Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kern Aarau Switar 1,8/50 AR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Time to stop procrastinating and buy that mirrorless camera Smile As for the Switar, if the moisture's still there it's telling you that the lens really needs to be opened up and the issue dealt with. It really is too good a lens to leave as a paperweight. Good luck with it !

You are absolutely right my friend! I had the other one as paperweight basically, but this one is too nice to not be used.
Especially since earlier today I scored a Canon 50mm f/0.95 for $500 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Now I kind of really regret selling my Prominent Nokton I got for $250, but it seems I might be able to fund a mirrorless with the profits off that alone. It will be nice to not have to restict myself to which lenses to acquire, and I've been meaning to get a FF too. Maybe pet 2 birds with one hand.
Thank you for the luck Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Re; moisture, I recommend getting a bunch of silica gel packets and sealing the lens (zip lock bag?) with them in a warm place (heatiing pad?) for several days/ weeks and just see where you are at. I'm not sure how hard those are to open but unless you are a skilled tinkerer its easy to damage these old lenses and ruin their collector value (trust me, I know from personal experience!) Not sure what those are worth but if really expensive send it in for CLA by professional. I live in western Oregon where winters are cool and very wet so to prevent fungus I seal my lenses in tea tins or zip locks with those silica gel packets.

Thank you so much! I appreciate some direct advice every once in a while on here. I have immediately stored it safely in a ziplock bag with a huge silica bag. I wish I had known That before.
You are right in regard to opening her up. i doubt the haze will remain strong enough to warrant that, as I would rather have a lens with minor edge haze that hasn't been opened up, than one that has been. Because like I said, there is no other reason to open the lens. It is very clean.

And I appreciate the rest of the input! To be honest, I am not that informed on what makes a lens APO or what that does, so it's made for some good research. I can't wait to acquire a mirrorless to try it out.
I do not envy my task of figuring out which purchase to make in that regard.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Matter of degrees Reply with quote

Some Kinoptiks also laid claim to such superior colour correction.

As with all optical devices, there is a range of deviation around the exact frequencies corrected for . Some current manufacturers use wording more loosely than others. Hence "Apochromatic" is subject to devious marketing speak obfuscating the sometimes varying degrees of three-colour correction.

p.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:
I can't wait to acquire a mirrorless to try it out.

You've acquired rare and higher end lenses lately, so i'll humbly suggest you get a FF
mirrorless camera to appreciate your finds to their full potential.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Matter of degrees Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:
Some Kinoptiks also laid claim to such superior colour correction.

As with all optical devices, there is a range of deviation around the exact frequencies corrected for . Some current manufacturers use wording more loosely than others. Hence "Apochromatic" is subject to devious marketing speak obfuscating the sometimes varying degrees of three-colour correction.

p.

Very true indeed Paul! Personally I rather use the term as used in microscopy where it really stands for perfect color correction without any color fringing and perfectly matching images in all three color channels.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
StillSanj wrote:
I can't wait to acquire a mirrorless to try it out.

You've acquired rare and higher end lenses lately, so i'll humbly suggest you get a FF
mirrorless camera to appreciate your finds to their full potential.

Mir, thank you for sticking to the topic. You are right, I have gotten really lucky with some great bargains, on some great lenses.
I wood be remiss to get anything other than a FF. I can also get EOS adapter to use my my already converted/adapted lenses.
I will have to do some research what the best value purchase for Sony A# would be right now, then try to find one for the right price.
Very excited about the inevitable mirrorless addition, wish I didn't wait so long! Also, can't wait to try that 0.95 Very Happy