Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How big are we?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: How big are we? Reply with quote

Quote:
We're bigger than US Steel
We're not, of course, but that quote always comes to mind. I am curious how much of the camera market we represent with our MF use. I've just learned that Sony is coming out with another mirrorless model offering IS. Someone told me that focal length will be menu delectable, but I don't know for sure. It got me wondering if we MFL folks are a big enough market segment to influence product development. Some would say we're a very tiny, eccentric bunch. Go figure.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am, personally, not quite as tiny as I need to be, but I am eccentric. So there is that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I am, personally, not quite as tiny as I need to be, but I am eccentric. So there is that.

Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I knew what IS is, ([i]am are was were been being[/i] - just covering my bases here)

OH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
I wish I knew what IS is, ([i]am are was were been being[/i] - just covering my bases here)

OH

Why, image stabilization. Smile If this thingy comes out it will be THE CAMERA I've been waiting 10 years for. Whether I can afford it or not will no doubt determine whether I will wait another 10. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax.
IS with anything.
Its lovely.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Pentax.
IS with anything.
Its lovely.

+1
Been available on Pentax bodies for yonks
Doesn't the new Sony A7II have all this 5 axis stuff?
Or is this the camera we are talking about?
OH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

I'm in the same camp as Luis. Laughing And I like the IS in my old Pentax, it works with any crappy old lens. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
luisalegria wrote:
Pentax.
IS with anything.
Its lovely.

+1
OH

Minolta and Sony have always had In Body Stabilization on all their non-mirrorless Alpha models, and lenses never required optical stabilization. Sony's mirrorless never had stabilization, so they added OIS to the E-Mount lenses, one of the things Sony would point to when anyone complained about price.

While the new 5 axis stabilization sounds cool, I quote from an article on Slashgear:

"This new feature does add a bit of bulk and heft to the camera, but Sony compensates for this by improving the shape and grip of the camera so that it remains manageable even with a telephoto lens attached."

The A7 is already large compared to the NEX series, I guess the level of excitement depends on whether you don't mind getting back to near DSLR size.

http://www.slashgear.com/sony-a7-ii-boasts-5-axis-in-body-stabilization-20356580/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
luisalegria wrote:
Pentax.
IS with anything.
Its lovely.

+1
OH

Minolta and Sony have always had In Body Stabilization on all their non-mirrorless Alpha models, and lenses never required optical stabilization. Sony's mirrorless never had stabilization, so they added OIS to the E-Mount lenses, one of the things Sony would point to when anyone complained about price.

While the new 5 axis stabilization sounds cool, I quote from an article on Slashgear:

"This new feature does add a bit of bulk and heft to the camera, but Sony compensates for this by improving the shape and grip of the camera so that it remains manageable even with a telephoto lens attached."

The A7 is already large compared to the NEX series, I guess the level of excitement depends on whether you don't mind getting back to near DSLR size.

http://www.slashgear.com/sony-a7-ii-boasts-5-axis-in-body-stabilization-20356580/

That would definitely entice me.
I find most modern cameras too small for my large hands, and IMHO a viewfinder is essential.
OH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAY, my question was about MFL usage as a segment of the camera market. Are we minuscule or significant?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to general camera use (cell phones and iphones/android things) we are miniscule.
Most people don't know what a DSLR is or what it can do.
I amaze them quite often just by taking 10-20 shots in a few seconds.

In the DSLR/semi pro/enthusiast market we are tiny. Fact is most users of such cameras use the kit lens and add-on lenses are fairly unusual. It isn't like the camera market of the early SLR days.

And compared to the AF lens add on market, again, quite tiny. Ebay is a bit misleading here as most people dont buy their lenses from ebay.

And even on ebay, search for used common AF lenses on ebay, especially for Canon, and you will get an idea of the scale difference there.

If we are 1/10,000 of the lens market I would be surprised.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definately am Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
HAY, my question was about MFL usage as a segment of the camera market. Are we minuscule or significant?

I agree with Luis.
We are insignificant in the scheme of things.
Which begs the question - to whom is the new Sony being pitched?
OH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not entirely disregarded though? The camera manufacturers could have made their cameras incapable of using old glass, but they didn't.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Luis did a good job of summing up the overall market. I should have been more specific. I guess I was thinking within the interchangeable lens camera market. It is true that many casual users of these cameras use kit lenses - definitely zooms, and rarely shoot other than auto-everything. I think many of them would be better suited in P&S, which brings up another thing: the future of P&S. Cell phones are getting pretty good for those auto-everything people and will hurt the P&S market.

All of that aside, within DSLR, SLT, mirrorless users, there is us. I suspect that what we do requires a certain personality type within the serious photographers, which supports Luis' claim for tiny numbers. Still, I have to wonder when cameras offer MF support functions and especially Sony with the new A7 II. Now with in body stabilization and, if it is true, menu selectable focal length. Is that really necessary for the traditional shooter? I'm hoping it will be a dial approach that will allow odd focal length and not just the usual lengths. What comes to mind are lenses like Tair-11 at 133mm.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, mflensers are a small group of users overall. That Sony antishake thing is very cool if you watch the video, as to who it is being marketed to, it works for everyone, especially for video. I know in the past, for NEX, Sony put stabilization in the lenses but third party lenses like Zeiss and Sigma didn't have it, so this would be appealing in that situation as well.

And if I am not mistaken, Zeiss is making mflenses in Sony mount today.

Last edited by kenetik on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how may A7's Sony has sold.

Going by how many have completed sales on ebay - @120 units on US ebay in the last month vs
@200 Canon 6D

And @500+ Canon 60D

@750+ Sony Nex

Its a fairly niche market even in the rather exotic region of ebay.
Ordinary consumers dont buy this sort of stuff on ebay, only the collectors, aficionados, thrill-seekers, confident bargain hunters and the like, just the sort of people willing to stick a 50 year old lens on a digital camera, so the sample is very skewed.

But even skewed as it is the A7 isn't all that popular.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum has ~8500 members and there are not so many other MF lenses fans forums. How many MF lenses fans do you know in your area? In my town, of ~ 400,000 inhabitants, I've only spoken with one other MF lenses fan (not a real MF fan, just an Yashica fan, but it counts) and I have never seen on the streets someone else using vintage MF lenses with a modern camera. None of the professional photographers I personally know in my area has any interest in vintage MF lenses.
How great could be the whole MF lenses fans number? 5 to 10 times bigger than the number of members here?
Then we probably are a tiny market of 50,000 to 100,000.

Oldhand wrote:
Which begs the question - to whom is the new Sony being pitched?
OH

I think they are interested mainly in their own lines of lenses without IS, both the older A mount and the new and expensive Zeiss lenses.
Our market is just a bonus.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
... and I have never seen on the streets someone else using vintage MF lenses with a modern camera.

Hmmmm, me neither. Maybe that explains all the strange looks. Maybe also why people's eyes start glassing over when I talk about it. Well, I prefer to think of us as a small community of connoisseurs. Yes, connoisseurs of fine art lenses. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
dan_ wrote:
... and I have never seen on the streets someone else using vintage MF lenses with a modern camera.

Hmmmm, me neither. Maybe that explains all the strange looks. Maybe also why people's eyes start glassing over when I talk about it. Well, I prefer to think of us as a small community of connoisseurs. Yes, connoisseurs of fine art lenses. Cool

Ditto.
Almost everyone that I meet is surprised that old MF lenses can even be used on DSLR's.
Almost none want to try the experience however.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The casual P&S user, even if they're using DSLR, won't be interested. As I said earlier, I do believe it is a certain type person/personality that does this. Someone who is intrigued by it, someone that loves to fiddle with things, solve problems, and pretty much be different. Us.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot, you know what is even more unusual? The few women that are on here. Talk about minuscule - the female that does this is a rare bird indeed. Call it sexist, I don't care, but I'm always impressed when I see a woman in here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have enjoyed photography since I was a teenager but the increasing automation of the process increasingly left me disenchanted. These days with a smart phone or a relatively cheap digital P&S, anyone can take a good picture but you need more to aspire to great pictures. Scrolling through endless menus or ceding control to the camera was divorcing me from the process. With the rediscovery of the manipulation and choice of manual lenses, I find myself reconnected to the process and seeing the world differently. I am attentive to small moments of beauty every day that might otherwise have gone unnoticed. Whether I can capture them to my satisfaction is another matter entirely. But it makes the successes more rewarding and I feel like I can move past the generic.

So I would say selective and discerning. I'm glad I found this place.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I wonder how may A7's Sony has sold.

Going by how many have completed sales on ebay - @120 units on US ebay in the last month vs
@200 Canon 6D

And @500+ Canon 60D

@750+ Sony Nex

Its a fairly niche market even in the rather exotic region of ebay.
Ordinary consumers dont buy this sort of stuff on ebay, only the collectors, aficionados, thrill-seekers, confident bargain hunters and the like, just the sort of people willing to stick a 50 year old lens on a digital camera, so the sample is very skewed.

But even skewed as it is the A7 isn't all that popular.

Sony never had a big % of the U.S. Camera market. The A7 is a very costly mirrorless camera in their lineup. It doesn’t surprise me it doesn't have big numbers on the Bay compared to Canon. Being a Sony/Minolta diehard made you part of a smaller group than Pentax diehards, something I know many here can identify with. Now you're a Sony/Mino diehard buying a full frame Mirrorless camera for 1200-1600, instead of the many who have Nex, A6000 or Alpha models. Now you're putting old Mf lenses on that A7...