Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

trioplan100/f2.8 revival
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
There's such a lot of nonsense talked about the trioplan. It's a plain old triplet, there are loads of others from other makers. Not saying the Trioplan is a bad lens, but in no way is it deserving of all the over-effusive praise it gets.

Holding up all this bokeh obsession as being some sort of high art is akin to calling painting by numbers fine art.

just stop visiting the Trioplan threads and you don't have to repeat yourself all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:

Not all triplets give the same bokeh! I would even say only a few give this bokeh and glow at about the same focal length.

Yep, that's true, I think it's about the special qualities of the glass that was used by Meyer Optik. Surprisingly lots of their lenses, even if they are not triplets have that Meyerish softness and bubblish bokeh wide open...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'qualities' are due to uncorrected aberrations. I doubt that Meyer used glass any different to that being supplied to the other GDR lensmakers.

Stephen, mine was an aluminium preset with a red V coating symbol.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian - thanks for that. Mine was an auto-iris in Exakta mount and used with film it never seemed to give the sort of 'hysterical' results we see these days. I've been wondering whether the design was changed at some time late in its life.

As for 'uncorrected aberrations' I suppose we ought to remember that lens designers choose how they balance the various corrections, so the Trioplan might have been deliberately designed to give the effects it does. And thinking about optical glass, Meyer would have had a very wide range to chose from, so that they might well have used one or more types not adopted by other lens makers, perhaps to attain some particular goal in design. Given the lack of reliable archive sources, I fear we can only make 'educated guesses' about what was intended and what changes took place over the Trioplan's lifetime. Which is good in one sense, as it keeps us talking Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, uncorrected aberrations can be desirable. Portrait lenses, for example, often have controls to adjust element spacing and introduce higher or lower levels of spherical aberration.

With triplets and tessars, the distance between the front two elements can be varied in order to increase or decrease spherical aberration. If the spacing is too great, then you get more spherical aberration. It occurs to me that if Trioplans weren't manufactured to the highest QC standards, then there would be some variation in this spacing and therefore some lenses would have more SA than others, and as SA makes a diffuse soft glow, that would effect the rendering greatly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Meyer Trioplan 100 and some other lenses have over corrected spherical aberration. More correction than needed for the lens system.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Indeed, uncorrected aberrations can be desirable. Portrait lenses, for example, often have controls to adjust element spacing and introduce higher or lower levels of spherical aberration.

With triplets and tessars, the distance between the front two elements can be varied in order to increase or decrease spherical aberration. If the spacing is too great, then you get more spherical aberration. It occurs to me that if Trioplans weren't manufactured to the highest QC standards, then there would be some variation in this spacing and therefore some lenses would have more SA than others, and as SA makes a diffuse soft glow, that would effect the rendering greatly.

That's an interesting thought - I'm intrigued by the possibility that a Trioplan giving 'better' image quality might actually be one of the 'poorer' performers, depending on what the designer might have had in mind ! Given the current astronomical prices Trioplans are fetching it seems unlikely that any of us will ever be able to gather together enough samples to make any comparisons Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've been able to make a normally sharp triplet soft and glowy by unscrewing the front element a bit, this was on an old Kodak Anastigmat mounted in a shutter. This was because I introduced more SA by increasing the element spacing.

As for over correction of SA, that doesn't make any sense to me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
As for over correction of SA, that doesn't make any sense to me.

Please read yourself those documents, they explain it quite good:
http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Photography/new/pdf/en/cln_archiv/cln35_en_web_special_bokeh.pdf
http://www.bokehtests.com/styled/
http://jtra.cz/stuff/essays/bokeh/
http://toothwalker.org/optics/bokeh.html

The Trioplan 100 and its copys are a good example for a lens with over corrected spherical aberration - and because of this gives the soap buble bokeh in the background - and smooth bokeh in the foreground.
I am very sure that all normal Trioplan 100 have this, it is not sample variation.

Trust me, I am an optics-engineer Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But....

Almost ALL lenses produce this 'bubble' nonsense at some combination of subject distance and focus setting.

I'm sure I know what is causing this phenomena and I'm going to do a little experiment one day to prove or disprove it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spherical aberration depends on distance.
So a lens can be good corrected for one distance, and can be overcorrected for different distance.
Floating elements or other macro correction is at least partly for spherical aberration - this is the reason why I searched for lenses that have a seperate ring for macro focussing to get a cheap Nikon Defocus Control alternative.
Front element focussing Triplet and Tessar lenses are sometimes designed the way that they are over corrected (wideopen) for spherical aberration at infinity, and get undercorrected for near focussing.
This can be DIY used with seperate focussing helicoid, and use of the front element focussing for bokeh control.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:

Front element focussing Triplet and Tessar lenses are sometimes designed the way that they are over corrected (wideopen) for spherical aberration at infinity, and get undercorrected for near focussing.
This can be DIY used with seperate focussing helicoid, and use of the front element focussing for bokeh control.

May I ask if the chromatic aberration correction will be affected when we move the front element?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trioplan is the most overrated lens ever, period Exclamation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation.

The spacing of the front two elements of a Tessar or Triplet can indeed be varied to control SA - increase the spacing from it's designed position and you get more SA. This was a commonly known and used trick in the olden days among portrait shooters. Not everyone could afford a dedicated portrait lens so they used a general purpose lens - a triplet or tessar. Then unscrew the front element as much as it can without falling out and you have a lens with that soft, diffuse glow of too much SA that makes lovely portraits.

However, I don't think the outline ring of the 'bubble' is anything to do with aberrations, I think I know what causes it, and as it can be seen in almost all lenses, to some degree, it is most likely a simple physical property.

I'm working on a little experiment to prove/disprove my theory, if I'm right then it will be possible to make a little modification to just about any lens to get a stronger outline effect.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Trioplan is the most overrated lens ever, period Exclamation

Seems so, judging by this auction - only halfway through but already 33 bids and upto 360ukp...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meyer-Optik-Gorlitz-100mm-f2-8-Trioplan-in-Exakta-Mount/371282174730?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D8aac20d2fee24e7db03d02ed5dc94f84%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D141606556910&rt=nc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
May I ask if the chromatic aberration correction will be affected when we move the front element?

Not sure. But I suppose with the Triplet there is chromatic aberration more likely in this case.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About Trioplan 100 prices:
It gets me better images than the Zeiss Contax 35mm f/1.4 Distagon. From that I would judge a price higher than the Distagon OK. Furthermore up to today there are new 35mm/1.4 lenses with nearly the same qualitys, but no 100mm/2.8 with the same qualitys - therefore a higher price than the Zeiss Distagon would still be reasonable.
Yes, it is a simple construction, and back then cheap. But today it is a very special tool - and still only few know the cheaper ways to get such a tool.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
However, I don't think the outline ring of the 'bubble' is anything to do with aberrations, I think I know what causes it, and as it can be seen in almost all lenses, to some degree, it is most likely a simple physical property...

Reflection?
The Trioplan bokeh is different for background and foreground. The background gets the outlines, the foreground gets the smooth bokeh. I think this is hard to get with the reflection on iris or housing or such.
I think I saw here such an experiment already?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just the thing - I don't think it's a very special tool at all.

It's just a triplet, which is probably the most common lens design to be found.

I really fail to see what about the Trioplan is special - the design is hardly unique, there's no unique special glass types, what's so out of the ordinary?

What can the Trioplan do that other lenses can't? The answer has to be nothing, because it's more about technique than lens.

Here's a crop from a shot I made the other night with a lens that could hardly be more different from the Trioplan - a Computar 1.2/12mm CCTV lens on my Pentax Q7 and it has 'bubbles' - these outlines to oof highlights are to be found in most lenses in the right circumstances, in this case a street scene and the lens was focussed at close to it's mfd.

People should invest time in exploring the techniques rather than thinking they have to have this one special lens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, for me your image bokeh is far away from the Trioplan buble bokeh:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think almost any lens is valid to get bubble circles and other effects

Jupiter-3 50/1.5

Hexanon AR 50/1.7

Planar 50/1.8

Vivitar 24/2

And more...
Happy shots!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anktonio wrote:
I think almost any lens is valid to get bubble circles and other effects

Jupiter-3 50/1.5

Hexanon AR 50/1.7

Planar 50/1.8

Vivitar 24/2

And more...
Happy shots!

hello

sorry to say that these 4 photos are far away from zoneV one

even if there is nothing inside the bubble , there is still the straight ring around ,very visible ,trioplan rendition is something unique like H40 even if some lenses are similar in optic shema the rendition is not equal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMDBill wrote:

hello

sorry to say that these 4 photos are far away from zoneV one

even if there is nothing inside the bubble , there is still the straight ring around ,very visible ,trioplan rendition is something unique like H40 even if some lenses are similar in optic shema the rendition is not equal

Ok, I agree with you, I do not want to be misunderstood, I do not intend to to refute anyone. Only show some similar old examples, obtained involuntarily.

Happy shots!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm on the brink of proposing to rename the forum from "mflenses" to Trioplan bubble forum" Twisted Evil

As it seems that those Tripolan bubbles is everything paople here care about. And even more importantly,
how to get those as cheap as possible...

Lord have Mercy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hubble, bubble, toil and trouble" said Mr Wm. Shakespeare in one of his plays . . . weren't we all fascinated by blowing bubbles as kids? Seems some of us still are - even though bubbles are ephemeral. Bubbles, swirley-bokey, pin sharp images, we all pays out our own money to indulge our own preferences and can change our choices whenever we want.

Maybe we can have a sticky Bubbles Thread? (not that bubbles could ever really be sticky . . .)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe having fun with a lens and enjoying the image made,can cause so much angst. If we were all the same the forum would be boring,if we all collected the same lenses the prices would be unaffordable ( perhaps this is the case)...bring on the differences in images taken, in lenses discussed, in bubbles in smooth and sharp images. Very Happy ...oops I forgot the soft images as well.