Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super Takumar 105/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Super Takumar 105/2.8 Reply with quote

A lens I picked up, as usual cheaply, in order mainly to fill out my Takumar collection - this certainly isn't a rare or little known lens.

Its rather worn, but in every other respect it is in perfect working order. This lens was someones old reliable, and it looks it.

I now have, of the Super and Super-multi-coated Takumars, the 28/3.5, 35/3.5, 55/1.8, 50/1.4, 100/2.8, 135/3.5, 200/4, and 300/4, plus the 70-150/4.5(a very strange beast). I like the cheaper Takumars! In truth I could shoot with nothing but these and not be ill-equipped.

The Super Takumar 105/2.8 is a conventional short tele of the period, and a typical Takumar, with the same compact size and build standard you should expect. Its a five element-four group formula that seems to be something like a modified Tessar, with an additional front element. Its supposed to be very similar to the Super Takumar 85/1.8 (early version), the 85/1.9 and the 120/2.8, none of which I have, so I cant say whether there is a family resemblance otherwise.

In use it is very Takumar, with smooth, excellent damping of focus, very long focus throw for precision, very compact, 49mm filter, A/M switch so its easy to use on digital, etc. Its a small enough thing to fit in a jacket pocket with a small hood, not bigger than the tiny 135/3.5 but more useful. The rather deep hood for the 135/3.5 is perfectly suitable on APS-C, the native hood for the 105 is fairly hard to get. Of course, pretty much any 49mm hood will do.

Performance - well, this lens has a mixed reputation, and I can more or less confirm it. It is a bit soft wide open, moreso at infinity. It is much better close up, where I cant see more than a hint of it pixel peeping (16mp APS-C sensor on my Pentax K30). If you are going to shoot at f/2.8, do it close. One stop down and its as sharp as anything. I couldnt get it to flare. Close focus is what you would expect of a prime of its era, a bit under 4ft-1.3 meters or so. Bokeh seems very nice, I actually got some bokeh going. Out of focus highlights are more donut than disks. Colors are very Pentax, very saturated, though I cant say how much is the camera here.

All in all, yes I certainly could use this daily. Its more compact than many of the alternatives anyway, and is excellent for flowers and seagulls.

The bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought as well to add the same lens to my collection of Takumars... I heard that is unique in rendering but still did not had it in my hands to check it out. Your results are promising but your comment about being not sharp at infinity let me thinking if it is your copy or in general this lens is like this. Hope someone else will elaborate here.

P.S. I really like Takumar lenses and their performance on modern DSLR's. I am using K-3 with very good results.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small Congrats Luis!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as always, it comes back to what you consider sharp.

I love using my 105 as a short Tele on my k5. I confess I can't remember what its like at infinity at f2.8.

I'll shoot the moon later tonight and you can have a look.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worn lenses should deserve more respect and higher collectors status.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Worn lenses should deserve more respect and higher collectors status.

+1 on that
Like 1
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes absolutely!

You know I think it was someone here that said whilst hunting for 2nd hand lenses, they sought out the tatty worn ones as it often meant they were good, and hence used Razz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. I was on the verge of buying it once but decided to hunt for a 6 element 105mm Nikkor instead.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

errrrr so I snapped a picture of the moon wide open.. yaa don't want to see it. Razz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
errrrr so I snapped a picture of the moon wide open.. yaa don't want to see it. Razz

Laugh 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice luis.. great colours Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:

c'mon cannot be so bad...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried early versions, but S-M-C is excellent and right now is an absolute steal, compared to similar lenses from other major brands.

blotafton wrote:
6 element 105mm Nikkor instead.

I thought they were all 5 element, no?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
I've never tried early versions, but S-M-C is excellent and right now is an absolute steal, compared to similar lenses from other major brands.

blotafton wrote:
6 element 105mm Nikkor instead.

I thought they were all 5 element, no?

Ais version is supposed to have 6 elements and have different rendering than older 5 element versions. Both have very good reputation.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the worn lens category, I really like the all metal era as you never wear out aluminum knurls. My all time favorite are the pentax s-m-c as they have the good coating but still have the all metal barrels. I do very much like the 105 2.8 as well. Plenty sharp for most types of photos.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
tromboads wrote:

Laugh 1

Likely only overexposed?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, although I did take a few of those. 105 @ f2.8 focused at infinity, yeah ain't much detail going on. I was impressed that some of the major structures where visible however. And you will have to excuse the tree, was unable to get a clearer shot before it went back under the clouds.

100% crop from a K5 jpg.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me that is impressive result! Any stopped down shots to compare sharpness? Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't bother sorry, and perhaps it's not that bad. .. I've been spoiled by looking at craters as captured by the Tair 3 however. Razz

Last edited by tromboads on Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots! Congrats on your acquisition. I finally got a 105mm this past Winter and was pleasantly surprised how well it renders.
Also trying to build up my Takumar collection.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens and results, I never had this Takumar either...