Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Azaleas
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Azaleas Reply with quote

Well I got the Micro-Nikkor 200/4 from Hiep yesterday and decided to try it out today.

Wide open. Had to boost exposure a little bit (as this was shot in the shade with sun completely behind the house) and resize, no other changes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
This is a beautiful composure and a solid exposure as well. I'm not sure what aperture you had going. Maybe take it down 1 to 1 1/2 stop if you have a tripod handy. It will help sharpen things up up front but leave that smooth bokeh. Killer lens I have envy. Embarassed

Andy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy. It was wide open at f/4 and handheld at 1/125 (a bit slow to be handheld). I knew I should have used a tripod, but wanted to see if I could manage (didn't work out to well Very Happy ). The original was a bit underexposed so I added a bit in post processing. I hope to get out there in the morning, when I have the sun to help me out! I expected a shallow DOF but this was my first time out with the 200mm and wanted to see what it could do. I am hoping to use this lens when photographing my fish as it will allow me to be back from the tank a bit more and the fish will act more natural.

This was taken with the Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the azalea shot, Mike! Andy's right, that is a killer lens!

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of nice color in those Azaleas. I have to get my wife to plant some of those. Very nice bokeh from that lense.

I like the black nasty.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats Michael! look a damn good lens
1/125sec for a 200mm wide open and such quality is very good
the fish is also nice & sharp for 1/60sec.
Why don't you boost the iso ?
I read that the D3 go to 64000 iso

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both photos are very beautiful

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@poilu
I am so used to shooting with my D80, where changing the ISO is very bad, that I forget to use that as an option Shocked I really need to remember to up the ISO!

@Orio
Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave it another try in morning light. I have 4 different color azalea bushes to choose from.

Micro-Nikkor 200/4 at f/5.6

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely lens and the subject matter is perfect for this lens. All those early nikkor micro lenses are fantastic

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnauzer wrote:
Lots of nice color in those Azaleas. I have to get my wife to plant some of those. Very nice bokeh from that lense.

Very nice flowers and a great pic for hand held in dim light! We tried to grow Azaleas a few years ago but they don't thrive in our alkaline soil here on the chalk hills. They like acid soil, hope that's what you've got! Smile.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice captures! Micro-Nikkor 200mm f4 a fantastic lens, you will love it I am sure. Fish shoot is superb!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots.

When finances permit I must seriously think about adding this lens to my collection - I love using the shorter micro-nikkors. With your D3 you should be able to raise the ISO with few problems - shot's I've seen suggest that it's got the lowest noise levels of any DSLR so far.

1/125 handheld is impressive with a 200mm macro - I'm lucky to get anything useable with the 105 at that speed!