Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

XR Rikeneon APO 4.5/300
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: XR Rikeneon APO 4.5/300 Reply with quote

The lens:

Some images - some wide open and some are not.
An interesting lens that has less contrast than I was expecting.
OH

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be an ok sort of lens,a little more getting used to its ways. I think you could do some nice "bubble bokeh" work with it wide open Laughing
Is there much heft to this lens? I started collecting Ricoh gear but mainly the metal lenses and a few cameras.The XR lenses and the "P" lenses seems to be an over looked area when it comes to buying.

I am currently waiting on a 5.5/360 to arrive. Cool

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there is a learning curve to this lens.
It is quite light for the size and easy to carry.
It has internal focusing which is good and bad.
The focus throw from 2.5 metres to infinity is only just over 1/4 turn of the focusing collar, and it is a pain to nail focus with. I'll get used to it no doubt.
Here is another couple of pics with better focus I think.
OH

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Rikenon appears to be a rebranded APO Sigma APO 400mm F4.5 which was launched in 1981. Many Sigma APO lenses of that period suffered badly from cement deterioration, which got hazy in a few years. I lost an APO Sigma 400mm F5.6 because of that problem. Take a look at the front group and see if it is clear. If you note any haziness, this would explain the low contrast you mentioned.

Edit: From the pictures I would say the contrast is OK.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
This Rikenon appears to be a rebranded APO Sigma APO 400mm F4.5 which was launched in 1981. Many Sigma APO lenses of that period suffered badly from cement deterioration, which got hazy in a few years. I lost an APO Sigma 400mm F5.6 because of that problem. Take a look at the front group and see if it is clear. If you note any haziness, this would explain the low contrast you mentioned.

Edit: From the pictures I would say the contrast is OK.

Yes, I don't know why I was expecting more ........ I just had it in my head that this being a Rikenon it would be ???????? ...................... not like I found it - sounds daft I know but I can't quite find the words to describe the difference.
Anyhoo, moving right along ....... The lens is in excellent condition and the glass is as near to pristine as I have seen from an older used lens.
I will get to know it better and perhaps discover its sweet spots.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, getting the hang of this thing now.
Here are a couple more.
OH

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its tough one to call but I think its your skill more than the lens. Where does the XR come in the Ricoh lens line up?
Ok answering my own question,from the info supplied on this excellent website
http://www.drricoh.de/Rikenon/index.html your lens was made between 1982-1990

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does look encouraging enough to get out my Sigma 5.6/400, which looks are exactly like your Rikenon lens. I have never used it.... Embarassed too many gear, too little time....!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused, as OH's post says this is a 300mm 4.5 but Gerald says it's a rebranded 400mm? Nice shots OH, these big old telephotos are not the easiest lenses to use. You have already captured some beautiful shots.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma made a 300mm and a 400mm version (which i have). They do look alike, but OH's pics were made with the 300, which is a re-branded 300 Sigma. (correct me if i'm wrong)

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Sigma APO 400mm F5.6, which is the "brother" of the Sigma APO 300mm F4.5.

If your lens does not suffer from deterioration of lens cement, love your Sigma because it is indeed an excellent lens.

The system of internal focusing is very good and fast, but requires some practice. However, all lenses above 300mm require you be very careful while focusing.

Below the advertisings of the APO Sigmas in Modern Photography 1981. Sigma was very proud of them. The prices in NYC January 1981 were:
APO Sigma 300mm F4.5: $318
APO Sigma 400mm F5.6: $428

Today, the inflation adjusted prices would be:
APO Sigma 300mm F4.5: $829
APO Sigma 400mm F5.6: $1116

More information about the APO Sigma 400mm F5.6:
http://forum.mflenses.com/shooting-the-moon-with-400mm-lenses-sigma-apo-and-telemegor-t65938,highlight,%2Bsigma+%2Bapo+%2B400mm.html

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone especially Mo and Gerald for the link and the Sigma information sheets.
Interestingly, the Rikenon reference states it as having 8 elements in 5 groups, while the Sigma says 8 elements in 6 groups.
There is no denying the similarities is there.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is giving me the run-around.
I am finding the learning curve for getting the best from it to be quite steep.
The focus is what I would call "sudden death" you are either spot on or gone.
This is not helped by the very small focus ring range of only around 120 degrees from closest focus (2.4m) to infinity.
So - focus has to be spot on or you miss.
Here are a few from this afternoon.
As you can see, I missed the first one.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
The focus is what I would call "sudden death" you are either spot on or gone.
Laughing Laughing
I think you invented very useful expression here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you miss? does the focus move when you press the shutter? or you just can't turn the focus ring to the exact point of sharp focus?

I believe I came across this using the G1, I can't remember the lens but it was very hard to get the focus, it was either "now" or I turned the ring a fraction to far.Usually you can ease into the correct focus point not keep skipping it...I hope you understand what I mean. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the compliment Pancolart

mo wrote:
Why do you miss? does the focus move when you press the shutter? or you just can't turn the focus ring to the exact point of sharp focus?

I believe I came across this using the G1, I can't remember the lens but it was very hard to get the focus, it was either "now" or I turned the ring a fraction to far.Usually you can ease into the correct focus point not keep skipping it...I hope you understand what I mean. Very Happy

It is a hard one to fathom and to answer Mo.
I am accustomed to focusing to, past and back to the point of focus - I think we all do it that way - but with this lens the focus ring is so sensitive that a minute movement either way is off, and the higher f-stops don't often save it with DOF.
It is a finely made lens with tight tolerances and no slop or play, but oh boy - what fiddly thing to get fine focus with.
I think that the focus ring is simply too highly geared, and tiny movements are translated into large errors.
It is the first time that I have struck this with a lens - other lenses are normally much more forgiving.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like we are talking about the same thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
It sounds like we are talking about the same thing.

Yep - hair trigger lenses haha
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a good excuse cold hands,can't turn the ring as well.... Very Happy Seriously, is the lens a keeper?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I have a good excuse cold hands,can't turn the ring as well.... Very Happy Seriously, is the lens a keeper?

I can't make that excuse I'm afraid - eyesight maybe.
I am going to persevere with this lens, as it is the lightest 4.5/300 I have.
As well as that, when it is good it is very very good - like the little girl that had a little curl I suppose ......... Very Happy
If I simply cannot master it I will move it on.
OH Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more shots with some help from LR5
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots., OH. 400/5.6 allows for some really nice oof from a distance. Thanks for posting.