Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Autumn colours with Robot Xenon 40mm f/1.9
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Autumn colours with Robot Xenon 40mm f/1.9 Reply with quote

I'm having fun with some new lenses (well new to me that is). In this case a Robot Xenon 40mm f/1.9 in M26 thread mount. I don't have a proper adapter for it, just an adapter from M26 to M42 and a helicoid M42 to Sony E mount. This doesn't allow infinity focus exactly, but I do get very close up.. Anyway, the amount of vignetting is not too bad considering this is a 24*36mm sensor on my Sony A7:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens does benefit from a lens hood under certain circumstances, in photo 2 I was overambitious in shielding the lens from the sun with my hand, hence the dark spot in the upper left hand corner. All the photos are at f/1.9.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny coincidence, I just took the same lens out on a Sony A6500 for some fall color shots. Schneider-Kreuznach Xenon 1.9/40, ROBOT to L39 adapter, LTM to Sony E adapter.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, is yours the m26 or the Robot Royal mount variant?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:

It is M26. I never saw the need to pay the extra premium prices for the Royal lenses and adapters.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
dickb wrote:

It is M26. I never saw the need to pay the extra premium prices for the Royal lenses and adapters.

Thanks. I wasn't aware Royal commanded extra premium prices. I encounter more Robot Royal than Robot M26 lenses. But for an APS-C camera either may work equally well. I was asking since vignetting may vary between the mounts, especially on full frame cameras like mine.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Royal camera was produced in a half frame (ROBOT 24) and a full frame (Royal 36) version. Royal lenses were designed to cover the full frame circle.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know about the different film sizes between Robot 24 and 36 cameras. I am not sure the m26 version of a lens is necessarily optically different from the Royal version. In some cases at least I expect the lenses to be identical apart from the mount, and the smaller mount may introduce vignetting when used on a full frame camera. This was very clearly the case with a 150/4 Tele Xenar I once had in both Royal and C mount, massive mechanical vignetting on the C mount version.

BTW, Royal mount lenses may be designed for full frame, but at least my 37.5mm Xenar has trouble with its corners, other wider angles may as well:

http://forum.mflenses.com/robot-royal-schneider-tele-xenar-lenses-a-walk-in-the-park-t79023.html