Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica ML 28-85
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Yashica ML 28-85 Reply with quote

And speaking of zooms... I just bought one. A Yashica ML 28-85 for 129 Euros.
I was looking for a zoom wide to moderate tele to replace the Tamron I sold a few months ago.
I was oriented on the Contax zooms but they are too expensive for the kind of money I am prepared to spend on a zoom lens. The 28-85 at Keh was for double price than I paid for this and it was in "bargain" condition (which means dents and scratches on glass). On Ebay, the Contax 28-85 in good condition is often listed around 500 Euros and sometimes more. Of course if you wait a bit you can catch the auction when you can win it for much less. But still, I don't have this kind of patience for zooms, and the Christmas holidays are at the door.

The advantages of the Yashica ML 28-85?

- as mint, costs half than scratched Contax, and it is only slightly slower than the Contax.

- it is a highly regarded lens. Some even think it's the best ML lens made. Probably it's not, but even then, it can't be THAT much worse than the Contax

- it is reported to have excellent colour saturation and contrast. It is said to be weak on flare, but hoods exist.

- it is a rare lens. It was made in few exemplars and it's very difficult to find one on Ebay. So itěs also interesting from the collector POV or the photo samples site POV (yes Attila I'll pass over the samples Laughing )

This is the lens I bought:
Click here to see on Ebay

And these are some comments on the ML 28-85:

http://www.cdegroot.com/cgi-bin/photowiki/Yashica_28-85/3.5-4.5_ML
http://www.fhtino.it/fotografia/yashica/comments.html

As for hands-on experience, I will report when I receive the lens. It's sent by courier from italy, so it should be fast.

-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this is a nice lens I own it also. Probably you did not buy it for the 5d which is good. I find it suffers from vigneting at wide end (many zooms do). This would not be a problem on crop cam but on your full frame would be noticeable. It has the locking macro mode which can be useful although, only adds weight if you don't use it. I will be interested to see what you think of it. I am currently in the process of "trimming the fat" off my kit. The zooms will be the first (maybe the only) to go.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Yes this is a nice lens I own it also. Probably you did not buy it for the 5d which is good. I find it suffers from vigneting at wide end (many zooms do). This would not be a problem on crop cam but on your full frame would be noticeable. It has the locking macro mode which can be useful although, only adds weight if you don't use it. I will be interested to see what you think of it. I am currently in the process of "trimming the fat" off my kit. The zooms will be the first (maybe the only) to go.

Yes, I am well aware of the limitations of zoom lenses. This is why this sum is about the highest I am prepared to spend on one (unless a particular bargain shows up). I do plan to use it on both the 5D and the 400D. More probably on the 5D when I have a fast tele prime on the 400D, and on the 400D (where it becomes a 45-136) when I have a fast wide on the 5D (such as the Distagon 1.4/35 which I can't imagine not using on any street photography action). Vignetting will hopefully go or be reduced at f/5.6, where I usually take most of my shots at. And when the sun will go lower, the zoom will just end back in the bag and a fast prime will take its place Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward your samples, I am curious I had and have a couple of very good zoom lens so let see how this one perform.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio or someone who used this lens, what can you say about minimum focus distance? in tech specs of this lens it say 170cm and as for me its the main disadwantage of this lens (curerntly i use MC 28-80 and it can focus up to 45 cm min). is it possible to use macro mode for focusing to near distances up to 50 cm? or macro mode is only for real macro distances?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have Samples Pictures taken with the Yashica ML 28-85, Orio? How's the Quality compared to to the slow Contax Zeiss 28-70/3.5-4.5 Zoom, or especially the Contax Zeiss 28-85, which is also a Push Zoom Variant, with the same Focal length. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead Thread here? It's been very rare, that a lens is regarded as way good (28-85 ML) but no samples, even very few only onto the net...kinda weird....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's as good as my ML 80-200 / 4 then it will be an excellent lens, and they would make a great pair of walkabout lenses.. The 80-200 is a lovely compact lens that is easily the equal of the Vivitar Series 1 lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one for free with a Yashica FRII I put a bid on, about £9. Are you sure it is not 28-80 MC?
Nice lens.
http://cdegroot.com/photo-yashica/yashica-slr-faq-4.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomed-forever wrote:
Dead Thread here? It's been very rare, that a lens is regarded as way good (28-85 ML) but no samples, even very few only onto the net...kinda weird....

It is a superb piece of glass and mine gets more use than my Zeiss 28-85 thanks to its 1:4 macro capability. It is sharp, offers good contrast and has the same amount of distortion (very little) as its more expensive Zeiss cousin. I use mine with a Contax 67mm 1A filter and the Contax 67/86 Adapter Ring - when I'm using the lens in extreme brightness, a Contax #1 Hood is added which produces no vignetting but does help to reduce flair. When I use the 28-85 on the Fuji X-T1, I can use the slightly deeper #2 Hood - this would also apply to 4/3rds and m4/3rds cameras.

These lenses don't appear for sale very often - I suppose because once you've used it, you don't want to part with it - but if you spot one, grab it!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do own one and i could be persuaded to part with it if anybody is interested, can also put samples up if interested

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've shot another one for a bargain price into excellent condition.