Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica ML 28mm Castlerigg stone circle
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Yashica ML 28mm Castlerigg stone circle Reply with quote

at F16, tripod had legs closed and being held over my head at full extension to get as much height as possible. This is probably the best view of it but at ground level you are below the stones as they are on the brow of a hill. Most images you only see a line of stones and dont get the full idea of the circle. ideally you would be another 10' higher so maybe I need to bring a step ladder next time!

bigger
Cropped, strightened and de-noised with noise ninja. I had a hi ISO to account for hand held tripod and small aperture to capture the depth. A few stray sheep cloned out too!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done! I really like it! A very "clean" image.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it and it achieves the purpose you were after.

I just can't get past the mental picture of you holding a fully extended tripod over your head Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, very nice picture Bob. I'd have loved to see you holding the tripod up in the air! Smile Have you ever thought about kite photography? I'm seriously thinking abut giving it a try. This would be a perfect subject.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes there was another camera guy there at the time with a 5D and a 17-something L lens, he was watching and said what a good idea and started doing it himself so there were a pair of us idiots Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn’t you post this with better PP on SLIC pages you linked to?
I prefer your other version.
http://www.slic-imaging.org.uk/full-pix-new-PAGES/Castlerigg-BarryW.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose this sort of thing cries out for large format... Now holding that fully extended over you're head, that would be a picture. Laughing
Ansel Adams used to stand on top of his car didn't he?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've managed a good composition for over youir head!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it Bob. It has the right balance of background blur for me. Enough to make the stones stand out, but not so blurred to prevent the viewer to have an understanding of the surroundings.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicely done, very nice land

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
nicely done, very nice land

I concur. Great looking morhpology.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now thats technique !

Or not, its really problem solving at a moments notice, when confronted with a unique situation.

I love that kind of thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, you were over your head on this one, but it came out great! Wink

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Very nice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Smile I like the angle, gives good depth and view at the same time I think.

I cant try the technique because I dont have a ... ahhh, whats it called, remote trigger(?)... and you would have to have one of those, I guess.

How is the Yashica ML 28? I talked to a wildlife-photograper on a forum in sweden and he said he had one of those lenses but it was a dissopointment beacause it couldnt keep sharp on certain apertures. Maybe he just had a bad copy (or could be damaged somehow)...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I cant try the technique because I dont have a ... ahhh, whats it called, remote trigger(?).

I put the camera on bracketing 3 exposure and timer delay so press the shutter button and 5 seconds before it goes off hoist up into position, then check results, it did need some straightening due this I probably fired off about 40 frames to get one decnt one, most had too much sky/grass.

http://www.slic-imaging.org.uk/Galleries-members/Gallery-Barry-W.htm
No not me, this is a very well composed image, maybe a little over the top with the clouds on the right but looking at the position he must have been high up too, I shall have to ask him if he did a similar thing certainly the light was nicer with the dawn rays catching the stones. It is a very popular photographers spot, I would say just about every phtog in the Northwest has had a go at this the scenery is just stunning. I was there on 3 occasions at 6 AM and each time there was some one else there. taking pictures. One guy (another 5d guy) said he was leaving because it was to windy, too windy for stones I thought? Smile

Quote:
How is the Yashica ML 28?

Its a better than average 28mm noothing spectacular, but its the best 28mm I have, better would be the 24mm I think which I am on the look out for.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Post Processing Reply with quote

Forgive me if I have mis-understood, but I thought the achievement was when they cloned the sheep not cloned it out?

Dolly must be spinning in her grave?

Doug

PS Great shot - don't try it in a storm however.... lol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
was when they cloned the sheep not cloned it out?

Composed entirely from recycled electrons,
No Genetically modified pixels were used in the making of this image Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shot!

Love the megalithic sites.

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful shot Bob. The technique of tripod jack sounds pretty fun. You should put into the new basic technique thread that Jim started. I'm sure many folks never thought to try it. Cool I wonder if you could have shot at f8 for a couple more stops on the shutter. The ML28 is at it's best at that aperture. Also it looks like you where at infinity so depth of field in background would be the same. I feel envious of you folks on the "little islands" sometimes. So many beautiful scenes with such great history and mystery surrounding them Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Prometheus

I think your friend may have a bad copy. The ML28 is one of the true gems at it's focal length. I think it is one of the most commonly held lenses among members here as well. If you have a chance to buy one you should not pass it up.