Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New cheap chinese Opteka 85/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: New cheap chinese Opteka 85/1.8 Reply with quote

It's sold by several retailers in US and first lenses also hit EU market.
It's unlike other (good) Opteka lenses not made by Samyang - it looks like it's made by an Chinese manufacturer (Mitakon?).
Reviews on Amazon etc. are very mixed, from "crap in all aspects" over "optically good but stopped working after a few days" up to "as good as Canon L series"

EU:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Opteka-Manual-Aspherical-Telephoto-Cameras/dp/B00BUSXXP0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384887994&sr=8-1&keywords=85+1.8+opteka
US:
http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Aspherical-Telephoto-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00BUSXXP0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384888532&sr=8-1&keywords=opteka+85

Any thoughts about it?
It looks interesting to me as ~F2 is fast enough for me and it's much smaller than the Samyang 85/1.4 I already have.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a(New) Mitakon 85mm f2 with roughly the same price, should have good construction sense but ungainly in focus and not so sharp at maximum aperture.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitakon-85mm-F2-Portrait-Prime-Lens-for-Pentax-K-K5-K30-K3-PK-Mount-Camera-Sil-/300999529547?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item4614f8544b&afsrc=1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is available for Canon and Nikon too and also in black.

http://stores.ebay.com/weakpotoman/Other-/_i.html?_nkw=85mm&submit=Search&_fsub=1&_sid=149860250

Found an old thread on an earlier version of the Mitacon lens

http://forum.mflenses.com/mitakon-mc-85mm-f2-made-in-china-t30160.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the F2 and the F1.8 are really the same? I don't think so.
F1.8 and F2 are quite a differenc.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are different lenses.

The V2 thread Mitakon 85mm thread:
http://forum.mflenses.com/mitakon-85mm-f2-t61011.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
F1.8 and F2 are quite a different.

No, different lenses. The 85/2 is a 6 lenses in 6 groups construction, while the 85/1.8 is actually 10 lenses in 7 groups (at least according to manufacturer's spec). Does anyone know a place to order this lens from within the EU? The price is reasonable, but the way German customs work makes me sick and not really willing to order anything from outside the EU (I guess that's what they are actually for, at least in Germany).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
ForenSeil wrote:

No, different lenses. The 85/2 is a 6 lenses in 6 groups construction, while the 85/1.8 is actually 10 lenses in 7 groups (at least according to manufacturer's spec). Does anyone know a place to order this lens from within the EU? The price is reasonable, but the way German customs work makes me sick and not really willing to order anything from outside the EU (I guess that's what they are actually for, at least in Germany).

If you have a EC/credit card like Visa, Maestro, Mastercard you could order them on Amazon.co.uk (see link in my first post of this thread)
They offer an 1day-delivery to Germany btw. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
ForenSeil wrote:

I do not believe it is 10 lenses in 7 groups.... The spec I see in other source is in 6e/6g. This lens seems have fragile aperture like the Mitakon 85 V1.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hard time believing in the 10/7 construction either. The reviews are not optimistic thus far; the (unknown) manufacturer made at least two samples with faulty aperture. Normally I'd be all over a new 85mm lens, but these reports on its lack of quality stop me from ordering a sample. I did get the new Mitakon 85/2 though, and I do like that lens (thanks to Calvin who helped me obtain one from China!)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to buy this lens, but there are no offers for Sony Alpha mount. However, amazon has a version for Sony NEX, which is basically some other mount+nex adapter. By looking at this picture, I can say, it is a Nikon mount?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/715iIT6FVpL._SL1357_.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the same company that is making really cheap knockoffs of old Canon designs. There is a 1.8/50 and a 2/35, both are awful, even worse than the Canon originals in build quality and have quite rotten IQ too. The price is good though - 35ukp for the 1.8/50 (the Canon version is 85ukp) but you get what you pay for - flimsy plastic that will fall apart after a while.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I think this is the same company that is making really cheap knockoffs of old Canon designs. There is a 1.8/50 and a 2/35, both are awful, even worse than the Canon originals in build quality and have quite rotten IQ too. The price is good though - 35ukp for the 1.8/50 (the Canon version is 85ukp) but you get what you pay for - flimsy plastic that will fall apart after a while.

No. The 1.8/50 and 2/35 is made by YONGNUO, the company who well known for its flashes. This 85/1.8 is make by another small company.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Calvin.

Are yongnuo actually making those lenses themselves or are they buying them from a supplier?

I was really pleased when I saw those lenses and the price. Then I looked at the IQ and was saddened.

Cheap is good.

Cheap and poor quality is not good.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the junk Youngnuo flashes are, I guess, lens will be the same?

But let's return to the topic, anyone tested these 85/1.8 yet?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the build the electrical part and assemble the lens. The the optical elements are made from one of the optical company in China.

I have not tried the 85/1.8 due to its poor build quality. It is better go for a Samyang 85 1.4 or Mitakon 85 2.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
Considering the junk Youngnuo flashes are, I guess, lens will be the same?

But let's return to the topic, anyone tested these 85/1.8 yet?

Have you checked the examples on flickr yet?

http://www.flickr.com/search/?text=Opteka%2085mm%201.8

Some quite impressive pictures from this lens there.
If you consider the price (I've seen offers from $ 99 on *bay) it's not bad at all.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are downsized. I'd like to see full size, center crop, edge crop, etc. if possible Smile