Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Melissa (Distagon 2.8/35)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Melissa (Distagon 2.8/35) Reply with quote

Just a few shots taken today:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb shoots!!! I love all of them ! Eyes on first one incredible!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, luv 'em all!

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's a daring cat. What floor are you on Orio? Love the whole lot of them. Fab lens again. You must have one of the finest collections in Europe!

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Now that's a daring cat. What floor are you on Orio? Love the whole lot of them. Fab lens again. You must have one of the finest collections in Europe!

patrickh

That is for sure! I saw them Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Now that's a daring cat. What floor are you on Orio?

I'm on the second floor, Patrick. Actually, I don't know how you count them - we count ground floor aside, and first floor is elevated...

patrickh wrote:
Love the whole lot of them. Fab lens again. You must have one of the finest collections in Europe!
patrickh

Well... yes I have many good lenses, and some very good ones. But I don't have any of the really expensive ones: no Distagon 21, no Distagon 15, no Elmarit 19, no any Summilux, no Planar 55/1.2, no Planar 85/1.2, no Nikkor super teles, no Leica M system, no Leica classics... and of course no Canon L.... Wink
So, I don't think I am in the top of the list, but... who cares?? Very Happy Laughing
Wink
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely shots (and cat Smile )

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio
If one measures not in dollars but "best in class" for what you want, I would bet there are very few lenses you would trade for. Fabulous collection anyway,

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb shots! it's easy to understand who is the boss there

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio
I was worried on the first one. It looks like she has a tothpick in her back teeth. Shocked These are really great. I did not shoot this lens for some time. It is a really quality performer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Orio
If one measures not in dollars but "best in class" for what you want, I would bet there are very few lenses you would trade for. Fabulous collection anyway,
patrickh

Yes - I wouldn't mind having a Distagon 21 and a Leica M8 with lenses, however Laughing Wink

poilu wrote:
it's easy to understand who is the boss there

Laughing yes - but I force her to negotiate - if not, strikes will hit her daily meals Laughing

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Orio
I was worried on the first one. It looks like she has a tothpick in her back teeth. Shocked

yes, she's an incredible mouth contorsionist Laughing

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
These are really great. I did not shoot this lens for some time. It is a really quality performer.

Yes, I left it on the shelf too much, too. It's easy to do it when you also have the 1.4/35 Rolling Eyes but the 2.8/35 has a character of its own and mostly, it has nearly zero defects. My favourite use of it is shooting architecture. For the little price it has (AE copies like the one I used in the blindfold test are often sold for less than 100 Euros), it's really difficult to understand why so few people use it.
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a cat, it seems to be a person with a little fur.
Real personality!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
That's not a cat, it seems to be a person with a little fur.
Real personality!

Oh, but she is a person. She talks to me, and (that's the most worrying thing), I can understand her!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm... all those beautiful cat people.
The case is that I´m still looking for a good 35mm to use with my Pentax K20 and I was already decided for the Flektogon 35 f2.4, but now, after so many cats, I´m doubting a lot, (it also doesn´t help the crap result of the flek 2.8 in the kds315* comparaison thread, have to say).
Now i´m thinking about the Distagon, but don´t know if is any M42 version available or if not, any adapter to use them with my Pentax Dslr.
One important question, would Distagon bit the Flektogon in contrast/sharpness performance?
I´m thinking about to use this lens for aerial photography (focus at infinity and the aperture at 5.6 or 8 cause I use to fly in sunny days, specially if taken pictures) and I´m looking for the maximum IQ in order to do big amplifications if needed. Maybe somebody has more suggestions to think about...
Thanks in advance!
Oscar

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

photon wrote:
mmm... all those beautiful cat people.
The case is that I´m still looking for a good 35mm to use with my Pentax K20 and I was already decided for the Flektogon 35 f2.4, but now, after so many cats, I´m doubting a lot, (it also doesn´t help the crap result of the flek 2.8 in the kds315* comparaison thread, have to say).
Now i´m thinking about the Distagon, but don´t know if is any M42 version available or if not, any adapter to use them with my Pentax Dslr.
One important question, would Distagon bit the Flektogon in contrast/sharpness performance?
I´m thinking about to use this lens for aerial photography (focus at infinity and the aperture at 5.6 or 8 cause I use to fly in sunny days, specially if taken pictures) and I´m looking for the maximum IQ in order to do big amplifications if needed. Maybe somebody has more suggestions to think about...
Thanks in advance!
Oscar

Oscar, I am not a cat person so not sure if I am qualified to make comments on Flek and Dustagon 35mm lenses - these are known as cat lens. Wink
I had Flek 35/2.4 (sold it Crying or Very sad ) and just received Distagon 35/2.8. I have not fully tested Distagon but so far so good with good sharpness. Colour rendition and contrast is very similar between two but Flek has richier colour. Edge sharpness at wide open (and stopped down for that matter) the Distagon wins easily.
As I said, I have not fully tested but so far Distagon is slightly ahead.

Strange thing I have noticed was the size of JPG files the distagon produced. I tested with my 300D (6.5M) and the file size reached 6Mb Shocked
3Mb was about max. I will test raw file size.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat shots, that lens is incredible.

Jules

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esrods wrote:

Strange thing I have noticed was the size of JPG files the distagon produced. I tested with my 300D (6.5M) and the file size reached 6Mb Shocked
3Mb was about max. I will test raw file size.

So in other words, in the input image, adjacent pixels had different values. This is what you would expect of a lens whose resolving power over most of the image plane is higher than the sensor resolution. JPG compression needs to add many more terms to simulate such a crisp image, as opposed to a smoothly varying one where adjacent pixels have similar values.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often notice this, images with lots of detail and different colours, produce larger JPEGS than images with less detail and, mostly, fewer colours.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I often notice this, images with lots of detail and different colours, produce larger JPEGS than images with less detail and, mostly, fewer colours.
...and images with lots of noise produce the biggest of all.

I really enjoyed those pictures, especially the first one.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ptodd wrote:
Orio wrote:
...and images with lots of noise produce the biggest of all.

Yes - same reason. In the case of thermal noise, its quite unrelated to optics so the resolution of the noise really is that of the sensor. Noise in beyer digital cameras is also highly chromatic (for the same reason).