Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Options for macro . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Options for macro . . . Reply with quote

Several zoom lens I have are marked Telephoto Macros, but still I'm not totally happy with them, when I try for an extreme closeup.

When I first arrived I asked abot Achromatic lenses - screw on close up - and have note time and time again how tricky they are for DOF.

I've seen mention in other posts about extension tubes, so a couple questions . . .
1- Are they better for dealing with DOF?
2- Their purpose is also to shorten the focussing distance Y/N?
3- Do they work with any focal length?

I know there are also reversal rings as well.
Thanks in advance,
Jim

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo Jim!

I have this extention rings, and this rings are working with all focus lengths, but 50mm is standard, I know.

Another method is using a lens reverse, with an adapter (or a "balgengerät").

A good macro is the pentax m 100/4.

regards Peter

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

1) No
2) Yes
3) Yes

What do you mean by extreme closeup ?
What do you want to shot ?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Extension tubes will allow you to close focus and will work with any lens that attach's to them. You will have shallow DOF and sometimes this is VERY shallow indeed.

I have used them with plenty of lenses, including Micro-Nikkor lenses with varying results.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent macro lens is the Volna-9 2.8/50 which is much cheaper than most of the other "real" macro lenses and at least as good.

Esp. with macro shots AF is not important, so it makes hardly any sense to invest in the more expensive AF solutions.

The Volna-9 comes in M42, so you can get additional extension rings for almost no money on *bay, just in case you want to get really close.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
An excellent macro lens is the Volna-9 2.8/50 which is much cheaper than most of the other "real" macro lenses and at least as good.

Seconded. I just would like to add that the Volna-9 is a classic Tessar formula lens, and we all know how good can be good Tessar lenses...

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macro can be achieved in several ways:

1) Specially designed lenses - look for those that give 1:1 without additional devices.
2) Extension tubes - you can mount any focal length lens on them and achieve macro
3) Bellows - as above but variable length and sometimes tilt and shift too.
4) Reversed lens - requires purpose built adapter, but can produce stunning results

Macro can only be done with manual focus, despite what the producers say, so go for MF lenses. I have not tried it personally, but I have seen results from enlarging lenses on extension rings or bellows that are spectacular, and enlarging lenses are going very cheaply now (most have M42 threads). The Volna-9 is an excellent way to try your hand without investing too much. A good macro lens can command significant dollars.

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the influx of advice, I'll try to help focus things a bit . . .

@poilu
By extreme closeup, I mean getting a shot of a bumblebee cramming its body down a Wiegela bloom and the shot filling my camera's viewfinder. Smile
I've been loving the detail and structure of the plants in the garden - occasionally you can catch a small ghost-like spider prowling between the petals. Smile

@patrickh
You mention about the adapters that I think are termed reversing rings, are you speaking from your own experience?

@ everyone . . .
AF/digital aren't issues, as I'm a film shooting MF 35mm camera guy Wink
The biggest hassle I run into is the very shallow DOF I get while using the closeup lens. If a bloom is a 4 cm diameter "sphere"/hemisphere then parts will be blurred.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only solution I know about the DOF problem is shooting with a tilt lens, or a tilting bellow (Nikon made one, the PB6 maybe, not sure about the code), or a large format camera.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alessandro is correct about tilting. I also forgot to mention the addon lenses that you originally mentioned. The Canon is often mentioned with respect. I have no personal experience of reversing lenses - I just use bellows, rings and macro lenses.
DOF is mainly a physical properties issue and one of the constant balancing acts is speed vs aperture only in macro it is critical. So - lighting is very important. So is a tripod. Also for this reason you will find most macro lenses are slow - you simply cannot use anything wider than 5.6 as a rule of thumb (and yes I know everyone has great shots at 2.Cool. Smile Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
The only solution I know about the DOF problem is shooting with a tilt lens, or a tilting bellow (Nikon made one, the PB6 maybe, not sure about the code), or a large format camera.

Nikon's tilting bellows is the PB-4. Contax also has a tilting bellows, as does Minolta (the auto-bellows III I'm offering in the marketplace section). All these bellows only have a swinging front standard, which means you get side-to-side tilt with the bellows in a normal position and you need to flip the bellows on its side to get front-to-back tilt.

I use all kinds of methods for macro (micro) photography, bellows, extension rings, achromatic close up lenses, lenses reversed in front of telephoto lenses, reversed lenses and many macro lenses.

There are several things to consider, such as ease of use, working distance, magnification range, loss of light and cost of course.

When you add extension, either through bellows or extension rings, you lose light. The amount of extension needed for a certain magnification depends on the focal length of the lens you're using. The rule of thumb is that if you want 1:1 magnification, you need to add as many mm extension as the focal length of the lens, so 50mm extension for a 50mm lens. Longer telephoto lenses will give you more working distance (useful for scared or scary critters), but you will need more extension. For an example of one of my experiments, check the last post in this thread:

http://forum.mflenses.com/my-latest-frankenstein-lens-experiment-t6964.html

Dick

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I'm running into with just a (Minolta XG70) with Tamron CF TeleMacro zoom 80-210 f1:3.8 . . . For focus I need to work on my DOF Embarassed
These are anemones - aka Grecian Windflowers . . .

Jim

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a lensbaby on the bellows for tilting? Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zewrak wrote:

If you love chromatic aberrations everywhere it could be a good choice Razz

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
zewrak wrote:

If you love chromatic aberrations everywhere it could be a good choice Razz

Very Happy. I'll stick to photography of blue abstract stuff. Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my bellows (as seen in "Score" thread).

This is my first tries. Handheld on a 6-8mm fly. No masterpieces, but I am happy for being the first try ever with extensions of any kind.

http://flickr.com/photos/zewrak/ for larger images.

Its great fun. But a bit hard to get used to zooming by moving the whole packet back and forth Wink. Used a Helios 44-2 on the bellows. I'll try with the Chinonflex 100mm instead later on I think. Was well hard to use it that close.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one! I really wish to get time to myself to do same. Congrats!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats zewrak! top quality result from the first try and at 1/15s Shocked

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you just love the HUGE DOF! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maddog10 wrote:
Don't you just love the HUGE DOF! Very Happy

Suppose I should get a 32 aperture lens :p I got one somewhere i think Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know. It is not cheating to make your own aperture. How does f64 sound?

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the true one

http://www.vividlight.com/articles/2914.htm

I know, I know, but it's a manual one.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Options for macro . . . Reply with quote

j.lukow wrote:
Several zoom lens I have are marked Telephoto Macros, but still I'm not totally happy with them, when I try for an extreme closeup.

When I first arrived I asked abot Achromatic lenses - screw on close up - and have note time and time again how tricky they are for DOF.

I've seen mention in other posts about extension tubes, so a couple questions . . .
1- Are they better for dealing with DOF?
2- Their purpose is also to shorten the focussing distance Y/N?
3- Do they work with any focal length?

I know there are also reversal rings as well.
Thanks in advance,
Jim

I use all and everything. I have had good results from Vivitar close up lenses I bought for next to nothing. I use them on Lens baby and on my Zenitar 16mm.
For most ‘Macro’ I prefer extension tubes and often reverse a lens.
One of the reasons I have never bought or wanted a dedicated ‘Macro. Lens is because I want to use different lenses for macro and close ups. I would consider myself to be ‘In a rut’ if I only used one lens for a particular type of photography.
I have just posted some macro test shots from the Tamron SP 60-300mm. I did these today and I also shot some with Lens Baby to show what that can do with close up/ macro.

DOF can't be changed by FL.
DOF is controlled by shooting distance (This would also include recording format ie a 50mm lens on a x2 crop sensor would have a greater subject to camera distance than the same size image on FF 35mm)
Aperture. The smaller the aperture the greater the DOF However with smaller recording medium one is limited to how far you can stop down before seing a serious loss of quality. On a 1.5 crop DSLR quality will begin to drop at smaller apertures than f11/16

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried the Volna-9, that's one for the future. But for the present I use the Flek 2.4/35 for close-up work. The magnification factor isn't as high of course, but it will focus on something almost touching the front element.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my leica bellow 2 (Idon't see better than this).
With the lens, without attachment i like the Steinheil macro-quinar 2,8/100, focus to 1:1,3 with double focussing mechanism, one to 1:1 and the second - nearest the front of the lens- to 1:1,3. And the sharp and contrast : The best of the best. Only four elements, (sonnar design) no flare with single coated. Great!!!!
With the bellow, I like rodenstocks or schneiders makro lenses with adap. and don´'t go to smaller aperture than F/22 or, better, 32.