Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax SMC-M 200mm 1:4f
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Pentax SMC-M 200mm 1:4f Reply with quote

I recently bought this lens from Ebay. And I do love it, it's as lovely as the Super Takumar 150mm 1:4f.

To save some bandwidth of mflenses, I link images rather then upload them.

Full sizes and some more testshots can be seen here on my flickr.

All shots in that set are only converted from raw and had a change in the whitebalance. No sharpness or anything added.

EDIT: Ok so linking didnt work. redoing, be patient.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice & sharp shots, the full size are helpful to evaluate
you shot the girl @ 1/160 & the dog @ 1/100 maybe to slow for a 200mm except if the stabilization of the k10D is so good

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
nice & sharp shots, the full size are helpful to evaluate
you shot the girl @ 1/160 & the dog @ 1/100 maybe to slow for a 200mm except if the stabilization of the k10D is so good

Cheers. I used 1/100 on the dog, because otherwise youd not see his darkface. Very Happy. It was rather dark outside, raining and stuff. But thanks for pointers. And yes, I think that the shake reduction is very good. I am glad I bought a camera that has it. Old hands call for it Wink.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo!
This lens is a fine mechanic and optical surprise. I like it very well, becouse it is on PK-Mouth, not on M42, so the K100d helps with focus and stabi.

The integrated hood is also a good idea.

You made wunderfull pictures, the dog is majestic, like a lion.

regards Peter

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padiej wrote:
becouse it is on PK-Mouth, not on M42, so the K100d helps with focus and stabi.

Forgive me if I'm written wrong but you can have also stabilization & focus confirm with M42 lenses on any Pentax DSLR. You have to :

1 go to the custom menu
2 enable the option which says 'Enable FI with S Lens'
3 enable the option for aperture ring

and swtich the AF mode to M on the left side of the body, and use Av or M mode. Power-off & power-on your Pentax: it will ask you the focal length of the manual lens in order to help the stab working good.

Cheers Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo Flor!

I know, but I have to hot-wire the contacts by the mouth with aluminium paper, becouse the lens is to small or painted.
This is sometimes difficult, if I need a quick change (and the wind blows fast).

Thank´s anyhow, it´s a help for another pentax-user.

regards Peter

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please upload next time pictures, I like to have them here rather than link.
Lovely captures! These pictures are true evidence this is a good lens, I have a very fungused lens it showed crappy pictures.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padiej wrote:
Hallo Flor!

I know, but I have to hot-wire the contacts by the mouth with aluminium paper, becouse the lens is to small or painted.
This is sometimes difficult, if I need a quick change (and the wind blows fast).

I will have a try with Helio-44-2 on a k10d but I don't think you have to play with electric contacts while in full MF lens mode.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't use focustrapping on M42 without shorting out contacts. However, confirmation will work with any lens on K10D.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zewrak - that's a very fine looking lens and it competes well with others in the class. The sample shots are all great but I particularly loved the dog

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great day!

Hallo!

Sunny, worm and full of victory!

Pentax M 200/4 - I never need an autofocus again !!! (perhaps I am tyred)

Today, I was shooting a inlineskate-race and figure scate with quad skates, so I take the pentacon 200/4 and the pentax m 200/4 and no AF.
I am crazy, my childs are in the race, and I without AF - I will shoot foggy pictures, what happend?
80% is sharper then sharp !!! I am so happy!
The pentacon 200 is also very good (better then the little 29mm)!
I am happy about the good catching of moving humans, is not so difficult.
A man with a modern AF-Zoom an canon grey tube (zoom 70-200) was working too, he can´t identify my lenses.
The sharpness is so good, every pixel had a clear beam, I was shooting some pictures with the panasonic Superzoombridge FZ 18, to see a difference.
By looking the distinction, the Superzoombridge is not for fotographs, only for rookie, to much software distortion, sometimes awfully noising -
this is for emergency,
the brilliance only we can create with DSLR + amazing lenses!

Tomorow I will show some pictures.
I am also happy to be here, I like your positive Charakters and the good konversation.

good Night

Peter

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zewrak wrote:
You can't use focustrapping on M42 without shorting out contacts. However, confirmation will work with any lens on K10D.

I find in the menue a point, to allow focushelp and stabi without shorting contacts - I will look into an english description to post it.

I don´t need Alufolie again, pentax is wonderfull, a miss only an aperture simulator for M-Lenses (like the K1000 or ME-Super)-
so I must made some light correction - but on PC no trouble

regards Peter

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padiej wrote:
zewrak wrote:

I find in the menue a point, to allow focushelp and stabi without shorting contacts - I will look into an english description to post it.

I don´t need Alufolie again, pentax is wonderfull, a miss only an aperture simulator for M-Lenses (like the K1000 or ME-Super)-

regards Peter

Good to read the good reports for Pentax. I sometimes wonder that other camera users don't realise what the Pentax can do.
Could you explain to me what you are meaning by 'Aperture simulator' Do you mean to do open aperture metering or something else?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the falling water photos.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padiej wrote:
zewrak wrote:

regards Peter

Image stabilisation should work for any lens, after mounting the camera will ask you to dial in it's focus lenght for it to work correctly. ( my *istDS doesn't have this, but I remember when I once had a K100D for a day )

Focus indication, both the green hexagon in the viewfinder and the piep sound work with any lens, if K mount, M42 lenses or any other used via an adapter.

M42 lenses can be used in Av mode. *ist models expose correctly, the Pentax K models do have problems measuring and need a bias dial in of about +1.5.
Since one may want M42 lenses to open wide for focusing first resp. stop down to wanted aperture only after focusing, preset lenses are the ones that handle best.

here a quote of an earlier post of mine:

Use of M42 lenses on Pentax K100D:

1: menu settings ( which can be left like this for use of any, also AF lens ):
    using aperture ring > permitted
    FI with S lens used ( Focus Indication with Srewmount lens ) > available

2: camera 'body' settings:
    switch AF/MF set to 'manual' focus ( also possible to keep in 'AF' which locks shutter release unless focus in confirmed = let's you take photos only when in focus )
    'Av' mode
    exposure bias +1,5

3: taking photos:
    after turning on camera user is prompted to dial in focal length of mounted lens ( info the camera wants to work the IS properly )
    focus with aperture wide open, 3 fold focus confirmation, when in focus:
      - a red square in the middle of the frame flashes once, also indicating the focus point, ( I believe only centre focusing is working, must verify )
      - a piep sound ( can be turned off )
      - a green hexagon symbol in the viewfinder lights up and stays as long as in focus.
    set desired aperture manually on lens
    'shoot'

use of K mount lenses ( other than 'A' lenses )
    dial in focal length on startup
    choose 'M' mode
    choose aperture manually on lens
    focus
    press AE button ( which stops down the lens to the chosen aperture to choose adequate shutter speed, no exposure bias necessary )
    shoot

use of 'A' K mount lenses with electrical contacts:
focus manually, all exposure related automatisms work = use of all programs.

check out:
guide to use MF lenses on K100d

and:
this one
though some untruth found there, it says that electrical contacts must be covered to get focus confirmation with M42 lens but this is not true, choosing 'FI with S lens used' > 'available' for does the trick
and check first answer here

( last part here a bit changed, originally posted here: http://forum.mflenses.com/135mm-supertak-3-5-pentacon-2-8-berolina-2-8-t5295,highlight,k100d+super.html )

cheers,
Andreas

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Andreas!

Exactly the way.

I asked many peoples in the german pentax-forum, but nobody was knowing this trick, only the alufolie, and I am to silly reading a manual deeply enouth, so I go often needless ways.

Andi wrote:
2: camera 'body' settings:

switch AF/MF set to 'manual' focus ( also possible to keep in 'AF' which locks shutter release unless focus in confirmed = let's you take photos only when in focus )
'Av' mode
exposure bias +1,5 --- a question - is this only software (push brightnes, or is the correction by the shutter-time ?)

Hallo Rob:
I collect and use M-Lenses. Old SLRs knows, which aperture is used and so, the shutter will be set.
The new DSLR don´t know, which aperture is choosed, so I have to push the AE Button - sometimes I vorget, that´s all.

regards Peter

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still need the foil to get trapping. Atleast on the K10D and the K10D don't have the "FI with S lens used ( Focus Indication with Srewmount lens ) > available" setting afais, it works out of the box.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo!
I find this menuepoint in my pentax K100d super, and it works without folie.

Now, one of my great shoot´s from yesterday

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2062/2537561633_1e2f6bb1cd_b.jpg

Only 20% out of focus, that is a surprise, so long my eyes are good, I can abstain Auto Focus.

regards Peter

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padiej wrote:
Hallo!
I find this menuepoint in my pentax K100d super, and it works without folie.

Now, one of my great shoot´s from yesterday

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2062/2537561633_1e2f6bb1cd_b.jpg

Only 20% out of focus, that is a surprise, so long my eyes are good, I can abstain Auto Focus.

regards Peter

I am not sure we talk about the same thing. Focus trapping is when you can hold the shutter release button fully pressed down, then focus, when focus is achieved, the picture is taken. Is that what you mean you can do without shorting out the contacts?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get my K100d in February, could be, that so is a new software inside.
I am sure, this software (firmware) is for download.
http://www.pentaximaging.com/customer_care/show_firmware?firmId=7717476
regards Peter

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padiej wrote:
I get my K100d in February, could be, that so is a new software inside.
I am sure, this software (firmware) is for download.
http://www.pentaximaging.com/customer_care/show_firmware?firmId=7717476
regards Peter

Well, I use the K10D, but I am surprised that it works on the K100D and not the K10D. And yes, I have the latest version of both hardware and firmware.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentax K100 or K10 don't need any extras/contacts to be shorted etc to use focus confirmation. You can actually just hold a lens in front of the body and it will confirm focus if you can get it!
The focus on both models is pretty much Foolproof.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:
The Pentax K100 or K10 don't need any extras/contacts to be shorted etc to use focus confirmation. You can actually just hold a lens in front of the body and it will confirm focus if you can get it!
The focus on both models is pretty much Foolproof.

Yes yes. But thats not what I mean, I got the confirmation. What I mean is when you set the K10D into AF-S mode with manual PK lenses you get inte focustrapping mode.

When in that mode, you can press the shutterrelease button fully down and no picture will be taken. Then you proceed and focus, while holding the button fully pressed down. When something gets in focus the picture is taken.

The only way I have found this to work with the K10D is to short the contacts. And it is a great help when you use long teles and need to be quick. It's pretty much as using autofocus :p.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just tested it with the little M42 Industar 50-2 f3.5.
Focus trap as you mean it works fine, with the K100 but not with the K10
Ie Camera in AF mode press shutter release and camera does not fire till focus is confirmed. So you are right.
Focus confirmation works OK with both.
I am using the proper Pentax internal fitting M42 adaptor and the camera contacts are touching nothing. The Industar is only about 48mm dia.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:
I have just tested it with the little M42 Industar 50-2 f3.5.
Focus trap as you mean it works fine.
Ie Camera in AF mode press shutter release and camera does not fire till focus is confirmed.
I am using the proper Pentax internal fitting M42 adaptor and the camera contacts are touching nothing. The Industar is only about 48mm dia.

And it does not work with M42 (also got Pentax adapter). Only with PK lenses, if I foil the contacts it works.

EDIT: Misread post