Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Variation in graininess with the same lens . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Variation in graininess with the same lens . . . Reply with quote

OK my more experienced compadres Smile

I've been shooting heavily with one lens the Tamron CF TeleMacro zoom 80-210 f1:3.8 . . .

I've done aquite a few shots in the garden and first here are the samples . . .
1: A pink miniature columbine . . .

2: a peony

3: clematis blooms (grainy shot)

3B: clematis blooms (good shot)

All the rest of the shots on the roll are clear and not grainy Confused

Now #2 - the print looks less grainy because they brightened it up.

3+3B: same plant, same lens, shot within seconds of each other . . .

Any ideas guys?
Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually the more underexposed is the shot, the more grainy it's get
have you used manual or auto exposure ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With these shots using thge Minolta I run the auto exposure most of the time.

Though I tell you, I don't remember playing with the fstop and the shots were done in the same session.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uneven liquid rotations in the development tank?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looks to me as if it may be Scanner Noise.
Have you examined the negs on a light table at x8?
Are you scanning at 8 bit 0r 16bit? If 8 bit and you are doing adjustments to levels, colour balance etc you may be introducing noise?
I would always suspect the scanner and PP before anything else.
Which of the Tamron 70-210 f3.8 do you have, the early 03 or latter 103 model?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Epson Perfection 2400 Photo scanner is doing the scans as 48 bit colour images - the graininess appears upon scanning with no adjustments and the other frames are OK Confused
My Tamron is the non SP version (Its not at hand), but most of the other images are shot with that same lens and no problems Confused

Orio - If it was from the processing why would it be only a couple frames that aren't even beside each other?

The though I've been bouncing around in my head was if its an issue with the film. The film is pretty basic stuff - Fuji packaged for the outlet. Now what I'm wondering is - if at the instants these grainy shots show up am I pushing the limits of the film too far? Seems plausible . . .

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'The graininess appears upon scanning with no adjustments and the other frames are OK'

I have no doubt the problem is your scanning and PP.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem pretty unlikely that the film would do something like this, Jim.

To me, it looks like "scanner noise", or SOMETHING with the scanning... Confused

I wish I had better ideas here....are you saying that all scans were basically the automated scans with no "human" changes between scans?

Man, I am certainly stumped on this one. Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

To me, it looks like "scanner noise", or SOMETHING with the scanning... Confused

I wish I had better ideas here....are you saying that all scans were basically the automated scans with no "human" changes between scans?

Yes, they were the auto. Successive frames on same strip will be different - those grainy ones amid all the clear ones? Confused

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot something, an admission, Embarassed I'm a lazy photographer, so I tend to use one ASA of film. Rolling Eyes This is through "years of satisfactory results" - I was satisfied with the commercial prints so I never "reprocessed" it (via scanning). This ASA is 400, and I also know that current 400 speed film doesn't have the graininess of the past versions.

If this admission has thrown people off, I'm sorry - that is if it has any validity . . .

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Auto' will give you different results with 'Successive frames on same strip' the same as a camera will give you different results with the same scene when set to auto.
For consistant results with both always use manual. The user should always be more intelligent or at least have a better idea of what is required than the machine.
Due to your past experience with commercial prints you may never have noticed this or had any cause to worry about it, the lab sorted out the problems.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After mulling things over and being the stubborn type a tried a couple things.My problem with the concept of scanner noise is that it doesn't occur that regularly - and its timing is inconsistant. Why did it occur when I tried to tweak out the graininess - and the other frames were clear still?

So . . .

1 - I rescanned the suspect frame . . .
a: The suspect frame as originally scanned and posted . . .

b: the suspect frame rescanned . . .

Shocked

2: Following Rob's earlier advice I took a closer look at the suspect frame and compared to the others it doesn't look as clear.

Back to the rescan . . .
The original was scanned in professional mode with auto exposure,
The rescan was scanned in full auto mode Shocked Confused (as was the one before it - which proves to me that the auto mode gives consistant results but those are very like the photofinishers, so . . .)

I think the lesson learned here for myself is do bring into consideration the film and possibly look into scanning software that allows for film type adjustment!

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.lukow wrote:
Laurence wrote:

Yes, they were the auto. Successive frames on same strip will be different - those grainy ones amid all the clear ones? Confused

Jim

Holy Cow! Could the scanner be changing to some kind of default resolution at times? This is certainly an anomalous thing to happen the way it does... Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there certainly is a big difference, which does show the problem was the scanning and not the film?

As for the lesson that full auto mode gives consistant results, shouldn't that read inconsistant results?

('The rescan was scanned in full auto mode (as was the one before it - which proves to me that the auto mode gives consistant results but those are very like the photofinishers, so . . .)'

Perhaps the best lesson is never accept that the first or even second or third scan will be the best you can do.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:
Well there certainly is a big difference, which does show the problem was the scanning and not the film?

As for the lesson that full auto mode gives consistant results, shouldn't that read inconsistant results?

('The rescan was scanned in full auto mode (as was the one before it - which proves to me that the auto mode gives consistant results but those are very like the photofinishers, so . . .)'

Perhaps the best lesson is never accept that the first or even second or third scan will be the best you can do.

No.

No. Only one of the 2 images was done in auto mode.

j.lukow wrote:
Back to the rescan . . .
The original was scanned in professional mode with auto exposure,
The rescan was scanned in full auto mode (as was the one before it - which proves to me that the auto mode gives consistant results but those are very like the photofinishers, so . . .)

Allow me to clarify something first . . .
The line saying as was the one before it refers to the frame on the negative strip before it, not the original scan 1.
The original scan is done as all of my scans in Professional mode so I can adjust the image if it requires it - exposure is the only automatic thing in use. I tweak and adjust to the limits of the professional mode. I look for a nice clear "natural" image not an over processed one.
And as I also said . . .
j.lukow wrote:
2: Following Rob's earlier advice I took a closer look at the suspect frame and compared to the others it doesn't look as clear.

By what I can see of the frames the "suspect frame" is grainy unlike the others, so the full auto process compensates for this.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Jules confirmed that the problem is most certainly film oriented.

lulalake wrote:
j.lukow wrote:
@ Jules

Can colour film act the same way? Especially a 400 ASA that has been push a little too much - exposure wise . . .

I've been running into an issue (see: http://forum.mflenses.com/variation-in-graininess-with-the-same-lens-t7712.html )

My gut was saying that since it was an inconsistant problem I was probably pushing it a little too much - though I have to admit I'm not sure how Confused Embarassed

Jim

Yes, I read that thread. Pushing the film pushes the grain. It becomes really apparent when you scan.

Consumer grade film (Kodak Gold ect.), though generally very good color rendition, tends to be granier than "pro" (read expensive) film. Same with Chromogenic films (C41 B&W film).

It's interesting, Provia color 800 ASA film is almost grainless however it's ~9 USD a roll.

The problem is when you get used to it you are very reluctant to use anything else Wink

Jules

What gave me a sense that my thoughts were correct is that today I picked up a batch of pics taken with my Yashica - for which I had only a couple lenses.
The result is grainy dark pictures, result of trying to get one telephoto lens to do everything Shocked Embarassed Mad

Jim