Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rodenstock Heligon 50mm F1.9 for Retina Reflex S
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Rodenstock Heligon 50mm F1.9 for Retina Reflex S Reply with quote

I take this lens out for a walk after I see the Edixagon thread here. This lens looks a bit soft at full open but it has its own characters. One of the specialty of this lens is there will be rainbow like flare when point to a strong light source(especially at full open) as you see in #8.

Photos converted from RAW to JPG with exposure/white balance adjust, resize and minimal sharpen use the standard camera profile in LR5.

Thanks for viewing!

Last edited by calvin83 on Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Lens and images are attractive.

But why the rainbow?

Casual event?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice images, my fave #4!
thanks for sharing

Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series, I love them all, congrats for this rare lens!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for sharing. Very nice.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh with character, thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all! I found this lens do perform very in B/W. BTW, there is one selling in eBay from Japan now in relative reasonable price. Wink

Direct convert from RAW to B/W in LR5.

Last edited by calvin83 on Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh no, I cannot afford it , it's rendering is amaze me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-uploaded the photos. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Kodak Portra version of number 4 would be glorious Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first post. I've very often used this forum as a knowledge center and reference since I got back into film photography this spring (2016). So thanks for all the great information and photos! The marvelous Heligon photos on this thread helped me to decide to buy my Rodenstock Retina-Heligon 50mm/1.9 (plus a working Kodak Retina Reflex IV) this summer. The rainbow effect intrigues me. I also have the Schneider version of this lens, which has the advantage of 6 cm closest focus compared with 9 cm on the Heligon. Was the Retina-Heligon also made with 6 cm closest focus? Fortunately for me, Sweden (where I now live) seems to have received mostly--if not only--Rodenstock glass on their German Kodak cameras. I also own a Kodak Retina IIIc and a Retinette 1b, both with Rodenstocks.

The attached photo taken with Sony A7 at f:1.9, 1/160 second and ISO 640 (auto settings).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wadidiz wrote:
My first post. I've very often used this forum as a knowledge center and reference since I got back into film photography this spring (2016). So thanks for all the great information and photos! The marvelous Heligon photos on this thread helped me to decide to buy my Rodenstock Retina-Heligon 50mm/1.9 (plus a working Kodak Retina Reflex IV) this summer. The rainbow effect intrigues me. I also have the Schneider version of this lens, which has the advantage of 6 cm closest focus compared with 9 cm on the Heligon. Was the Retina-Heligon also made with 6 cm closest focus? Fortunately for me, Sweden (where I now live) seems to have received mostly--if not only--Rodenstock glass on their German Kodak cameras. I also own a Kodak Retina IIIc and a Retinette 1b, both with Rodenstocks.

The attached photo taken with Sony A7 at f:1.9, 1/160 second and ISO 640 (auto settings).

Welcome and thanks for posting
OH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

There is no 0.6M version is available.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Xenon 1.9/50 in DKL also flares like that. I don't have a good example because I try to avoid flares most of the time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, oldhand, calvin83 and iangreenhalgh1. The 0.9m closest focusing is often an unwanted limitation when using the Heligon. I really like the rainbow effect as a special feature--kinda like the Helios 44-2's swirl bokeh. I suppose it is a kind of defect. I've tried the Xenon 50mm/1.9 against the Heligon for the rainbow effect and my copy of the Xenon doesn't produce it. If I can learn to post photos, here's a not-so-great photo of my test with the Heligon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 0.9m limit is nothing if you use a DKL to M42 adapter on top of a M42 to E mount helicoid.

Here is an example of a M42 lens with a M42 to E mount helicoid(fully extended). You can find them on ebay Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, calvin83. This is exactly the kind of knowledge I hoped to tap into. I'm also trying to work out how to mount a Zeiss-Opton 75mm/3.5 Tessar I extracted from an Ikonta onto my A7. Ditto a Zeiss-Opton Tessar 45mm/2.8 from a broken Contaflex. I want to be sure I know exactly which adapters and helicoids I should buy since I'm on a tight budget. I'm also looking to extract a Coral-S 45mm/1.9 lens from an Aires Viscount camera, so I need to understand focusing helicoids. Also, any advice on a good source for camera repair tools? Already have a few things but it would be great if some supplier offered a decent camera repair kit. The kit I got from some Japanese tool supplier is OK but leaves out the spanner I really need and broader flat-tip screwdrivers that don't twist or break when they're torqued. I've done a lot net of searching but perhaps someone can give me some helpful advice?

Happy New Year!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ! With this lens you can make rainbow, anytime !
Nice shots !