Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Icarex Tessar 2.8/50 - broom
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Icarex Tessar 2.8/50 - broom Reply with quote

This is really a frustrating year for me photography-wise.
Because of my father's house needing restoration before I can move in, I have very little time available for photography, and very little money available for my purchases.
I had lots of plans for this year, trips that I wanted to make, fairs and street shows that I wanted to attend, and I had to miss them all Sad And I can not buy any new lens until I hear from my tax accountant...

But the most frustrating thing of all is when you have 10 minutes to go out and take a photo, but your mind is so crowded with all the things that you have to do, that you can not really concentrate on the phtoography... Sad and there is nothing I hate more than when I'm not able to be 100% into photographing. Every picture I take, it feels like I could have taken one better... every scene that I visit, it feels like I could have taken 20 other different shots but I was not able to "see" them, because I didn't have the time or i didn't have my mind ready. Sad

Anyway, enough with the griefing, today I could go out for 15 minutes (hurrah!) and I wanted to photograph a few broom shrubs that are not distant from my town, before they completely lose the flowers.

I took with me the 5D with the Zeiss Tessar 2./50 for Icarex. I have to say that this lens really has won my heart. I have the same lens in Jena construction, but this one really has the Oberkochen fingerprint. Incredible "ariosity" in the photographs. Incredible colour fidelity - I was there and I can assure that what the AWB of my Canon recorded, is exactly what the light looked like. This happens very rarely with any of my lenses.
Plus there is an aesthetical quality in the photos that I am not able to describe but I can relate with deeply. These weeks I have tried lots of different Tessars but this lens feels to me really different.
I have taken a bunch of photos, some are wide open some are stopped down (but never more than f/5.6 or sometimes f/8 ), some are closeups some are infinity, well you are photographers so I am not going to label them.
As usual, I did not alter the saturation, and I only had to modify exposure in a couple of cases (at least I have not lost the ability to meter light by not practicing...)
First eight:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last eight:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to read peoples honest thoughts about their photgraphy experience.

'But the most frustrating thing of all is when you have 10 minutes to go out and take a photo, but your mind is so crowded with all the things that you have to do, that you can not really concentrate on the phtoography... and there is nothing I hate more than when I'm not able to be 100% into photographing. Every picture I take, it feels like I could have taken one better... every scene that I visit, it feels like I could have taken 20 other different shots but I was not able to "see" them, because I didn't have the time or i didn't have my mind ready.'

I often (Or always) come away thinking of the shots I missed, then when I see the results I also see those shots I missed.
I have often read the opinion that poor photographers now take more photos because digital exposures cost nothing.
I always think these people writing such rubbish must know little about taking photos. It takes skill, patience and of course a very good eye to keep shooting one subject in order to get the better picture. The majority will take three or four shots and then have no more ideas or skill to change settings etc.
I wish I could always spend at least twice as much time taking the right photo. I wish I could take some shots turn away and turn back to see another 20 odd possibilities. I just wish I took more photos.
And I'm the guy you often see with two camera bodies because he needs to take more pictures and save time by not having to change the lens all the time!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love nothing better than a 20 minute walk at the end of the day with my camera. It clears the mind, and the late-day lighting is just so beautiful the photo opportunities seem to just leap into the camera.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sympathise !

I have little time during the day (when there is light) to travel somewhere where I would like to look for pictures.

Most of my opportunities happen because the camera is my constant companion. When I have a few minutes at lunch or while commuting on workdays, or wherever I find myself with the kids on weekends, these have to do. Like with Brian, a lot of this happens in the 20 minutes one can find in the evening.

And those are nice shots. The Italian countryside is lovely and very neat.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The evening sessions are surely relaxing in a way, after a day of work, but I often find my mind tired and my body not wanting to obey. While photography is also physical committment. One has to walk to find good spots. Sometimes to lie down. One has to carry weight. it is part of the fun un a way, but it's something that I feel is necessary, even when you are walking with a simple camera and one lens, you still need to exercise a physical domain over your scene. I just feel it isn't honest to end up in a place and be content of what you first find, without having explored all or at least most of the possibilities.

My real joy, is when I am able to have a full immersion into photography. Prepare the bag the evening before. Wake up early in the morning, take my car and go where I am headed, and for all day, think only of photography. Everything else is secondary. I enjoy to arrive in the evening completely exhausted after having dedicated the 100% of my day to photography.
This is what I really miss this year. I did it for the Carnival and the Castle fair, but after that, had no more available days for that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently on holiday from my work and am waiting for the weather to improve so I can head up north.

If that fails, I'm hoping to be able to get up to St Andrews with the P6 and some Pan-F 50 and over to Edinburgh for Peter's Scott Monument redux.

The current weather is very frustrating. Evil or Very Mad

Re images - #7 in the first set is very pastoral and evocative of the Italian countryside while #5 in the second set gets the vote for 3D.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:

Re images - #2 in the first set is very pastoral and evocative of the Italian countryside while #4 in the second set gets the vote for 3D.

Thanks - I know that these are very simple images that hardly can excite any viewer about them Laughing Probably I am the only one that can really appreciate them because I am the one who was there and can testify that the lens did an excellent job of reproducing the exact atmosphere and lighting of the place. I don't know f any of you ever reflected about this circumstance. There are excellent lenses, that however tend to impose their characters over the subjects. Other lenses are just plain infidel and don't render things as we see them. This lens is incredibly faithful and is something that I rarely find (and I have tried many lenses!).
In the first set, particularly, the first three shots, and the second-to-last one, feel incredibly real to my memory. And although subtle, I find the 3D rendition in these very satisfactory. It's not the kind of pictures that makes it jump to your eyes. But I can feel the air between each patch of grass I would say. The effect, in the smallest scale. But giving breath to images. I can feel the lawn density and fluffiness in the second to last one of first set. I can even feel the distance between the rows of hedges on the hill. And really it can not be attributed to a particular sunlight, as it's quite flat in that picture. It is really something that comes out of the lens. Even more at f/8 than at wider apertures.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Orio. That is indeed a fine lense.

I know what you mean about no time. I'm in the same boat. I live close to some beautiful places and don't have time to go. I have to take pictures of Maxwell or things around my yard.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnauzer wrote:
I have to take pictures of Maxwell or things around my yard.

Replace yard with balcony and Maxwell with Melissa and it's my precise situation Sad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oiro, don't care.

You will enjoy with the future time. You want to have more and more times to spent in the shots way, but perhaps your actual imposibility to do this let you think about new shots or new subjects or do it again over old subjects. If you want to think 100% in photos you may do this from other point of view.

Up, up Orio. The things will be better, and you will take photos, photos, photos again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Oiro, don't care.
You will enjoy with the future time. You want to have more and more times to spent in the shots way, but perhaps your actual imposibility to do this let you think about new shots or new subjects or do it again over old subjects. If you want to think 100% in photos you may do this from other point of view.
Up, up Orio. The things will be better, and you will take photos, photos, photos again.

Thanks. I am forced to consider this a "sabbatical year" Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this lens is superb in all shots
it give the "I was there"