Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Enlarger lenses at infinity
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Enlarger lenses at infinity Reply with quote

I've read so many conflicting opinions of how well enlarger lenses work as taking lenses at infinity.

So, does anyone have any image samples using enlarger lenses to shoot distant subjects?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, there is no single answer to your question. Not all enlarging lenses are alike. It is possible to generalize about them without testing them all, but not safe.

Possibly of interest, Schneider and Rodenstock enlarging lenses made for making gigantic prints should be at least ok at infinity, but they typically cost more than the comparable Symmar-S or Sironar-N.

FWIW, some manufacturers made enlarging and taking lenses to the same prescription. My pet example is Boyer's Zircon taking lenses (better than the plasmat type Symmar, possibly not quite up to Symmar-S) and Saphir BX enlarging lenses are identical. I've got good results at distance with my 105/5.6 and 150/5.6 Saphir BX. Good luck finding them, and by the way they go in #1 shutters.

My Saphir BXs are the only enlarging lenses I've tried that were any good at distance.

All that said, your best bet for finding enlarging lenses that are good at distance is to look for Schneider Symmars and Xenars in barrel offered as enlarging lenses. They're taking lenses, no matter what their ignorant sellers say, but you'll need shutters for them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look VNEX topic you can see there enlarger lenses at infinity.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few enlarger lenses to play with, I shot this with a Componon-S 5.6/100 on bellows on a 35mm SLR a few days ago, seems sharp enough to me, which got me thinking about the use of an enlarger lens for a larger format. I have a Componon 5.6/80 that the cells just unscrew from, but the only spare shutter of the right size I have is a Vario that has a deep fixed shim inserted into which the middle element of the triplet it formerly housed was held by a retaining ring. Before I bothered finding another shutter these cells will fit, I wondered what results people had had with enlarger lenses at infinty.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried some triplets, some tessars and a helioplan for infinity on my NEX 5N. Most lens has acceptable sharpness one stop down and most of them are quiet sharp at F5.6 to F8. I have no planar type enlarger but I think all of them will also behave the same although all of them are optimised for close focus.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be shooting them at f11-f16 so i would think they would be fine at distance at those apertures.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My general experience is the more elements - the more tolerance towards different magnfication.
Rodagons/Componons are working better than Rogonars/ Trinars and so on.
And wide angle and 50mm enlarger lenses are worse than 80-150mm enlarger lenses for macros because they are made for higher magnifications - maybe they work better for infinity instead.

PS: G-Claron lenses are an example of very awful IQ at infinity in my experience - they need to be stopped down past F22 for infinity
Because they are made for large format repros and small enlargements so they only work nice for up to a few meters.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like a WA Componon 60mm but I see very few of them for sale.

Process lenses are usually pretty good at infinity, aren't the G-Clarons process lenses?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I'd like a WA Componon 60mm but I see very few of them for sale.

Process lenses are usually pretty good at infinity, aren't the G-Clarons process lenses?

Process lenses are large format enlarger lenses, correct?
G-Clarons are made for let's say 3:1 to 1:3 reproductions and small magnifications as far as I know - so they are basically large format repro lenses

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Process lenses were camera lenses, they reproduced a large original, such as a newspaper layout to a usually same size negative. One example is the Apo-Tessar 9/240.

The three process lenses I tried were all apochromatic and very high resolution, what I read was that they were optimised for 1:1-1:10 but were still very impressive at infinity.

G-Glarons come in barrel but the cells screw into a shutter, many large format guys have put a G-Claron in a shutter to use as a camera lens.

Without using one myself, I can't say how good they are as a taking lens, with large format you usually aren't enlarging much and usually making contrast prints, which is much less demanding than a smaller format so while the G-Clarons might be adequate for large format use, they might not be good enough for smaller formats.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
My general experience is the more elements - the more tolerance towards different magnfication.
And wide angle and 50mm enlarger lenses are worse than 80-150mm enlarger lenses for macros because they are made for higher magnifications - maybe they work better for infinity instead.

PS: G-Claron lenses are an example of very awful IQ at infinity in my experience - they need to be stopped down past F22 for infinity
Because they are made for large format repros and small enlargements so they only work nice for up to a few meters.

Am I reading this right?

A 28mm or 50mm enlarger is WORSE for macro???

What is ideal?

I would have thought the wider the better?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

28mm is too short, it would only work for high magnifications due to the short flange focal distance, also, it would have a very short working distance to the object.

75mm is the shortest I would try, 50mm may be okay at a pinch, but would still have the same issues as the 28mm, just not as severe.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a Wilon Wetzlar 105 / 4.5 and a LZOS / Industar 50 / 3.5 on bellows with some success, the 50 isn't brilliant and is difficult to nail focus with, the 105 isn't bad though. But that's only for macro. I'll try them at infinity though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my sample at infinity with Rodagon 50/2,8

please check my post before;
http://forum.mflenses.com/rodenstock-rodagon-50-2-8-t52198,highlight,%2Brodagon.html
and
http://forum.mflenses.com/rodenstcok-rodagon-50-2-8-t52494,highlight,%2Brodagon.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinybynature wrote:
ForenSeil wrote:

Am I reading this right?

What is ideal?

Thanks

28-50mm enlarger lenses are made for half frame or 35mm film and are optimized to enlarge them to standard print sizes like - so lets say 1:4 - 1:15 for 35mm
80-135mm enlarger lenses were made for larger negatives but also for the same print sizes - so they are also corrected up to lets say 1:2

So yes longer enlarger lenses are better for macro work at around 1:2

I compared Rodagon 50/2.8, 80/5.6 and 105/5.6 at 1:1,5 and the 50mm was the softest while the 105 mm was the best.

At 1:15 the 50mm Rodagon might win.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinybynature wrote:
ForenSeil wrote:

Am I reading this right?

What is ideal?

Thanks

28-50mm enlarger lenses are made for half frame or 35mm film and are optimized to enlarge them to standard print sizes like - so lets say 1:4 - 1:15 for 35mm
80-135mm enlarger lenses were made for larger negatives but also for the same print sizes - so they are also corrected up to lets say 1:2

So yes longer enlarger lenses are better for macro work at around 1:2

I compared Rodagon 50/2.8, 80/5.6 and 105/5.6 at 1:1,5 and the 50mm was the softest while the 105 mm was the best.

At 1:15 the 50mm Rodagon might win.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forenseil, I think you are making things up.

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/archiv/pdf/componon_comparon.pdf (9/66)

Quote:
Die Serie der COMPONON-Objektive ist auf die Bereiche um 10 fache Vergrößerungen
und mehr korrigiert. - Hier gibt ein COMPONON im Fach-Vergrößerer die feinsten Negativ-Details korrekt wieder.

Die Objektive der COMPARON-Serie hingegen erreichen die gleiche optische
Leistung in der 2-6fachen und optimal bei 4facher Vergrößerung, wie sie in
der Praxis am häufigsten vorkommt.

Selbstverständlich können mit beiden Objektiv-Typen - besonders bei schwacher Abblendung — diese Maximalbereiche weitgehend überschritten werden. Man wird dabei kaum einen Unterschied feststellen, ob nun mit dem COMPONON 2- oder 6fach bzw. mit dem COMPARON 8- oder 12fach vergrößert wurde

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried my Componon-S 5.6/100 on bellows with my NEX-3 today. Light was crappy but the lens seems to perform rather well as a taking lens. This was at f8 and I have no complaints about the sharpness, contrast seems fine too, considering the bad light. No CA either, but I'll reserve judgment on that until I see results of bright highlights in direct sunlight.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few enlarger lenses are optimized for big enlarging ratios, and these lenses do well at infinity. Look at the specs for the lens and if it's rated up to 1:15 or 1:20 then it will do well. This is often the case for shorter lenses, so there is a correlation of short lens to high magnification, but there are also plenty of longer lenses that are made for higher mag work and thus should work well at infinity. Avoid lenses optimized around 1:1 including anything considered for process, duplication, reproduction, etc work. These will generally be optimized from 1:2 to 2:1 and don't do as well at infinity...Ray

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Parkhurst wrote:
Avoid lenses optimized around 1:1 including anything considered for process, duplication, reproduction, etc work. These will generally be optimized from 1:2 to 2:1 and don't do as well at infinity...Ray

Ray, it really depends on the lens. Large format photographers happily use Apo-Artars, dialyte type Apo-Nikkors, Apo-Ronars, Apo-Saphirs and G-Clarons at all distances, also some tessar type process lenses. Ancient Rodenstock propaganda touted Apo-Ronars as superior to telephoto lenses at infinity. There's been some progress in tele lens design since then so modern LF tele lenses are probably a little better than the equivalent Apo Ronars but that doesn't reduce how good Apo Ronars are.

Out of curiosity I've hung a 210/9 Konica Hexanon GR II, a relatively wide angle process lens made for short copy cameras, in front of an N8008S and shot it against a 200/4 MicroNikkor AIS. The GR II was better at 1:2, the MicroNikkor's close focusing limit on its own mount, 10' and 30', all at f/11, f/16 and f/22. Oh. How better? Sharper on the USAF 1951 target, better contrast and color. Same roll, so no questions about processing differences.

I don't recommend using the GR II for general out-and-about shooting on a Nikon mainly the bellows etc. needed is a cumbersome and the lens has a manual diaphragm. The rig is poorly suited to the typical 35 mm shooting style. But on tripod and with time to set up the shot, it its very good at all distances.

I've sold three early (dagor type) 240/9 G-Clarons, hung each in front of a Nikon and shot it for test before offering it for sale. Pretty much the same story. I don't think its possible to go wrong with one.

Cheers,

Dan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly process lenses tend to be too long for my application. The shortest I have seen is a C-Claron 5.6/135. No idea if it would make a good taking lens like the G-Clarons, maybe not as it's a copier lens and in it's original application was for making high contrast bw copies. I've seen them in two different barrel mounts and one of them looked like the cells would unscrew like a Componon and would maybe fit a shutter. I'm interested in lenses upto 100mm mostly, definitely nothing longer than 150mm.

Sometime I'll stick the cells from the Componon-S 5.6/100 in a 0 shutter on a 6x9 folder and see how it does shooting 6x9, I suspect it will do rather well.

I researched the differences in design between the Componon and Symmar and the difference is that in the Componon, the front cell is 3 lenses in 3 groups whereas in a Symmar, the front 2 lenses are cemented. Therefore it occurred to me if you put two back cells from a Componon in a shutter, you pretty much have a Symmar. Of course, glass types, coatings etc could differ, but I suspect the performance would not be radically different to a pukka Symmar.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
Ray Parkhurst wrote:
Avoid lenses optimized around 1:1 including anything considered for process, duplication, reproduction, etc work. These will generally be optimized from 1:2 to 2:1 and don't do as well at infinity...Ray

Ray, it really depends on the lens. Large format photographers happily use Apo-Artars, dialyte type Apo-Nikkors, Apo-Ronars, Apo-Saphirs and G-Clarons at all distances, also some tessar type process lenses. Ancient Rodenstock propaganda touted Apo-Ronars as superior to telephoto lenses at infinity. There's been some progress in tele lens design since then so modern LF tele lenses are probably a little better than the equivalent Apo Ronars but that doesn't reduce how good Apo Ronars are.

I suppose some may be OK for LF use, but for any lens truly optimized for process work around 1:1 then my statement stands. There are tradeoffs in lens design made to optimize at 1:1 that are not compatible with infinity work. Some process lenses are designed for magnification, and they are likely better but often they are optimized around specific wavelengths.

danfromm wrote:
Out of curiosity I've hung a 210/9 Konica Hexanon GR II, a relatively wide angle process lens made for short copy cameras, in front of an N8008S and shot it against a 200/4 MicroNikkor AIS. The GR II was better at 1:2, the MicroNikkor's close focusing limit on its own mount, 10' and 30', all at f/11, f/16 and f/22. Oh. How better? Sharper on the USAF 1951 target, better contrast and color. Same roll, so no questions about processing differences.

I'm not surprised. My copy of the MF 200 Micro Nikkor was not at all impressive. Now, my AF 200 is quite the beast, and superb at infinity...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, keep an eye out for 150/9 G-Clarons, whose cells are direct fits in a #0, and 150/9 Apo-Ronars, some of which have cells that are direct fits in a #0. Beware of the tiny 150/9 Klimsch Apo-Ronars whose cells don't go into a standard shutter. I have a couple of these last, they're great, but they need adapters to be front-mounted. TTH made a very nice little tessar type 6"/9 Cooke Copying Lens that's quite good but, like the Klimsch Apo Ronars, has cells that don't go into a standard shutter. Boyer made a 100/9 Apo Saphir but they're quite rare.

None of these lenses but the G-Claron covers much more than 45 degrees. Chris Perez and Kerry Thalmann tested a couple of G-Clarons. You might find their results interesting. See http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html

Ray, are you speaking from general principles or from measurement? I ask because I've measured and the process lenses I mentioned don't agree with your assessment of them. Slow symmetrical dialytes, in particular, hold their corrections surprisingly well at all distances.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips Dan. I'm tempted to grab the C-Claron 5.6/135 as I strongly suspect the cells will go into a #0, same as the Componon-S 5.6/100 will.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, I've got you a Prontor S ( with a Baltar 75 2.9 ) today, and a bunch of other stuff - call me. answer your phone! Wink