Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rollei mount Zeiss F-Distagon on Canon EF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Rollei mount Zeiss F-Distagon on Canon EF Reply with quote

After using the Rollei F-Distagon on a Sony NEX, I have started to rethink
my conclusion that focusing it on Canon EF is problematic.

With the NEX I had no problem to focus perfectly 3+ meters away (only tested it indoors yet).
At f/4, almost everything in the house was sharp.

I recall that even using f/11 or f/16 was not enough to have a clear subject 10 meters away
on my 5D.

This is strange. Because if my Rollei to Canon adapter was bad, I would miss infinity focus
but by stopping down I should get acceptable results.

Does anybody know if it is theoretically possible for the lens to work well on Canon bodies?
I will investigate the issue further, and I will let you know my findings.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why not, I have Rollei HFT Planar 1.8/50 and have used it on 10D and 400D with QBM-EOS adapter.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rollei lenses' focus needs to be adjusted to work properly on Canons.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I don't see why not, I have Rollei HFT Planar 1.8/50 and have used it on 10D and 400D with QBM-EOS adapter.

Can you remember where you got your adapter from?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, ebay, I forget which seller now, probably Big-Is.

I am selling my Rollei HFT Planar 1.8/50 and my Rolleinar 4/80-200, both excellent lenses but I just don't need them anymore since I sold my EOS, I only shoot Konicas with my NEX now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikos, no Rollei-EOS adapter will ever give you infinity focus, it is impossible, they should be thin as a hair to allow infinity.
You can use the Rollei lenses at infinity on EOS cameras only by having their infinite focal point shifted on the helicoid.
Some have done it at home, for precious lenses I would recommend a professional service.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure Orio? The adapter would need to be 0.7mm thick, that is feasible.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Nikos, no Rollei-EOS adapter will ever give you infinity focus, it is impossible, they should be thin as a hair to allow infinity.
You can use the Rollei lenses at infinity on EOS cameras only by having their infinite focal point shifted on the helicoid.
Some have done it at home, for precious lenses I would recommend a professional service.

Perhaps infinity focus is difficult, but focusing at 1.5m is enough for a fisheye lens.
Well, this was not possible with the adapter I tried.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what to say, I can only bring my experience, that says that with the many Rollei to EOS adapter that I tried, I could never find one that would give Infinity focus.
I have, in fact, even decided that I will have two of my Rollei lenses recollimated for infinity on a EOS camera (by a professional service).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're sure, that's fine, I bow to your greater experience.

I don't have an EOS anymore so i can't try mine out and it's for sale on ebay anyway so I probably won't have it long.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Rollei lenses' focus needs to be adjusted to work properly on Canons.

+1 I unscrewe focusing ring of my planar 50/1,4 QBM, made adjustmen, then screw it again.
Ian, I think your Rollei lenses has been modified before you buy it

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly doubt that IAZA, it shows no signs of ever being opened, or even used for that matter, it is like new.

It does seem to hit infinity on an EOS:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my lens was MINT too Wink
I didn't open whole body. just 2 screw on focusing ring. no mark of it being opened

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I highly doubt that IAZA, it shows no signs of ever being opened, or even used for that matter, it is like new.

The three screws which allow adjust infinity are hidden under filter ring, which is only screwed on lens barrel.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have documentation on the steps for performing this adjustment?
Thanks in advance,

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted on the forum how to adjust infinity focus for this lens.
BTW, the Canon EOS bodies with APS-C sensor would probably achieve infinity focus, for FF DSLR, no way: I have tested 2 lenses and 3 different adapters with focus achieving 5m with a shave back metal lens support.

Cheers,

Renato