Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

trioplan100/f2.8 revival
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: trioplan100/f2.8 revival Reply with quote

meyer optik gorlitz announced the revival of their mythic trioplan 100/2.8 original formulation based on a 100years old design

it s here http: [url/www.meyer-optik-goerlitz.de/en/trioplan-f28-100mm/[/url]

Meyer-Optik-Görlitz announces the comeback of f2.8/100 based on the original plans of the lens. First prototypes to be presented in summer 2015.

99 years after its first appearance in 1916, the famous TRIOPLAN lens sensationally returns to the market. Under the leadership of former engineers of the Goerlitz companies, the lens which has a great fan base has been brought back to life.

The development, based on the original calculations of Meyer Optik follows modern construction principles. Nevertheless the lens maintains its so-called ‘soap’ bokeh for which it has been famous ever since its introduction. This will be a modern design, not just a replica.

“First tests show that we have managed to keep the extraordinary charm of the lens”, confirms Dr. Stefan Immes, managing director of net SE/Globell Germany, who has been responsible for the relaunch of Meyer-Optik-Goerlitz in the autumn of 2014.

Besides the specific charm and character of the lens high quality standards of the brand apply as well. “We cannot unveil all the secrets right now but we can assure photo enthusiasts that the new TRIOPLAN will be produced with the help of German Schott glass and will be “Made in Germany”.

Historically accurate to its original design with the cooperation of former Meyer-Optik employees, make this lens a true original from Goerlitz. “It makes us especially happy, to see that such a classic can be brought back as a state-of-the art lens right here in Goerlitz. There is true motivation to follow this path further,” says Immes.

The new TRIOPLAN will be presented for the first time at the Natur Photography Forum in Fuerstenfeldbruck, Germany from May 14th to 17th and soon after also in Great Britain. The lens will be available around October 2015 – shortly before its 100th birthday. The mounts will be Canon, Nikon as well as mirrorless cameras from Fuji X and Sony NEX as well as MFT.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised no Asian maker has provided one so far.
It cant be at all difficult or expensive to make.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When if not now? I have recently seen an EXA-mount Trioplan go for more than €700,- on EBAY! Complete and utter madness!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually damn good news to me, as I have one to sell

Anway, this info is old

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see image samples from new Trioplan. It is very interesting to see if they will be able to mimic the behaveour of original lens. If not - then it will be completely useless...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why oh why copy the Trioplan? A mediocre triplet.

It's unimaginitive and shows a lack of innovation - just like all the boring bubble pics it will end up producing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why am I not impressed.... YAAAAAWNNNNNN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward for the new Trioplan. Then I will buy the old Trioplan. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
I look forward for the new Trioplan. Then I will buy the old Trioplan. Smile

Smile +1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Why oh why copy the Trioplan? A mediocre triplet.

I think the Trioplan 2.8/100 is one of the most polarizing lenses, some live it, some hate it.
I'm rather with you here, Ian. I cannot really understand what people see in this lens.
Yes, it's that special bokeh. But what if I don't like that?

I just cannot understand why some people pay more than €400,- for this lens.
If one bought it some years ago for €40,- or the like, OK, why not.
But the recent prices are just silly.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="LucisPictor"]
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Yes, it's that special bokeh. But what if I don't like that?

I guess it's price raising clearly shows that the number of those who like that bokeh is greater then the number of those who don't. And as the number of those who use manual lenses raises constantly we have what we have. I've bought mine for 250$, and I think I was lucky. Especially after I've tried it yesterday, love the results.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not their own creations, I guess.

rebranded mitakons
http://photoscala.de/Artikel/Lichtstarke-Normalobjektive-Nocturnus-09535-mm-und-09550-mm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I think the Trioplan 2.8/100 is one of the most polarizing lenses.

I think that about sums it up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trioplan is Apple of the optics scene, it's overprized, it's massively bought and it's either loved or hated often under a below average or low arguments for the lens or against

The real mystery is how it raises despite its ordinarity and big abundance - I mean I understand it more in case of Primoplan 75 as there is apparent collector's value due to general scarcity and probably lack of well-preserved pieces. Today you can easily find Trioplan 100 with all kinds of fungus and dust for the price of last year's market mint pieces, that's just wow as hell

Still, prize level you are talking about is, I believe, rather a matter of rich Western countries (rich Western photographers), hence I consider it almost impossible to sell one for €500 or so in my country, not talking about former Eastern block

Anyway, I already have two of them and none makes my current roster as they are sitting on the bench Smile I prefer Telemegor 150 instead, although it's probably just a temporary move

But don't get me wrong to be a new Trioplan hater, I simply think disliking the lens just for its price is shortsighted

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will be making the Trioplan with new glass and coatings, to get improved sharpness and contrast, but still keeping the character of the original, so it will be different really.

They're also making some other lenses as well as the trioplan. The German site now also has English page versions which went up fairly recently.

Personally, anything that gives photographers more choice can only be a good thing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
...Still, prize level you are talking about is, I believe, rather a matter of rich Western countries (rich Western photographers), hence I consider it almost impossible to sell one for €500 or so in my country, not talking about former Eastern block...

Rich Asian countries i think more correct Smile.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:

Still, prize level you are talking about is, I believe, rather a matter of rich Western countries (rich Western photographers), hence I consider it almost impossible to sell one for €500 or so in my country, not talking about former Eastern block

Well, I am from Russia (eastern block, right? Wink ) and I am not rich at all... Still, I already have three trioplans (100, 75, 50) among other MF lenses... But actually I was lucky enough to get one for free (75), one (50) for other lens which personally I did not like and THE trioplan (100) for like 250$ as I already said, why they are selling for 2-3 times more currently.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasan wrote:
not their own creations, I guess.

rebranded mitakons
http://photoscala.de/Artikel/Lichtstarke-Normalobjektive-Nocturnus-09535-mm-und-09550-mm

I don´t now a current lens with Trioplan 100 like behaviour?
Do you know one?

I hope that I could test such a new Trioplan 100.

I love the Trioplan bokeh - and I can understand the current high demand for this lens. There are cheaper alternatives - like the Diaplan/Pentacon 100mm projection lenses which I found - but they are still not that well known. And the ease of use is better with the Trioplan. And I am very sure that most photographers want good looking lenses, not like some here hot-glue and Gaffa taped lenses.

For sure many of the soap bubble bokeh pictures of flowers with dew on it are kind of boring - almost as boring as those images made mit with neutral bokeh lenses Smile
I love to have this kind of lens drawing in my toolbox, with the Trioplan, Diaplan, Pentacon AV, Nikkor 105 DC and other lenses.
Furthermore I also like the smooth background bokeh, like with the Volna 9 or apodization lenses for example.

From the images I made with the Trioplan 100 it is much more worth than my Zeiss Contax 35mm/1.4.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:

There is non, I am sure, as I've studied this matter for quite some time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowcat wrote:
ZoneV wrote:

There is non, I am sure, as I've studied this matter for quite some time.

Yes, I am pretty sure that there is not one modern lens - exept the DC Nikkor lenses. But I don´t think they rebrand the 105mm DC Nikkor with fixed Defocus Control Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trioplan critics often underrate how the lens is actually practical. It has optimal length, fast just as needed, MFD is just fine. The bokeh is complicated, but the design is easy. Can be repaired by many. Not that it would actually need often so, as the lens barely suffers problems. I've never heard of stiff or super-damaged Trioplan. Even absolute noobs can produce an interesting photos with - and they do.

Trioplan is like Kalashnikov. It is very easily built but it is very practical. If Trioplan were a gun, it would be killing children in the hands of another children somewhere in Africa. And it will not be cheap anymore unless some real drama happens on earth.

This lens has a strange power to be usable in every damn situation and comes back into my bag again and again. And it fits perfect for butterflies.

People tend to join silly talks about bubbles etc., but its bokeh is so much more. Its bokeh never fails... Of course they are other similar Meyer lenses with some small cons making them less popular or affordable. Eg. Telemegor 180 is too slow, Primotar 135 too big and Telemegor 150 - the lens I consider to be the closest Trioplans' relative from what I have holded in my hands - is just too scarce.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's such a lot of nonsense talked about the trioplan. It's a plain old triplet, there are loads of others from other makers. Not saying the Trioplan is a bad lens, but in no way is it deserving of all the over-effusive praise it gets.

Holding up all this bokeh obsession as being some sort of high art is akin to calling painting by numbers fine art.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MFD on the original old Trioplan 100 is too far for me, I use it most times with extension tube - heard that from others too.
I have reccomended them to make a longer helicoid to the new Trioplan. There is plenty of room for a longer helicoid, and it would be better in this than the old one.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
There's such a lot of nonsense talked about the trioplan. It's a plain old triplet, there are loads of others from other makers. Not saying the Trioplan is a bad lens, but in no way is it deserving of all the over-effusive praise it gets...

Not all triplets give the same bokeh! I would even say only a few give this bokeh and glow at about the same focal length.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
There's such a lot of nonsense talked about the trioplan. It's a plain old triplet, there are loads of others from other makers. Not saying the Trioplan is a bad lens, but in no way is it deserving of all the over-effusive praise it gets.

Holding up all this bokeh obsession as being some sort of high art is akin to calling painting by numbers fine art.

Ian - which version do you have - the manual preset or the later auto iris version which I think was only for the Exakta?