Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kern Aarau Switar 1,8/50 AR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject: Kern Aarau Switar 1,8/50 AR Reply with quote

Today I received my latest purchase-an Alpa Alnea mod.5 with a Kern Aarau Switar 1,8/50 AR lens.
It was an eBay find for $350 dollars-not a bad deal I think.
Upon receiving the lens, I am very satisfied with its condition, with the glass being immaculate.
The only problem is, it gathered some condensation during shipping. It was cold here, and I left it inside the box for a few hours before I opened it. But alas, it was too late.
The camera also looks to be in very nice shape, pretty clean and the shutter works.
I have acquired the same lens before, in very rough shape, and never done anything with it.

In the second picture, you can see the condensation on the edge- it looks fresh to me.
I only have a canon 70D, but I was able to take a couple pictures by simply holding the lens mounted to the camera with the mirror up.
I wanted to just get an idea of the rendering, and I think I like what I saw.

All of those were shot wide open with no PP.

Now here is my questions:
A)is this lens at all adaptable to my Canon EOS? I imagine not with infinity, but is there a glass less adapted out there that could get me close to infinity? Would make for a good macro/isolated subject lens IMO.
B) in regards to condensation, will that go away but be a possible fungus hazard? Does anyone know someone who works on these Alpa lenses that can help me out?
C) the lens without the aperture rig has more blades. What are other differences, and is there and differences in the optics? Also, any difference between regular switar 1.8/50 and the Aarau version? I also just noticed that the new one with the aperture rig is preset...pleasant surprise.
D)Lastly, what is the value of the given lenses in your opinion, and if the camera? I am thinking about selling that to make some of the money back.

As always, any information or insight or criticism or funny remarks are welcome.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'd like to know more about the company and its products, take a look at http://www.kern-aarau.ch/kern/rundgang/optik-und-ihre-produkte.html - there's a section on the Alpa lenses. It's in German, but Google Translation will turn it into reasonably understandable English.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stephen

Aarau Switzerland (Kern-factory) Place , where my family comes from Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens was produced 5,785 from 1958 to 1966, 4 group 6 element double gauss optical lens. It is almost APO-chromatic lens,
you can see IR(infra red) mark within DoF of F1.8 on your lens. But 3D-pop is better than Macro-Switar 50mmF/1.9 definitely, but
my Switar 50/1.8 is a bit hazy/cloudy and its coarting is almost gone.

Enjoy after the lens has been fixed if possible. Here is my samples:

@f1.8

@f2.8

@f5.6

@f2.8 near shot ~1.5m

@f2.8 slightly long shot, you see some flare/haziness against bright area

@f1.8 vignettes

my other samples are here: http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/other_kern_switar_50mm_f18

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you koji! Great info and samples.
It is quite a shame in regard to the moisture, as the glass is otherwise minty.
It would be nice to not have to open her up. The blades work perfectly, and there's hardly any debris or dust-not worth cleaning.
In short- it is otherwise perfect.
Also a shame that I cannot use the lens :/
I keep putting off buying a mirrorless, and just sold off a prominent Nokton. Maybe I should have hung onto that too and just pulled the trigger on a Sony.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to stop procrastinating and buy that mirrorless camera Smile As for the Switar, if the moisture's still there it's telling you that the lens really needs to be opened up and the issue dealt with. It really is too good a lens to leave as a paperweight. Good luck with it !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSW does not really qualify as double Gauss, is apparently corrected for three colours and seems to have 7 elements.

p.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you know Macro-Switar 50/1.8 has 5g/7e optical design, and also Macro-Switar 50/1.9 has 5g/8e design.
However plain Switar 50/1.8 has 4g/6e double gauss design, sure for that I disassembled my plain Switar 50/1.8.

also this plain Switar 50/1.8 is not APO lens, see IR mark (at the red arrow):

Please do not confuse that these two Switar 50/1.8s are different lenses, one Macro the other plain.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IR mark has nothing to do with APO correction. All the Switar 50/1.8 share the same(or very similar) optical design.

Taken for the Alpa booklet from http://www.butkus.org/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, actually it does: an APO or apochromatic corrected lens has no focus shift, so the visible and IR focus point are identical! Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Well, actually it does: an APO or apochromatic corrected lens has no focus shift, so the visible and IR focus point are identical! Wink

Take a look at the two Otus and the Sonnar 135/2, you can see the IR mark on both lens is not overlapping with the mark for visible light. Laugh 1

Here is the ads for the Switar which says it is corrected for 3 primary colors:
https://books.google.com/books?id=m10zAQAAMAAJ&lpg=PA17&dq=Switar%20correct%20for%20three%20primary%20colo&pg=PA17#v=onepage&q&f=false

Last edited by calvin83 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Take a look at the two Otus, you can see the IR mark on both lens is not overlapping with the mark for visible light. Laugh 1

https://books.google.com/books?id=m10zAQAAMAAJ&lpg=PA17&dq=Switar%20correct%20for%20three%20primary%20colo&pg=PA17#v=onepage&q&f=false

Then they are no true Apochromats! Wink Wink Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Take a look at the two Otus, you can see the IR mark on both lens is not overlapping with the mark for visible light. Laugh 1

Then they are no true Apochromats! Wink Wink Wink

Don't spoil the fun of the owns of those APO lenses. The degree of color correction is good enough under most circumstances. Not everyone is going to buy a Coastal Optics 60mm F4. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or an UV Nikkor 105mm, Apo EL Nikkor 105mm, Printing Nikkor 95mm/105mm, Zeiss UV Sonnar 105mm ... all TRUE Apochromats!! Wink Wink Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Or an UV Nikkor 105mm, Apo EL Nikkor 105mm, Printing Nikkor 95mm/105mm, Zeiss UV Sonnar 105mm ... all TRUE Apochromats!! Wink Wink Wink

I am more interested in the Superachromat below. Wink
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/21283122_carl-zeiss-28300mm-tele-superachromat-prototype

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
kds315* wrote:

I am more interested in the Superachromat below. Wink
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/21283122_carl-zeiss-28300mm-tele-superachromat-prototype

I'm sure that went really cheap Whoo Turtle approx USD50.000 incl. premium

Sold HK$320,000

Item Bid History:

Bidder Bid
Competing Bidder HK$190,000
Competing Bidder HK$200,000
Competing Bidder HK$220,000
Competing Bidder HK$240,000
Competing Bidder HK$260,000
Competing Bidder HK$280,000
Competing Bidder HK$300,000
Competing Bidder HK$320,000

Buyer's Premium [An additional service charge for which the buyer is responsible, to be added to the price of the item.]
21%
Estimate HK$220,000 – HK$280,000
Starting Bid HK$120,000

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot the Pentax Ultra Achromatic Takumar 85mm Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re; moisture, I recommend getting a bunch of silica gel packets and sealing the lens (zip lock bag?) with them in a warm place (heatiing pad?) for several days/ weeks and just see where you are at. I'm not sure how hard those are to open but unless you are a skilled tinkerer its easy to damage these old lenses and ruin their collector value (trust me, I know from personal experience!) Not sure what those are worth but if really expensive send it in for CLA by professional. I live in western Oregon where winters are cool and very wet so to prevent fungus I seal my lenses in tea tins or zip locks with those silica gel packets.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Re; moisture, I recommend getting a bunch of silica gel packets and sealing the lens (zip lock bag?) with them in a warm place (heatiing pad?) for several days/ weeks and just see where you are at. I'm not sure how hard those are to open but unless you are a skilled tinkerer its easy to damage these old lenses and ruin their collector value (trust me, I know from personal experience!) Not sure what those are worth but if really expensive send it in for CLA by professional. I live in western Oregon where winters are cool and very wet so to prevent fungus I seal my lenses in tea tins or zip locks with those silica gel packets.

Certainly a good idea, I do so with most of my 600++ lenses. Just a remark: every 3 months or so, exchange the silica gel packs for fresh dried out ones or heat the used one in the microwave oven for some time so they release the moisture they have soaked up and re-use them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

I have one:

image by unoh7, on Flickr

White Respite by unoh7, 135/3.4 APO Telyt

My CV 90/3.5 claims to be APO, but at least for the LTM version, I don't believe it.

Leica only claims APO on three lenses at present, if I'm not mistaken: the APO 50/2; 90/2 and the 135 above.

Last edited by uhoh7 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only true one I know of is the Apo Macro Elmarit 100mm Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

Ahh I see the 75/2 is also APO.

You have some links to say they are not? Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Ahh I see the 75/2 is also APO.

You have some links to say they are not? Smile

I can only relate to real experience of myself or people I closely know and trust.
"see", "read", "heard of" etc does not fall in that (my) category Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leica are like Sigma - they use the term 'Apo' a bit loosely.

I have quite a few true apochromatic lenses, they are mostly process lenses that originally cost multiple thousands of dollars. One in particular I like is the Rodenstock Magnagon 5.6/75 which is a rebadged fixed iris version of the APO-Rodagon-D; another is a Wollensak Apochromatic Raptar f11 540mm, a bit slow but sharper than a very sharp thing. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:

Certainly a good idea, I do so with most of my 600++ lenses. Just a remark: every 3 months or so, exchange the silica gel packs for fresh dried out ones or heat the used one in the microwave oven for some time so they release the moisture they have soaked up and re-use them.

Yes, I forgot to mention they don't last forever. I have an excellent source for them, I work in a pharmacy and we get them in virtually every stock bottle we buy. ( In the US, unlike most other countries the prescriptions are custom labelled in a pill bottle and are generally counted out of a 100 count or 500 count "stock" bottle to match the prescription the Dr ordered).