Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 135mm f2.5 Adaptall 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Tamron 135mm f2.5 Adaptall 2 Reply with quote

very nice lens! I was very surprised by IQ wide open and great sharpness. Best of all, I got it for free Smile All I bought was adapter for canon EF (I had FD version) Here are some samples.

oh, and yes, those are again with sony nex 5N with speedbooster Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots. The last one of the pretty girl in particular. I assume it was a candid shot and if so well timed!

Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedbooster eh? Well judging from your shots it doesn't appear to take anything from the lens' IQ, nice shots. Smile

Last edited by SonicScot on Wed May 15, 2013 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and another good 135mm lens....which reminds me of a test done here comparing 135mms (which I can't find) and have always remembered what the tester said and it was something like:- "There are plenty of good 135mm lenses, but very few exceptional ones"

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes great samples

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice examples! Glad to see you enjoying these nice lenses!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice presented Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parabellumfoto wrote:
Very nice shots. The last one of the pretty girl in particular. I assume it was a candid shot and if so well timed!

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, and yes, it was a candid shot Smile

I've just tried another Tamron (also free Wink) 70-210mm - results in another post below main reply (http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-sp-52a-70-210mm-t57897.html). But 135mm is far beter and more pleasent to use! If I have time, I'll add some more samples.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All three shots are great. Fine colors indeed. Looking forward for more!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures, phoeniks!

Excalibur wrote:
"There are plenty of good 135mm lenses, but very few exceptional ones"

The Tamron 135/2.5 is part of the exceptional ones IMHO. Of course, the lens might not be outstandingly sharp across the whole field wide open, and it might also exhibit a bit of chromatic aberrations under certain circumstances. But it displays a very nice mix of qualities rarely seen on a lens at this price point.

First of all, there are not so many affordable 135mm lenses with an aperture of F/2.5 (have you checked the price for a Voigtländer 125/2.5 recently?). Then, image quality is certainly good enough for a portrait when used wide open, with truly great bokeh (see the nice cat portrait above). Stopped down a bit, it is plenty sharp and will deliver superb landscapes with lots of details. Furthermore, the lens is very compact for a fast 135 (length is only 79.5mm) and it focuses right down to 1.2m, which is great for a compact telephoto lens. Lastly, it features a built-in collapsible lens shade (so handy!), a feature too often left aside by lens makers.

Just add some extensions tubes (or a Raynox dcr-250), and you have a great macro lens. And don't forget that, since it's an Adaptall lens, you can use it with almost any camera on earth (you can even enjoy automatic aperture, focus confirmation and image stabilization if you have a Pentax body)!

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
Great pictures, phoeniks!

Excalibur wrote:
"There are plenty of good 135mm lenses, but very few exceptional ones"

The Tamron 135/2.5 is part of the exceptional ones IMHO. Of course, the lens might not be outstandingly sharp across the whole field wide open, and it might also exhibit a bit of chromatic aberrations under certain circumstances. But it displays a very nice mix of qualities rarely seen on a lens at this price point.

First of all, there are not so many affordable 135mm lenses with an aperture of F/2.5 (have you checked the price for a Voigtländer 125/2.5 recently?). Then, image quality is certainly good enough for a portrait when used wide open, with truly great bokeh (see the nice cat portrait above). Stopped down a bit, it is plenty sharp and will deliver superb landscapes with lots of details. Furthermore, the lens is very compact for a fast 135 (length is only 79.5mm) and it focuses right down to 1.2m, which is great for a compact telephoto lens. Lastly, it features a built-in collapsible lens shade (so handy!), a feature too often left aside by lens makers.

Just add some extensions tubes (or a Raynox dcr-250), and you have a great macro lens. And don't forget that, since it's an Adaptall lens, you can use it with almost any camera on earth (you can even enjoy automatic aperture, focus confirmation and image stabilization if you have a Pentax body)!

Cheers!

Abbazz

yeah, but if your using a Pentax body, it cant compare to the TRULY exceptional 6 element SMC Pentax K 135mm F2.5 which would be comparable but superior in several ways. Its that good.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen one for a while. Your results look pretty good.

I think I'll see if there are any going cheap...

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kendo1 wrote:
I've not seen one for a while. Your results look pretty good.

I think I'll see if there are any going cheap...

There might be rush of interest in this Tamron. Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are excellent images. Is this the Close Focus model?

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phoeniks wrote:
parabellumfoto wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, and yes, it was a candid shot Smile

I've just tried another Tamron (also free Wink) 70-210mm - results in another post below main reply (http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-sp-52a-70-210mm-t57897.html). But 135mm is far beter and more pleasent to use! If I have time, I'll add some more samples.

I keep looking at that photo. Amazing shot.

You should enter it into a contest. Absolutely stunning shot. Well timed and in my opinion it's a contest winner!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

****First of all, there are not so many affordable 135mm lenses with an aperture of F/2.5 ***

Well you could be right, but is there that much difference between f2.5 and f2.8 and it's possible the true aperture could be f2.6 Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
****First of all, there are not so many affordable 135mm lenses with an aperture of F/2.5 ***

Well you could be right, but is there that much difference between f2.5 and f2.8 and it's possible the true aperture could be f2.6 Wink

I am not too knowledgeable as to recent market prices on lenses. I think the Canon FD 135 2.5 S.C. should be around the same price as this Tamron 135 2.5? And I remember there's a soligor 135 2.5 as well, but guess it would be inferior in sharpness and optical quality to this Tamron hence it would be cheaper.

How about the Vivitar 135/2.3 compared to this Tamron 135/2.5? I think in terms of price the Vivitar should be a bit more expensive than the Tamron on average but there's always outliers...

Anyways superb photos indeed! The speedbooster is releasing the full potential of the lens. I still haven't figure out the 135 (202.5) focal length on an apsc yet, good for flower and animals but is in my mind competing with other focal lengths that are also good such as 85 and 90mm. And it seems too long for portraits most of the time. Mostly close up head shots and if you want upper body you'll need to walk further away. Much to learn indeed Laughing .

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Those are excellent images. Is this the Close Focus model?

Yes, close focus model

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of these Tamron AD2 135/2.5 lenses and also found it to be surprisingly good. It was basically as good as my S-M-C Takumar 135/2.5 (the first version)--I never did any formal head to head tests, but in general shooting they seemed pretty close. The advantage to the Tamron is the close focus (although at close focus, mine needed to be stopped down to f5.6 before becoming good); the advantage to the Takumar was build quality (and SMC). In the end I kept the Takumar but still have quite a soft spot for the Tamron. I did take the Tamron apart to clean, and of note was that the third element was entirely a friction fit, so one good drop could easily alter its spacing or orientation slightly and so degrade IQ (so if you have a bad copy, it's worth checking).

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more samples, all wide open.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

+1 Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inner shoots shows weakness of inexpensive lens like this Tammy, better coating on Carl Zeiss, Leica give much more clarity on inner pictures.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phoeniks wrote:
more samples, all wide open.

I particularly liked #3(singer) and #4(glass pouring). Excellent results!

PS: #6 is very nice too.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singer result is very good indeed, I think due nice light on his face.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% crop from singer photo (bright sun light ISO100):

pictures from the night are ISO3200, so some noise/noise reduction might have changed them a little.