Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carenar 135 F2.8 examples inside (huge surprise of a lens)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Carenar 135 F2.8 examples inside (huge surprise of a lens) Reply with quote

Well i was at a car boot sale today when i stumbled on a treasure trove of camera kit, several old zenits, with various lenses, Pentacon 1.8 and Helios 44-2, but in between all that was two lenses i actually purchased I originally was going to leave this lens but when i managed to barter it down to £5 i decided to gamble on it, and ohh boy am i glad i did.
So i Purchased a Cosinan F2.8 MC 28mm and this Carinar 135 F2.8
Here is some examples
NO PP at all on these just straight JPGS not even adjusted the colour.
All that i have done is resize the image, and a 100% crop

It was incredibly windy when shooting these so i am surprised at how good the flowers came out

100%

100%

100%

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find, certainly sharp and contrast looks good too.

Can you post a pic of the lens please, I have a feeling this may be the same as a lens I have seen in Petri mount.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope thats ok
It has Made on Korea written on the lens.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at this it seems almost identical
http://www.mflenses.com/content/view/132/
So i would assume that it is a Petri

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:

Hope thats ok
It has Made on Korea written on the lens.

Hmm, it's not the same as the Petri mount Petris, the one of those I saw marked Carenar was much older and larger. It's not the same as the K-mount Petri 135 I have either, I have a Petri mount Petri 135 from the 60s and it's totally different.

That lens is one I see very often, I have the same lens, branded Mirage, but it had a chipped element so I've just used it to remount a 16.5cm Tessar.

It is commonly seen on ebay under many different names, I'm surprised it's such a nice lens as it's a really cheap Korean piece, when I took mine apart it felt very cheaply made, similar to the 1980s Sigmas.

Here is the lens branded as a Jupiter:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jupiter-M42-Fit-135mm-1-2-8-Auto-Lens-/260786003222?pt=UK_Photography_VintagePhotography_VintagePhotoAccessories&hash=item3cb80e9d16

And here is same lens branded Mirage:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MIRAGE-135-MM-PRIME-LENS-M42-SCREW-FIT-FAULTY-/310319539355?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item48407c649b

Here branded Sicor:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sicor-XL-MC-1-28-f-135mm-lens-No-803952-/360368684209?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item53e7a5bcb1

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ian you certainly know your lenses.
As i say i was more shocked myself with this lens i must have probably got the only one that is this good.
You are right on the build quality its not great and feels nasty the barrel can be turned, etc
I even did my normal test of shooting a chimney top where i live and there was 0 chromatic aberation.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great results. My copy wasn't as good.

Saying that, it looks different (Mine was a Sankor made lens):

As for Petri, I thought their later lenses were re-branded and coming from another maker...

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only know about this lens because I own the Mirage version.

That Sankor does look different, doesn't look too bad in my eyes though.

Good to hear there is little CA, that is a big weakness of many cheap 135, 200 and 300mm lenses, I have a few with noticeable fringing, this Promura 300 being a prime example:

This is a Japanese 2.8/135 I have branded Derek Gardner, nothing special but acceptable:

I have 7 or 8 135mm lenses, I'm going to do a comparison test soon.

As for Petri, there are distinct phases, it's the Petri bayonet mount lenses I'm collecting, the Petri CC Auto ones, I convert them to EOS mount. There are also K mount Petris and M42 Petris, I have a K mount 135, it's tiny, the smallest 135 I have seen.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Wow, great results. My copy wasn't as good...

Smile Graham you had two lenses combined together. Probably even mixed upper and bottom (one element) elements.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Smile Graham you had two lenses combined together. Probably even mixed upper and bottom (one element) elements.

In one of those Mirage 135s like I had, there is a front group that is easily unscrewed and just one element at the rear which is easily removed by removing a retaining ring.

The Mirage lens unscrews in half by unscrewing the helicoid so it would be very easy to replace the front with one from another 135mm lens of the same diameter...

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Why do you think that? The bottom bit definately looks Sankor to me as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find any info regarding Sankor. San-kor. Is KOR for Korea perhaps? Then such lens would make more sense.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems not: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=20009
Still most logical explanation is someone tinkered genuine Sankor with later Korean parts.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens too and think my copy is pretty acceptable. it looks like Eddietmann's. I am not sure if I like the flower and duck pics though. My eyes are shot and I don't know what good is anymore after seeing so much post-processing phony stuff to fool me.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what a Sankor 135mm looks like:

Compared to ManualFocus-G's Carenar:

The front of the Sankor is different however:

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever makes it, it's an ok lens for a fiver.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leaves photo shot by Graham looks very cool. And the bokeh looks artistic too.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, I see where the confusion comes from now Smile Mine is a Sankor made lens, made in Japan. Thanks for the comment Nixland.

The Carenar brand is just a brand...looks like they re-branded several makers' lenses.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Ahh, I see where the confusion comes from now Smile Mine is a Sankor made lens, made in Japan. Thanks for the comment Nixland.

The Carenar brand is just a brand...looks like they re-branded several makers' lenses.

Yup, seen quite a lot of Carenar branded lenses, usually common ones you also see under other brands as well...

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally Carena was a manufacturer of movie equipment based in Lichtenstein, then someone acquired the name and used it as a distributor's label, applied it to a variety of photographic equipment from various OEMs, much like Hanimex.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
Originally Carena was a manufacturer of movie equipment based in Lichtenstein, then someone acquired the name and used it as a distributor's label, applied it to a variety of photographic equipment from various OEMs, much like Hanimex.

Ah, didn't know they were from Lichtenstein but I did know there was an old Carena company and a distributor later used the name. Thanks for the info.

I just finished machining my Mirage copy of this lens so I can fit an enlarger lens in the front to utilise the helicoid so my broken lens turned out to be useful in the end...

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my copy of my Carenar but it does not say where it was made. I would be curious about your thoughts.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the Korean made one, common to see in many brands...

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Here is a sample pic I just took, shot wide-open, under super bright mid-day sunlight, untouched, with an APSC camera. I have two copies of this lens. Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens copy #2, shot wide-open, untouched: