Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Field Macro Setup
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Field Macro Setup Reply with quote

The goal with this setup was to bring the Vivitar 1:1 adapter back into the field. I often found I was leaving it at home because of limited available light. With this setup, I could use it and retain handheld mobility. This rig also allows me to use smaller apertures and additional close-up tools like extension tubes and auxiliary lenses without falling back on a tripod.

Not pictured is the split-prism in the 1D and the OM-EF adapter without a stop-down screw. I decided to try composing wide open and stopping down manually with the DoF preview button, since the viewfinder is unusable from f8. This works fairly well.

The Newton bracket was unexpectedly handy for repositioning the flash when switching camera orientation. I originally envisioned the mini ballhead handling most of the movement, but I mostly leave it be.

That Tamron palm rest from the 300/2.8 is also nice to have. It's attached to the 1:1 adapter's tripod mount and provides a more stable grip, especially when pressing the lens' stop-down button.

I've posted a gallery of images from this setup here.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting to see your set-up, thanks for that.

I've never heard of the Tamron palm rest before, I can see how it would be useful.

My own set-up is a rough version of yours.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, where did you get that Newton bracket?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
I've never heard of the Tamron palm rest before, I can see how it would be useful.

To my knowledge they were included with Tamron's 300/2.8 and 400/4 Adaptall-2 lenses. Finding one by itself took some time.

Himself wrote:
Mike, where did you get that Newton bracket?

It was sitting in the used equipment in a local shop. It must be a really old model.

Newton still makes brackets: http://www.newtoncamerabrackets.com/