Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mitakon 85mm F2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Mitakon 85mm F2 Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zhongyi-Mitakon-F2-0-85mm-Silent-Frame-Prime-Lens-for-Pentax-PK-Mount-Camera-/221264427844?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item3384633b44

Has anyone tried this or another Mitakon lens? How are they?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Mitakon 85mm F2 Reply with quote

David wrote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zhongyi-Mitakon-F2-0-85mm-Silent-Frame-Prime-Lens-for-Pentax-PK-Mount-Camera-/221264427844?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item3384633b44

Has anyone tried this or another Mitakon lens? How are they?

I haven't seen a review yet, but they are available for about the same price as a used Jupiter 9, so a comparison between the two would be very welcome.
OH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our member aoleg has a copy in Pentax mount. Here are his comment.

aoleg wrote:

I also have v. I of the same lens. Compared to the previous version, this one has much better build quality. Miles ahead. Coatings are also visibly different (they look bright amber, almost copper-like in this lens).

I quickly tested its image quality, and it appears similar to the lens it replaced: sharp in the center, soft corners wide open, but high contrast and great colors (colors and contrast were excellent even with the first version by the way). I didn't have time for a more comprehensive examination, but I hope I will soon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I have this lens, as well as v.I. Calvin helped me get one from China (thank you, Calvin!)

I can only repeat what's been already said. Good (but still not great) build quality, which is much better than v. 1. Better coating compared to v.1. Rather unique rendering - I haven't seen one like that in other lenses. Great colors and reasonably good contrast. In my opinion, this lens is worth the asking price, and is a worthy competitor to Jupiter-9.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price is a bit expensive to me as they sold for 850 CNY in China. There is also a chrome version. I think it may be worth to get one if one does not have any 85mm in Lecia like barrel design.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this 'plain' PK or PKA (with the metering contacts)?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:

It's "dumb mount" with zero automation. No levers of any kind, not even for stopping down aperture. Aperture is fully manual. (I have the Pentax K version).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the link and the info !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, everyone. That's really helpful. I have the 77mm FA Limited 1.8, but was attracted to this one, too. I'm definitely putting this lens on my wish list.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, everyone. That's really helpful. I have the 77mm FA Limited 1.8, but was attracted to this one, too. I'm definitely putting this lens on my wish list.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thread on the V1:

http://forum.mflenses.com/mitakon-mc-85mm-f2-made-in-china-t30160.html

I have the V1 and I can compare it with the Jupiter-9 (both M42 and LTM version).

The M42 J-9 is soft until f/4 and decent after that. The LTM version is sharp from f/2. The Mitakon is as sharp as the LTM but has some annoying blue aberrations that can be a problem sometimes. All these lenses are vulnerable to flare. The early versions of the Mitakon had aperture control, but the manufacturer dropped that feature in later builds, apparently because it was malfunctioning (I had no issue with my copy).

My reviews:

http://laurphoto.blogspot.com/2010/11/mitakon-852.html
http://laurphoto.blogspot.com/2011/03/jupiter-9-mc.html
http://laurphoto.blogspot.com/2013/04/jupiter-9-ltm.html

The build of this V2 looks nicer than that of the earlier version. This lens won't really compete with your FA77, but it will be decent. Not sure about the price though - the earlier version was less expensive and this money can be spent on better lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

A quick question for owners of the Pentax V2 lens, if I may. I understand that the lens lacks any auto-aperture functionality, so the Pentax K version doesn't have the usual K-mount lever at the back. Is the little protruding shroud/baffle, also typical of K-mount lenses, also missing?

My question is prompted by curiosity about the K-mount version's usability on FF Canon via the appropriate adapter. Since both the lever and the baffle are often problematic in this regard, it would be nice to know whether the lens's rear mount is totally flat. (The eBay listing photos don't give me a great deal of confidence, since I'm not sure they're actually showing the K-mount lens.)

I know I could simply choose one of the other mounts, but the K-mount version, if usable on the Canon, would give me the greatest versatility.

Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Univer wrote:
Hi,

A quick question for owners of the Pentax V2 lens, if I may. I understand that the lens lacks any auto-aperture functionality, so the Pentax K version doesn't have the usual K-mount lever at the back. Is the little protruding shroud/baffle, also typical of K-mount lenses, also missing?

My question is prompted by curiosity about the K-mount version's usability on FF Canon via the appropriate adapter. Since both the lever and the baffle are often problematic in this regard, it would be nice to know whether the lens's rear mount is totally flat. (The eBay listing photos don't give me a great deal of confidence, since I'm not sure they're actually showing the K-mount lens.)

I know I could simply choose one of the other mounts, but the K-mount version, if usable on the Canon, would give me the greatest versatility.

Thanks for your help!

Yes. The P/K version has a 'plain' mount. The link I posted shows the mount already.
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Univer wrote:
My question is prompted by curiosity about the K-mount version's usability on FF Canon via the appropriate adapter.

Yes, botht he lever and the baffle are missing. The PK mount is completely flat with no protruding parts whatsoever. I use this lens both on my Pentax K5 and Canon 5DmkII bodies with great success. I can confirm that this lens adapts very well to Canon full frame without hitting anything whatsoever.

This wasn't true for v.I of this lens by the way; this is why I got the Canon version of v.I and the Pentax version of v.II lens.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Thanks so much for the terribly helpful information! I wasn't 100% sure that the auction listing showed the PK version; my eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be, and the lens in the photo looked a bit Nikon-ish to me.

Nice to know that the v.2 PK lens coexists happily with both Pentax and full-frame Canon.

Thanks again!