Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Apple Blossom, Makro-Planar 2.8/100
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Apple Blossom, Makro-Planar 2.8/100 Reply with quote

Wide open, at dusk:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice ! So real !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful, with *amazing detail* I really don't know how it could get better
than this. And the bokeh, it has it all!

I hate you Orio, but thanks for sharing! Laughing

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Bill

Laughing
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Attila so very real looking. Nice!
I meant to ask you. The last few posts from yesterday of the 100 f2 and the flek/dist game and Mellisa on the balcony. Which camera are you shooting? I assume 5D but maybe no.

BTW: I don't hate you Laughing But you still have a chance to change my mind Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Agree with Attila so very real looking. Nice!
I meant to ask you. The last few posts from yesterday of the 100 f2 and the flek/dist game and Mellisa on the balcony. Which camera are you shooting? I assume 5D but maybe no.

All the pictures that you mention, taken with 5D Smile

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
BTW: I don't hate you Laughing But you still have a chance to change my mind Laughing

Laughing
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wide open and already top!
nice shot Orio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

Bill

Very Happy Yeah !! Me too Orio... !!!
I know i can never get this lense... !! So please keep shooting with it !!
How about some insects too, have not yet seen them from you since i joined !!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dakoo wrote:

Very Happy Yeah !! Me too Orio... !!!
I know i can never get this lense... !!

It's not THAT expensive, you know? Prices average around 350-400 Euros. If you can save 100 Euros for 4 months you can get one.

Quote:
So please keep shooting with it !!

I certainly will! Very Happy

dakoo wrote:
How about some insects too, have not yet seen them from you since i joined !!

Sorry, but insects give me the creeps! Laughing
I'm not that much into macro either. I have 2-3 macro lenses, one 50mm (the Volna-9), one 60mm (the Canon EF-S) and this Makro-Planar 100. I use these lenses mostly for work - all the leaf flowers bark pictures you see from me, come from work sessions - for my work I use deep DOF, every now and then I take a couple of wide open pictures like this one, for my private pleasure Smile
Another reason I have macro lenses it's because they are amongst the best corrected ones for distortions. The Contax Makro-Planar 100, for instance, has a distortion value that is virtually zero. This means that whatever you see, the lens reproduces without altering the lines, perspective, and proportions. I value this quality very much, not for a nerd attitude, but because I have found, after years of analyzing photographs, that those photographs that are able to offer a pure representation of geometrical lines, are able, with something that may also sound like a contradiction, to offer a more poetic view of the reality, than lenses that distort lines and proportions. When, in a landscape, a photograph can reveal something of the vision that the painters like Leonardo and Paolo Ucccello were first able to see, when they entered the perspective in the conception of the landscape painting, you are also able to see something "more" in the photography, than the simple reality. This because it is my belief and opinion (a very suffered opinion which I matured over years), that the purer the photography, the truer it becomes, and the more it can give back emotions that are deep and not superficial.
This is also why I stay away, today (after having made large use in the past), from artificial effects in my photography: I have discovered that, for me (I speak for myself, don't pretend to make any absolute statement), like I said, for me, special effects in photography take away more than what they bring in: the balance is negative (for me).
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I am also freaked out by insects. I pass on those posts when possible. Probably some kind of infantile psychological thing, who knows. Confused

Exquisite rendering with the Makro Planar 100/2.8. I could look at shots from you with this lens all day, Orio!

Question for you, Orio: I had borrowed a Makro Planar 120/4 for the Rollei 6006. It created some outstanding images with the same "straight lines" that you have talked about. Although this is not the same focal length as your 100, they are both Planars (correct?). I am wondering if they are close enough alike that the results would possibly be similar?

I know that I would have to use the Makro Planar 120 more, and then compare, of course, in order to see any similarities or differences. But I was wondering if you had any firsthand or secondhand experience with both?

Keep them coming, PLEASE!

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
First of all, I am also freaked out by insects. I pass on those posts when possible. Probably some kind of infantile psychological thing, who knows. Confused
Exquisite rendering with the Makro Planar 100/2.8. I could look at shots from you with this lens all day, Orio!
Question for you, Orio: I had borrowed a Makro Planar 120/4 for the Rollei 6006. It created some outstanding images with the same "straight lines" that you have talked about. Although this is not the same focal length as your 100, they are both Planars (correct?). I am wondering if they are close enough alike that the results would possibly be similar?
I know that I would have to use the Makro Planar 120 more, and then compare, of course, in order to see any similarities or differences. But I was wondering if you had any firsthand or secondhand experience with both?
Keep them coming, PLEASE!
Larry

I wish I could use the Makro-Planar 120/4, Larry, like the other Rollei MF lenses, especially the Sonnar 150 which is one of my dream lenses. Unfortunately, I don't have any compatible cameras, and adapters don't exist (that I am aware of) to mount medium format Rollei lenses on EOS - there is a Rollei to EOS adapter, but it's for Rollei SL lenses (135 format).
As for your Makro-Planar, it is certainly a very close relative to the Contax lens - the optical design is sure to be identical or almost, only the size is probably going to be different, because the medium format lenses need to produce a much larger image cone than 135 lenses. Therefore, I think that also the optical qualities of the two lenses should be similar. Unfortunately, zeiss.de does not seem to have the PDFs for the Rollei lenses available online, so we can not compare the MTFs with those of the Contax lens.
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio

That is truly one of the all time great lenses and your picture really plays to its strength. I think the absence of distortion makes it "easier" to show what you "see", but other lenses require more effort to use their distortions to advantage and in the service of what your eye is seeing. This lens also has that indefinable but definite 3D impact - not quite sure of what all the ingredients are for this, but OOF rendition is certainly part of it.

There are actually pentacon6 to EOS adapters and I believe I have seen Pentax 645 adapters as well. The nikon can offer Hassie to nikon adapters as well as those two, but the only review I saw of pictures taken with hassie lenses on the nikon was not very favourable.

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Very nice ! So real !

I am very happy of this compliment. When I took this photo I did not intend to make a painterly photo (a genre which I also appreciate and make, with the Helios-40 for instance).

In this case, I was looking for a photo that could give back the rusticity. For me, the apple tree flowers recall my early youth, when I and my cousin used to go play in the property of a farmer, and he used to let us ride his cow, and go around amongst the fruit trees cultivated field.

So I wanted a photo that did not hide or masque the defect of the flower or the dust on the leaf. I wanted it to be like a diary entry - real, that you could "smell" a scent from, and at the same time, gentle, like a memory. If you think about your memories, I think that most of you will agree, that memories are not showy (except those of traumatic events), they are discreet. At the same time, they are not blurry like a dream, they are -usually- very precise, not in the whole but in the few things that captured our attention forever.

ok too much talk now Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Orio
That is truly one of the all time great lenses and your picture really plays to its strength. I think the absence of distortion makes it "easier" to show what you "see", but other lenses require more effort to use their distortions to advantage and in the service of what your eye is seeing. patrickh

I agree and there is definitely a use for some type of lens distortions like the fisheye. I appreciate these much also. For instance I am a big fan of Orson Welles movies and he shoot most of his movies, and Citizen Kane in particular, with a 18mm lens constantly mounted on the camera.

I feel that, however, today, there is a wide "wave" of people using photographs to distort everything, is a search for expression, or more superficially, just to "shock the viewer" (shock the monkey?)

Being a bit of an anti-comformist at heart, probably by reaction, I tend to do things differently by preconception from the majority. Since the majority today shoots in a exaggerated, expressionistic style, I tend to gravitate around classicism instead.
Maybe if I was in the 50s now, with the realism being the most popular movement, by reaction I would have become more expressionist! Laughing

Quote:
This lens also has that indefinable but definite 3D impact - not quite sure of what all the ingredients are for this, but OOF rendition is certainly part of it.

Yes, and it's sort of strange, because usually the 3D impact does not happen much at wide open. But it is a "fingerprint" of Zeiss lenses, so it happens also when, like in this case, it was not wanted, or at least, not researched.

Quote:
There are actually pentacon6 to EOS adapters and I believe I have seen Pentax 645 adapters as well. The nikon can offer Hassie to nikon adapters as well as those two, but the only review I saw of pictures taken with hassie lenses on the nikon was not very favourable.

I know of the Hassie to EOS adapters, but Zeiss lenses for Hasselblad are VERY expensive and also sometimes they don't have a control for aperture. I never saw Pentax 645 to Eos adapters. I have and use much my Pentacon 6 to EOS adapter, for important lenses like the Jena Sonnar 180 or the Mir 65mm. I am actually intentioned to buy a second one.

thanks for the kind words Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

It's not THAT expensive, you know? Prices average around 350-400 Euros. If you can save 100 Euros for 4 months you can get one.

Yeah i know, but the amount of buying i still have to do.. makes it harder
Orio wrote:
Quote:
So please keep shooting with it !!

I certainly will! Very Happy

I meant with same frequency as last 3 days Very Happy

Orio wrote:

Sorry, but insects give me the creeps! Laughing

Good to know, me too !! But there is a hidden gain there, when u r close to them with a macro, u don't dare to move, gives u still hands u know. Also most insect only go away if the photographer moves too much... Wink
Now i can get very close to most dragonflies...

Orio wrote:

Another reason I have macro lenses it's because they are amongst the best corrected ones for distortions. The Contax Makro-Planar 100, for instance, has a distortion value that is virtually zero.

hmmnn ... Idea

Orio wrote:
I have found, after years of analyzing photographs, that those photographs that are able to offer a pure representation of geometrical lines, are able, with something that may also sound like a contradiction, to offer a more poetic view of the reality, than lenses that distort lines and proportions.
That the purer the photography, the truer it becomes, and the more it can give back emotions that are deep and not superficial. This is also why I stay away, today, from artificial effects in my photography:

The purer style is what i digg most about your style, and have spend too much time seeing your photographs again & again.. Infact i do it every day, because it seems to have the ever lasting value.. It doesn't happen these day where there is a bombardment of images on your mind, if ever you get a chance to view a film shot by Santosh sivan, you will sure love them for their purity.
The fact that the flower & leaf shots look as beautiful as in real life, has got me hooked to these lenses. The carnival images are still fresh in my mind. Smile

Quote:

This is also why I stay away, today (after having made large use in the past), from artificial effects in my photography, like I said, for me, special effects in photography take away more than what they bring in: the balance is negative (for me).
-
I can almost claim, that i stand at a point where i can do most tricks in PS book[ok so maybe a tad arogantly], to achieve & match photoshop postwork done in photography.
Its that purity in photos that i am looking for, which i find in your work. And these lenses. I know i don't own much, and i have to be patient & wait for my lenses as i have to wait for a tiger(wild animals) in forest (for hours & at time days) Or at a location for that sunset, i am willing to do. For while waiting & observing you learn more.
But its talks like these from you that really look forward to. (After that lesson in creating 3D effect in photo Smile ) ..
BTW this purity is also something that i look for in compositions and one artist in particular has always been very inspiring, Carlos Escobar I wish he had one of those ziess planers in his hand. Most of his work is on point & shoot. But for 64 year old, his roots are very ansel adams Smile
You might like them for the strong & simple compositions.

Orio wrote:

When, in a landscape, a photograph can reveal something of the vision that the painters like Leonardo and Paolo Ucccello were first able to see, when they entered the perspective in the conception of the landscape painting, you are also able to see something "more" in the photography, than the simple reality.

Would love to know more about this landscape point of view, infact also about if moving to medium/large format with truer wide angles & lesser distortions[ i can hear the $$$$ meter running Very Happy ] affects it.. In how big a way ?

Finally one more thought i haven't heard anyone take about is the Prints. How many of you are satisfied with the prints that you produce. Specially from the digital equipment, where colors from lense need not neccesarily make it to the paper. Inspite of using film at times..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love Apple Blossoms Orio....Here's a link to one of mine on mt Flickr account....Seems we think alike (maybe we have the same apple tree)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/531004783/in/set-72157594388593116/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purity = Orio's imagery.

I was always searching for a word, and you guys nailed it. The purity of Orio's style comes through again and again. And yes, I too still look at the carnival images for inspiration and I admire them greatly. Now, with this "new" genre, vis a vis the macro imagery, there is a whole other type of shot to show the purity.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamin Scott wrote:
Love Apple Blossoms Orio....Here's a link to one of mine on mt Flickr account....Seems we think alike (maybe we have the same apple tree)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/531004783/in/set-72157594388593116/

Beautiful photo, Scott!
Got to love the common domestic apple trees. Mine is old but still holding on. Their beauty is unpretentious and silent. They don't shout like more showy plants that want to grab your attention. I will plant a second one next year.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Purity = Orio's imagery.
I was always searching for a word, and you guys nailed it. The purity of Orio's style comes through again and again. And yes, I too still look at the carnival images for inspiration and I admire them greatly. Now, with this "new" genre, vis a vis the macro imagery, there is a whole other type of shot to show the purity.

Thanks Larry. Yes this is something I strongly try to achieve and I am happy that you noted it about the carnival photos too, because they were taken in the same spirit. I don't always succeed, but in my defense, it is not as easy as it first may seem. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely subtelty.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not tired yet, I have another one, made today. Also Makro-Planar on 5D, also wide open:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Another beautiful picture!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this one is even better!
nice to have a macro so good from wide open

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb. Even the break in the branch showing the new wood is full of detail; although it's not really within the sharpest plane of focus! If anything, I like this one better because of the "filled" composition. I'm not sure how you do it all, but I do know what I like.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I very much like this one, too, and Orio, we aren't going to get tired
of this kind of oppression! Laughing White flowers I've found to be quite
difficult to take without getting blown highlights. There seems to be about
0.00 room for error in lighting and still have all the detail, like in this
shot. Superb comp!

Bill