Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Want Close-up images on the cheap - Hoya Zoom Close-Up Lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:32 am    Post subject: Want Close-up images on the cheap - Hoya Zoom Close-Up Lens Reply with quote

Couldn't be simpler.
Screws on like a filter to the front of a standard (or other) lens.
Rotating dial on the front acts as a variable close up magnifier. These were taken from a couple of inches focusing distance.

Here is the lens attachment on a 50mm Super-Takumar

OH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome results!
Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What lens were the two fist shots taken on?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroger wrote:
What lens were the two fist shots taken on?

Taken on a 50mm Super-Takumar.
It has been raining since I took those and I will try for some other images this morning.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - still raining.
Here are a couple of quick close-ups of a small trinket box lid. Close to 1:1
Once again on 50mm Super-Takumar
OH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't suppose there's any reason why an accessory screw on macro lens has to be bad. If it's made to a high optical standard and mounted on a high quality lens surely the combination should work, given that there might need to be some compatibility from the camera lens? And that would be random unless the accessory lens is designed to match a particular lens.
Interesting item Tom, and good results.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I don't suppose there's any reason why an accessory screw on macro lens has to be bad. If it's made to a high optical standard and mounted on a high quality lens surely the combination should work, given that there might need to be some compatibility from the camera lens? And that would be random unless the accessory lens is designed to match a particular lens.
Interesting item Tom, and good results.

Thanks Lloyd.
I have a macro lens so have not even looked at this closely up until now.
And this item was given to me in a box of other bits quite some time ago. I have only just tried it out - rainy days, what to do Very Happy
I have checked for these on ebay and they sell very cheaply.
Given the results, I think that it is a bargain for someone who wants to get into close-up and macro work for very little money.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are good dioptres to be had, as well as rubbish. Most 'bolt on the front' accessories are generally discounted as rubbish because they probably are rubbish, cheap and nasty junk. But is it possible to make good ones? This one you have seems to be in the 'good' category.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
But is it possible to make good ones?

Sure. Two-element achromatic diopters are very nice. Canon still makes them, Nikon stopped about 10 years ago, Minolta used to make them way back in SRT era.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget Leitz' ELPROS!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may as well make "and whatever the Germans made" my signature.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just remembered that a while back I hacked up a broken Tamron zoom and made a macro adapter to screw on the front of other lenses, and rather than hijack this topic about the Hoya I've started a topic here

http://forum.mflenses.com/home-made-macro-dioptre-t70508.html

in the 'DIY Forum'

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
Lloydy wrote:
But is it possible to make good ones?

Sure. Two-element achromatic diopters are very nice. Canon still makes them, Nikon stopped about 10 years ago, Minolta used to make them way back in SRT era.

Some examples here of results via achromatic add-on lenses :
http://forum.mflenses.com/macro-photography-with-a-zoom-plus-a-close-up-lens-t67618.html