Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My flaring TAIR-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: My flaring TAIR-3 Reply with quote

Yesterday Rob mentioned that a famous glamour photographer was rumoured to use a Tair-3 for his dreamy shots.

As far as my experience with the lens goes, I can confirm that rumour completely. I have a copy that gives exactly the same type of results. Sorry for the boring subjects (no naked lady available at the moment), but I guess the thing is still evident:

Flaring cat:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very close to the effect I obtain with my "frankensteinized" kodak meniscus 100mm !
I didn't try it however on a naked lady ...Lasts were made with a Steinheil Cassarit 4,5/135 on bellows .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that while this flare makes all objects look blurry, it makes for some great bokeh instead.
Well, you give some, you take some...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting since I have never seen such a "behaviour" in my Tair. Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
This is interesting since I have never seen such a "behaviour" in my Tair. Shocked

I guess that mine was customized.
Unless, we have different flavours of Tairs, I don't know. Mine is labeled rather strangely TAIR-3 4.5/300-A
It's the first and only time that I see a letter with - to follow the focal lenght number.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illusion feeling!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

I guess that mine was customized.
Unless, we have different flavours of Tairs, I don't know. Mine is labeled rather strangely TAIR-3 4.5/300-A
It's the first and only time that I see a letter with - to follow the focal lenght number.

OK. Mine shows "TAIR-3S 4.5/300"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this effect on a 300mm (a broken Upsilon 300/4 that I'm repairing), apparently due to a misplaced rear element. Maybe something needs to be adjusted ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I've seen this effect on a 300mm (a broken Upsilon 300/4 that I'm repairing), apparently due to a misplaced rear element. Maybe something needs to be adjusted ?

I think so also, that the front element might have been inverted.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a very serious note I should point out that photographing naked ladies with a 300mm isn’t that good an idea. Shouting directions can be embarrassing.
Doing shots in a public place with a 300mm does give you the option of denying all knowledge of the naked girl a few hundred yards away but I’m not sure this would actually stand up in court and you also stand the risk of the model reversing the situation on you by claiming you are a peeping tom!

The results Orio shows from the Tair are exactly what I get in many situations.
‘Such a behaviour’ can be avoided if you always shoot in the right light, keep the sun well behind you, avoid any reflective objects that may well flair and keep the lens stopped down.
In common with a few others I find this ‘Glowing flare’ rather nice for some subjects (Glam and Nudes) but 300mm isn’t a great length for such shots and I also have many lenses I can control this effect with. If anybody hasn’t a lens that can do anything like it just try a bit of Vaseline on a UV filter.

I am pretty sure there is no fault with my lens or Orios. I did in fact waste some time having it checked by a guy who was adjusting the focus on my Fuji 400mm. He said it was OK but did add a bit more matt black paint to some of the inside baffles. The Tair comes apart very easy (Must do if I can do it) It is a very simple lens. There can be no doubt that the front or rear element are not as they should be.

Nobody will ever persuade me the Tair is a good lens. I can go out and take hundreds of good test shots with it, but when it actually comes to getting a real shot the situation will more than likely be one of those flare ones.
Great one has carried this great lump about and it made a mess of the shot, what a waste of time and effort.
If one has no alternative or just wants a cheap 300mm to play with they are OK but IMO they are not worth paying the postage on. Buy from a car boot sale or somebody local for about £10.
For just a little more money one can buy an Adaptall 1 300mm, or many other more normal lenses.
Does anybody have the date of the first Tairs is it around 1954/6?
I remember when the Photo Sniper outfit (300mm Tair, 50mm Helios and Zenit camera) cost £59 New. (Nobody wanted them then either)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonetheless. I like the effect.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zewrak wrote:
Nonetheless. I like the effect.

Yes I agree. My Tair has sat in the cupboard for two years because i was sure I was going to do a 'Hamilton' with it.
But as mentioned many better 'Character' lenses to use.
I seriously doubt I will ever get a model who stays around long enough to go through all my Favourite lenses and then has a go with the Tair

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:
300mm isn’t a great length

The girls like it! Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Rob Leslie wrote:

Funny, my wife hides and screams "No way your using that on me! Take it out of my face!" every time i pull it out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zewrak wrote:
peterqd wrote:
Rob Leslie wrote:

Funny, my wife hides and screams "No way your using that on me! Take it out of my face!" every time i pull it out.

Ohhhh! Listen to that! Show off! Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your Tair is in trouble Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very scratched lens it is produced same result, this is abnormal result from a Tair.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://323i.e30.free.fr/galerie/MF/TAIR/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody have the link to the naked ladies? Laughing
Id like to see this tair's IQ

Oh nice shoots Nelson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Anybody have the link to the naked ladies? Laughing
Id like to see this tair's IQ

Oh nice shoots Nelson

Get any Penthouse magazine from the late 70s.

The misty blurry stuff (plus the big hairdos!) does little for me, I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce , I'll do a trial in a couple of weeks , with the Taïr 300 and other lenses .... , only to verify if this Taïr "behaviour" is real or not Mr. Green . I believe these pics were taken without any sunshade on the lens . Ladies without any clothes and Taïr without sunshade , that's correct , however. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes no sunshade in my photos, but hard to define a sunshade or its need in a completely overcast day Confused Laughing

As for the ladies here's a rather chast sample of the dreamy look:

http://www.teknemedia.net/multimedia/galleria-dettaglio/22811/page-2.html

I sincerely don't believe that you need a Tair to do this - just breathe on any lens you get the same effect for zero euros cost Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well-known pics Orio , and among the bests of D. Hamilton . I'm afraid the book is in my book-case ...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curiously, I like him better when he does not photograph nudes.
Some of his still lifes and landscapes stood the test of time. Still life especially. But also Venice views. While I think that his erotic shots are today dated and tacky, with only a few exception (such as the one I linked to).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew you guys were hiding the good stuff! Laughing

and Chris I know exactly what you mean... I had a few of those magazines before the closet floor collapsed