Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First time scanning
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: First time scanning Reply with quote

First off remember these are not ment to be anything special, just clicking away to use up the old film.

Maxwell, my best buddy Schnauzer, and I take a walk just after daylight on a logging road behind my home every morning. We often see deer, moose, turkeys, coyotes and once in a great while bear.

I wanted to use up some very old film so we took the AE 1 with the FD 50mm f/1.8 with us this time.

This is my first time ever with a scanner so be kind.

Not a very good picture of Maxwell. He really is a very good looking dog when he isn't out running around in the woods and brush.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, congrats, you got it running! What dpi did you use? Looks like Maxwell
did some snorkeling somewhere! Laughing

Did you use USM in the scan?

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Ron
The anti-noise made awful artifacts, try to control it in manual.
Better little grain than this non natural effects.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu is right about the artifacts.
They might be because of antinoise or because of sharpening after antinoise.
My suggestion is: start clean, i.e. with all options unchecked, make a first scan this way, then try adding the other features one at a time until you learn the right quantities for each.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Ron, congrats, you got it running! What dpi did you use? Looks like Maxwell
did some snorkeling somewhere! Laughing

Did you use USM in the scan?

Bill

Thanks Bill.
I have no idea about anything I started it in auto before I noticed the manual. I'll play with it tonight if my wife doesn't have to many projects planned for all my time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poilu and Orio.
I have to dig deeper into this tonight to learn how to use it. I went auto on this. I would have used manual if I had noticed it before I started.

I'll get it eventually.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, auto is OK when scanning prints, but you will want to go manual with
film negs/positives. Orio has a good idea, try everything off for options and
do just the straight unembellished scan first, before adding to it. It will take
some experimenting for the right mix. I would use Noise Ninja sparingly
until you upload a custom profile for the 2450.

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,
You are a braver man than me!
I intend to play around with my scanner a long time before I start posting photos Laughing

So far all i have scanned are some old prints of one of my cars as it was being put together, full auto of course.

I am jealous though, I would like to be able to take that walk every morning with my camera. Lots of wildlife to capture.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maddog10 wrote:
Ron,
You are a braver man than me!
I intend to play around with my scanner a long time before I start posting photos Laughing

So far all i have scanned are some old prints of one of my cars as it was being put together, full auto of course.

I am jealous though, I would like to be able to take that walk every morning with my camera. Lots of wildlife to capture.

Well Mike you notice I posted pictures that no one in their right mind could think I'm proud of. I just snapped away at anything to see if the film was good.

If I don't post pictures I'll never learn or it will take a whole lot longer.
In a couple of weeks when I get the Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm f/2.4 MC M42 I'm getting from Attila I'll put it on the EOS 3 and see what I can get. If I can learn the scanner now I'll be ahead of the game.
I could just put it on the 40D and know what I'm doing but would really like to play with film again.

We only saw a turkey today but see deer real often, moose come and go, You might see them for a week then not again for three months or more, coyotes you never know and bear you only see just before dark if at all.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wELL i WASN'T GOING TO PLAY WITH THE SCANNER ANY MORE UNTIL i GOT MY NEW LENSE FROM aTTILA AND USE THE eos 3. Sorry I had the caps lock on. Since I haven't been using film in years, what would you recommend for film? Velvia? A lot of my shots like this one are just after it comes daylight.

I can't stay from the scanner so I ran another crap photo through with manual settings.

Is this an improvement?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big improvement from the first ones posted! Nice reflection in the puddle!

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it looks better than the previous ones. I should see a crop from a larger size though. It's pretty difficult to evaluate a scan at these web sizes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill.

Quote:
Yes it looks better than the previous ones. I should see a crop from a larger size though. It's pretty difficult to evaluate a scan at these web sizes.

I should have thought of that. I scan again and see what I get with a big crop.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to show a nice sunny picture with blue sky , more easier to judge on scan quality.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Try to show a nice sunny picture with blue sky , more easier to judge on scan quality.

Thanks Attila. I don't have any to scan yet, just these that I took on an early morning walk just to use up some old film. It was just after daylight.

I don't have any M/F lenses yet to put on the EOS 3 or I would go take some more.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will send out your lens tomorrow morning ... and I look forward many nice pictures from you Smile Thank you again your purchase!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila. That wasn't ment to hurry you. I have all kinds of time. The older I get the less of a hurry I'm in.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I always try to ship out lenses within two days I know how people respect fast shipping I hope USA customs will not sitting on it.