Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Y/C 2.8/135mm YASHICA DSB, ML and TOKINA RMC compared on NEX
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Y/C 2.8/135mm YASHICA DSB, ML and TOKINA RMC compared on NEX Reply with quote

1. DSB is different design. Check rear part photos. ML and RMC as well known are nearly the same except:
2. RMC and ML have different coatings. That can be seen in color reproduction. ML is warmer. I think i manage to capture that in samples below.
3. DSB is clearly the sharpest. My lenses are healthy and clean thus this is pretty conclusive.
4. RMC and ML corrects flare but do not succeed in removing purple fringing on shiny spots.
5. All three are good lenses, usable wide open.

Color tone and sharpness wide open:

DSB

RMC

ML

DSB wide-open nice

Last edited by Pancolart on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have DSB and I had C marked ML just like yours , C means made by Cosina , less good lens than other ML without C.

I like my DSB great lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I have DSB and I had C marked ML just like yours , C means made by Cosina , less good lens than other ML without C. I like my DSB great lens.

You gotta be mistaken here Atilla. 135mm ML C is RMC Tokina clone. Minor differences only. Superb finish, solid lens identical to Yashica 1.4/50mm ML series.

I'll shot DSB more, i like it too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh! So I picked up a 135mm ML (without c) and now you say a DSB is sharper, but I would have thought all ML lenses were superior to DSB ones....lucky I got it very cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Attila wrote:
I have DSB and I had C marked ML just like yours , C means made by Cosina , less good lens than other ML without C. I like my DSB great lens.

You gotta be mistaken here Atilla. 135mm ML C is RMC Tokina clone. Minor differences only. Superb finish, solid lens identical to Yashica 1.4/50mm ML series.

According to member Koji C lens is Cosina, I believe in his experience.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Pancolart wrote:
Attila wrote:

According to member Koji C lens is Cosina, I believe in his experience.

I hope Koji pops in on the subject, i have sent him PM. According to this forum discussion "C" stands for COMPACT: http://www.yashicaforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=426

Non C version truly seems taller: Click here to see on Ebay

Excalibur wrote:
Huh! So I picked up a 135mm ML (without c) and now you say a DSB is sharper, but I would have thought all ML lenses were superior to DSB ones....lucky I got it very cheap.

The difference is so marginal, i'd also choose ML over DSB due to multicoating, build-in hood and better construction.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/yashica-135mm-f2-8-m42-auto-yashinon-ds-m-135mm-f2-8-t14269,highlight,%2Byashica+%2Bml.html

Koji post is here about C mark

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
http://forum.mflenses.com/yashica-135mm-f2-8-m42-auto-yashinon-ds-m-135mm-f2-8-t14269,highlight,%2Byashica+%2Bml.html

Koji post is here about C mark

Thank you. I strongly suspect Koji was thinking of DSB version there. It has plastic focusing ring and truly resemble some Cosina lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably, I found C version was not good at all mediocre lens. I did love much DSB.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you to flip your third picture to match the first 2 ones, otherwise it is very confusing (first 2 pictures have DSB lens on the left while the third one has it on the right).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
I suggest you to flip your third picture to match the first 2 ones, otherwise it is very confusing (first 2 pictures have DSB lens on the left while the third one has it on the right).

..and my 135mm ML non c is much longer @ 10cm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:

Done. Thank you Dimitry, that really was confusing. Middle photo still has RMC and ML misplaced position.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
..and my 135mm ML non c is much longer @ 10cm

Another confirmation "C" could stand for compact.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Done. Thank you Dimitry, that really was confusing. Middle photo still has RMC and ML misplaced position.***

Pictures of the mount still need to be flipped horizontally, and my "no c" version is slightly different.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Y/C 2.8/135mm YASHICA DSB, ML and TOKINA RMC compared on Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
1. DSB is different design. Check rear part photos. ML and RMC as well known are nearly the same except:
2. RMC and ML have different coatings. That can be seen in color reproduction. ML is warmer. I think i manage to capture that in samples below.
3. DSB is clearly the sharpest. My lenses are healthy and clean thus this is pretty conclusive.
4. RMC and ML corrects flare but do not succeed in removing purple fringing on shiny spots.
5. All three are good lenses, usable wide open.

I can corroborate the above in my own tests. I have the following Yashica labeled 135mm lenses:

ML
    ML C
    YUS
    DSB

The ML C is the identical lens to a Tokina model. The DSB is the sharpest of the lot, with better contrast than the other three. The closer in you zoom the more apparent is the difference between the DSB and the other three. I have a Sonnar 135mm and the DSB is much closer to being a poor man's Zeiss than any of the others.

The YUS is the softest and least everyday useful, in my tests. The ML and ML C both can produce pleasing images. But both show their shortcomings earlier than the DSB when you start magnifying the images to crop. I have searched extensively and am confident that the DSB is neither a Tokina or a Cosina. I cannot find any Tomioka rebrand that has the physical characteristics of the DSB, either. Wish I knew who made the DSB. Nice lens.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that pcovers. I have the Contax Sonnar AEG and its plenty sharp wide open, but I'll keep a lookout for a DSB version if one pops up cheap.