Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spiratone 200 4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Spiratone 200 4.5 Reply with quote

This is the part where I usually go "Luis?" Just kidding, this whole community is full of lens knowledge, so maybe someone can tell me who manufactured this lens I picked up today. It's a preset. It has a native T Mount but came with a Minolta SR Adapter on it. It has a tripod collar and 16 blades.

The only reference I saw to this lens was on an older thread authored by Screamin Scott where some options were put out there:

http://forum.mflenses.com/spiratone-200mm-lenses-anyone-have-one-t17887,highlight,%2Bspiratone+%2B200mm.html

Pics of the lens below, excuse the quality, was in a bit of a rush...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanyo, almost certainly.
Copied Tokina, in general concept but not identical.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a quick shot with the lens on the A7. Stopped down to F8, but a bit overexposed. It seems like a pretty nice lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Sanyo, almost certainly.
Copied Tokina, in general concept but not identical.

Thanks Luis. You have an encyclopedic knowledge of Japanese 35mm lenses and lensmakers. I'm guessing auto-correct kicked in and changed Sankyo to Sanyo on your phone...

Ah, and I found another thread with an exact replica of this lens with Sankor branding...

http://forum.mflenses.com/sankor-4-5-200-t63803.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like those eccentric tripod rings, a simple, elegant, idea. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is spiratone a good brand ? are they known for producing high end lenses or not ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiratone was an importer and mail order dealer. They made nothing.
Fred Spira also owned the Accura brand, BTW, which he used for stuff he sold through regular distribution channels. Can't be seen competing with your own dealers !
So quite a range of lenses have Spiratone branding. Most are decent but not spectacular.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I like those eccentric tripod rings, a simple, elegant, idea. Cool

Definitely the most comfortable to hand-hold.
Got that sort of tripod-mounting on my Soligor 350mm f5.6 (Komine), Prinz Galaxy 400mm f6.3, and Hanimex 300mm f5.5.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the Star Wars Pancolar! I must buy these, just for fun! Very Happy