Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What lens has "glowy" effect?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: What lens has "glowy" effect? Reply with quote

Kind of like the effect of the Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.4 wide open.

Here's example (not taken with Minolta)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a HDR, high dynamic range photo.
I love the Minolta Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 glow much.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get this with the Mamiya 55mm f1.8:

N.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What lens has "glowy" effect? Reply with quote

[quote="vanylapep"]Kind of like the effect of the Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.4 wide open.

How peculiar. I've used this lens on occasion in the past and I don't remember anything like this. What camera was this taken with? Is it an APS-C? Of course I can't say anything with any certainty, but I suspect this effect may be due to the way extraneous light bounces around in front of the sensor.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fungus causes glow. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Fungus causes glow. Wink

Laugh 1 yes or any serious blemishes on any lens or if lens is pure crap Laugh 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow !
Venice never looked so good - except in a painting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a few close pictures of the sea at windy days, then don't clean the filter, it will give this effect on all your lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 100mm Soligor had a bit of a glow to it. It's one of the reasons I sold it a week after purchase.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my faulty M-Rokkor 2.8/28 Wink

[url=https://flic.kr/p/C8gkWJ]
traditional coffee farmer house[/url] by andreas, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Fungus causes glow. Wink

Then it's called fun-gus. Wink

Aren't there any Cokin filters for these effects?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe some kind of diffuse filter - i think i have one but the effect was not very strong.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: What lens has "glowy" effect? Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
Kind of like the effect of the Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.4 wide open.

Now that is REALLY good!! Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
Maybe some kind of diffuse filter - i think i have one but the effect was not very strong.

Very often people think that, but it is not the same. Filters, diffusors, nylons, all that brings darkness into the light.
But the real glow is bringing the light into the darkness, a subtle but very important difference this is!! Wink

A lens which has this ability cannot be replaced by any other means....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some other examples of lenses with glow?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
Some other examples of lenses with glow?

There are special soft focus lenses which often have an adjustable "glow" effect.
A few samples I have listed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157624557978060

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, the glow effect in that beautiful Venice picture is due to the HDR toning that has been applied. I have had similar glow effects in some of my HDR work.

Not the best examples of glow but all I could find without doing a lengthy search of my hard drives:

Sankor 2.8/35 on Sony a850:

Mamiya SX 2.8/28 on Sony a850:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although OP suggests that the image is the result of glowing by lens, I believe the picturesque effect was obtained by post-processing through manipulation of tones. This is very clear when you compare the histogram of the photo presented with the histogram of another picture. The original image histogram has basically only one peak in dark tones, and then decays gradually. Note how the highlights have been strongly compressed. In a more normal photo, the histogram has multiple peaks for various tones, and does not suffer from an artificial compression of the highlights.

Histogram of original picture of Venice:

Histogram of "normal" picture of Venice:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Meyer Diaplan 2.8/100 had a heavy glow - so heavy that it looks unsharp.
It was so bad that i tough the lens is badly reassembled by previous owner.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten some glowy shots with the legendary Meyer Trioplan 100 2.8 when shot wide open.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to experiment with an Helios 44-2

reversing the front lens may lead to extrem swirly effect and/or the blur effect here after:

disassembling the front element to remove only the second lens gives a kind of monocle effect:

All those effects can be trimmed when the diaphragm is closed ...

regards
Alain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
I remember Meyer Diaplan 2.8/100 had a heavy glow - so heavy that it looks unsharp.
It was so bad that i tough the lens is badly reassembled by previous owner.

Hilarious!! Thank You Dog

By the way, I did not take the original photo, i found it online so i don't know how it was created Smile Sorry for confusion.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Fujinon 55mm 1.6 in M42, has quite a glow wide open.Would need to sift the hard drive for a sample, may try later as I`m working.

I originally thought it was due to being a poor quality lens but with hindsight I think it was an "effect" lens as I bought that and a 135mm 2.5 Fujinon from an old wedding tog on ebay.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I've gotten some glowy shots with the legendary Meyer Trioplan 100 2.8 when shot wide open.

Indeed Trioplan has also glowing wide open

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glow or glowy lens = spherical aberration. Best examples are older Leica lenses, but sssh don't tell Leica owners that. They think the prices they paid are for higher quality and exclusivity.... Laugh 1