Wink"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forest_rain wrote:
Sorry for the late reply. Here's a picture of the side, the focusing ring appears to be plastic.
The lens looks very clean though, almost no dust in the glass, but will see how the pictures come out.

I've converted one of these to PK mount http://forum.mflenses.com/pentacon-prakticar-50mm-f-1-8-on-a-pentax-t78494,highlight,%2Bpentacon.html ... works very well on my Pentax Smile