Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Icarex Tessar 2.8/50 - gerania
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Icarex Tessar 2.8/50 - gerania Reply with quote

Some gerania that I saw on my mother's window, almost at dusk.
I was forcedly backlight, so I tried to make a decent one for the backlight thread. Don't know if it succeeded. It was really an extreme situation, as the interior did prevent any sky reflection to fall back on the shadows.
I think that the lens did decently well in the bokeh department. Tessars are known for good medium bokeh but problematic highlights. The highlights in this lens, although not ideal, seem to be less harsh than in the Jena model of the same type.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, harsh not nice.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to the starkness, #1 works for me Orio as does #2.

I prefer #3 to #4 for the better BG blur - did you stop down for #4?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Due to the starkness, #1 works for me Orio as does #2.
I prefer #3 to #4 for the better BG blur - did you stop down for #4?

Yes, #3 is wide open and #4 stopped down.
I agree with your judgement. This is one of the rare lenses where the wide open bokeh looks better than the stopped down bokeh.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Yes, harsh not nice.

Well, it's no Pentacon 135 for sure Wink , but after all not THAT much harsh if you look at the highlight circles in #2 (slightly stopped down) and compare them with those of the Jena version of Tessar 2.8/50 (really ugly).

I will set up a comparison just for fun purpose one of these days Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to say I like the colour rendition too - it has punch without being overly so.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
I meant to say I like the colour rendition too - it has punch without being overly so.

As you probably know, I never change the saturation of my images. I came to like to accept what comes out of the default setting of my camera, even in the cases where I know it could be improved. I take it as part of the process of getting to know my tools (the lenses that I am using). My goal is always to learn to get the most out of them, with the least possible use of digital technology to fix them. Not for a prejudice, simply because I feel that this process will make of me a better photographer.
The merit of colour density in these pictures really goes to Zeiss coating. I shot this lens with no hood (it needs a bayonet hood by the way). Oh if any of you notices one on the Ebay, please drop me a note. I would like to have a hood for this lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to me it look nice bokeh wide open and closed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
to me it look nice bokeh wide open and closed

Yes, I also think it's nice.