Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Shooting the Moon with 400mm lenses: Sigma APO and Telemegor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Shooting the Moon with 400mm lenses: Sigma APO and Telemegor Reply with quote

Some people say that shooting the Moon is an excellent way of testing a telephoto lens. Well, I disagree. A test chart is a better target to test a lens, but I admit that shooting the Moon is much funnier.

This post is about specific lenses I used to shoot the Moon, but I decided to add some general comments because I thought they could be useful for who wants to photograph the Moon with different pieces of equipment.

The Moon is a bright and static subject (well, quasi static, to be exact), so the Moon should be simple to shoot, right? Unfortunately, the Moon is a very small subject, photographically speaking, and to make things even more complicated, there is a thick layer of air, the atmosphere itself, between the camera and the Moon. The atmosphere is always in motion due to wind and local temperature variations, what makes that the quality of a Moon picture depends not only on the lens performance, but also on favorable atmospheric conditions. Besides, focusing errors and camera shake can easily ruin any photo of the Moon. In summary, the results of photographing the Moon depend on the lens, the atmospheric conditions, and competency of the photographer.

Just out of curiosity, few people realize that the Moon is seen "upside down" in the southern hemisphere!? Or it is upside down in the northern hemisphere? Mr. Green
As I suppose that most of the members live in the northern hemisphere, I rotated the original pictures by 180° to a more familiar view. Razz

The lenses

a) Meyer Telemegor 400mm F5.5
My first 400mm lens was a Meyer Telemegor 400mm F5.5 that I bought second-hand.
After the photographic industries in the former East Germany were unified under the name VEB Pentacon, the Meyer Telemegor 400mm F5.5 was replaced by the slightly longer Pentacon 500mm F5.6. Optically, both lenses are based on a front and a rear doublet, which is a classic formula with elements 4 and 2 groups. After WW II, this type of construction was used by many German brands, such as Enna, Kilfitt, Meyer and Schneider. The performances of all these telephoto lenses were reasonable for the time, and they are still usable if stopped down one or two stops.

Closest focusing distance: 5.5m
Weight: 1980g
Length (∞): 320mm
Length (d=5.5m): 355mm

The Telemore is mechanically simple but robust. It uses a double helical focusing system that moves the lens as a whole. It is slow but accurate. The main limitation of this focusing system is that the closest focusing distance is 5.5m, which is a little excessive, for example, to photograph flowers and small animals. The diaphragm is a pre-set type with 19 blades that produces an almost circular aperture for all F-number.

Unlike the Pentacon 500mm, which is a monster of 3500g that can only be used on a tripod, the Telemegor 400mm is a lens that can be used handheld by brave (and fit) photographers.

b) Sigma APO 400mm F5.6

My Sigma APO 400mm F5.6 telephoto lens is the first version, the one which Sigma claimed to have designed as an apochromatic with normal dispersion glass. The secret for apochromatic correction was the thick front triplet. Unfortunately, Sigma cemented the front triplet with some synthetic glue, which degenerated over time. It seems that most lenses of this type, including mine, developed gradually a fog in one of the cement layers of the front triplet, what made the lens practically unusable.

Recently I saw on eBay a Sigma APO 400mm that appeared to be equal to my lens, but the seller's pictures showed that the lens was clear and didn't suffer from foggy cement. I ended up buying that lens, but for my surprise I discovered that Sigma had quietly changed the design. The problematic triplet had apparently been replaced by two doublets and the tripod collar, which originally was metal, was replaced by a plastic one. The overall quality of the lens was still very good, and except for the tripod collar, the rest of the les was all metal, including an integral telescopic lens hood. A bonus of the redesign was that the lens became about 300g lighter.

Closest focusing distance: 3m
Weight: 1030g
Length: 270mm

One of the high points of the Sigma APO 400mm is its internal focusing. The lens focuses an object at just 3m away with only ¼ turn of the focusing ring. The length of the lens does not change with focusing. If, instead, a unit focusing were used, the lens length would increase by more than 70mm. The focusing ring is similar in size and smoothness to a SMC Takumar 135mm F2.5 lens. The balance is very good when the lens used with a relatively heavy camera like the Sony A99. The balance of the Sigma APO is much better, for example, than the Sonnar 200mm F2.8, which is a front heavy lens. Although the Sigma has a tripod collar, it is very comfortable to use handheld.

Shooting the Moon – The Technique
The angular diameter of the Moon is about 1/2 degree, what requires a telephoto lens of 2000mm or more for a tight framing. With a lens of "only" 400mm, you have no alternative but cropping the image, or using one or more tele-converters to increase the effective focal length.

Focusing
Unless the lens is absolutely calibrated for infinity, it is best to use your own eyes to focus the Moon. OVFs in particular are not very suitable for the task; it is best to use a mirrorless camera with EVF, or a DSLR with Live View. I used a viewfinder magnification of 11.7X, which allowed a precise focus adjustment.

A display magnification of 11.7X on a lens of 1600mm (400mm lens plus two stacked 2X tele-converter) means that you are effectively seeing through a lens of 18720mm equivalent focal length! In terms of an equivalent telescope, the magnification is 265 times! With so high magnification, the simple act of touching the focusing ring was enough to shake the image, making difficult to detect the exact point of focus.

Exposure
Maybe the simplest way to control the exposure is by using the manual mode of the camera. It is very simple to estimate the correct exposition simply by observing the Moon image in the EVF or LCD. An alternative is using the spot photometer if the camera has this feature. Any way, it is important to not let the brightest parts of the Moon burn out.

Vibration control
Despite being possible to shoot the Moon handheld under certain conditions, in practice the use of a tripod is mandatory, especially when using super telephoto lenses and small apertures. However, the use of tripod alone does not guarantee a sharp picture. The greatest enemies of a sharp photograph are the vibrations caused by the shock of mirror and shutter curtains in a DSLR camera. It is important that the mirror be locked up, what happens automatically in most DSLR when using the Live View. Of course, the mirror shock is no problem in a mirrorless camera.

The shutter shock can be avoided in certain cameras that offer the EFC (Electronic First Curtain) option, such as Canon DSLRs and Sony Alphas. Including, there are cameras, as certain Panasonic models, which offer the option of a completely electronic shutter. The Sony A99 has a fixed semi-transparent mirror and EFC, so camera shake should be no problem. To avoid vibration by the operator, a remote control or the camera self-timer must be used to fire the shutter.

The pictures

The first picture was taken with the Sigma APO plus two 2X Komura Telemore II MC-7 tele-converters. The equivalent focal length was 1600mm and the lens aperture was F8 (or it was F5.6, I don't remember well). The effective aperture of lens plus tele-converters was F32 (F22?). The exposure time was 1/5s with ISO 50 plus +0.3 EV compensation.

The second photo was taken with the Sigma APO plus only one 2X Komura Telemore II MC-7 tele-converter. I had already noticed that there was no advantage in using two tele-converters. The lens aperture was F11 (F45 equivalent) and the exposure time was 1/8s ISO 200.

The third photo was taken with Meyer Telemegor plus plus one 2X Komura Telemore II MC-7 tele-converter. The lens aperture was F22 (F45 equivalent) and the exposure time was 1/5s at ISO 400. The aperture may seem unreasonably small; however a larger aperture would show excessive lateral chromatic aberration.

Conclusions and remarks
1) The Sigma APO produced an image quality considerably better than Telemegor.
2) Long shutter times are no problem with mirror lockup and EFC.
3) After comparing my pictures with those taken by Roger N. Clark, I concluded that expensive photographic lenses, like the Canon 500mm F4, do not guarantee better photos that those I took with the Sigma APO.
4) It requires a professional telescope and special techniques, like image stacking and mosaicing, to achieve considerably better results than mine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I allowed to post some harsh critics?

1.: The moon might be anything, but "static" is the last thing in the world he is: He RUNS over the sky, reasonally sharp pictures need a astro mount or stacking. Take a look through a hihger magnification telescope.

2.: Your first (sharp) picture seems to be taken at a very other time than the other both. As You mention difference in atmospheric clearance is one possible reason for the differences. The last two pictures seem to be made at the same time, but did You try more than once? Give the Telemegor a second chance!

All in all I must admit that the APO Sigma has deserved a chance to be tested by me.... Wink

Thanks for Your work & don't over overrate my post, it's written as an emotionally too fast reply, tinted with some delicious Spätburgundy Redwine, there will be others with more competence following!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad, the Sigma "APO" is better than I expected. Amazing what you got out of this lens, considering it's only 400mm and price tag.

duckrider wrote:
Am I allowed to post some harsh critics?

1.: The moon might be anything, but "static" is the last thing in the world he is: He RUNS over the sky, reasonally sharp pictures need a astro mount or stacking. Take a look through a hihger magnification telescope.

Yes and no.
The moon is VERY bright. You can use very high shutter speeds if you want to with modern digital bodies, so speed is no big problem. I don't think you need an astro mount unless you're shooting with very slow lenses, slower than F32 effectivily and/or very high magnifications like 5000mm on FF or more.

Here Celestron C130 2000mm F15.4 flip mirror Maksutov lens (160-250€ used) on Sony NEX-C3 (APS-C), 1/60s, ISO400 without guiding, stacking or special astro software etc., out of a window. Shows only very slight softness caused by moving, heat flickering/seeing is much more limiting here.

Or here same setup but brighter exposure, 1/250s, ISO2500. Slightly sharper but mostly because faster shutter speed means also less heat flickering

Last edited by ForenSeil on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:03 pm; edited 12 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duckrider wrote:
Your first (sharp) picture seems to be taken at a very other time than the other both. As You mention difference in atmospheric clearance is one possible reason for the differences. The last two pictures seem to be made at the same time, but did You try more than once? Give the Telemegor a second chance!

Yes, the first picture was taken in a different day than the other two pictures.
I shot several pictures with the Telemegor and picked the best one.
The Telemegor is not a bad lens, but it is no match to the Sigma. Take a look at the 200% crops below from the center of a test chart.

APO Sigma at F5.6 (wide open):

Meyer Telemegor at F5.5 (wide open):

Meyer Telemegor at F11:

The markings give the resolution in hundreds of LWPH.
The Telemegor wide open is soft and suffers from low contrast.
Even at F11 the Telemegor cannot match the APO Sigma at F5.6.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both sets of moon pics are very nice. The OPs images are really good for a 400mm lens on a fixed tripod.

Of course, the images from the 2000mm diffraction-limited scope will be better, especially if a tracking mount (with lunar rate?) and special planetary/lunar imaging software is used for post-processing.

BTW, I've usually used from 1/125 to 1/640 second shutter speed for capturing the moon at f/8 to f/10, using 800mm (lens) or 2000mm (telescope) focal length. The goal of shooting lots of images at higher speeds is to maybe capture a few shots between "flickers" of the unsteady atmosphere. This is more important at 2000mm than at 400mm or 800mm.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my moon with a Hanimex 400/6.3 (kind gift of iangreenhaigh) plus Marexar 2x teleconverter (top level equipment Smile ) on Canon 60D:
The most difficult thing for me was to maintain the moon in the field of view because it was running away.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Best moon shot I've ever seen from a cheapo lens!
Was it made outside or through a window? Was some kind of stacking etc. and CA-removal used?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's my moon taken with the Sigma 600mm F8 Mirror Telephoto Multicoated

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enzodm wrote:
This was my moon with a Hanimex 400/6.3 (kind gift of iangreenhaigh) plus Marexar 2x teleconverter (top level equipment Smile ) on Canon 60D:
The most difficult thing for me was to maintain the moon in the field of view because it was running away.

really nice one!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some really good moon shots here!

duckrider wrote:

To be precise, sky objects run at maximum 15 arc seconds per second (at zero degrees declination). Usual atmospheric limitation when the conditions are good is around 1", this means anything under 1/15 s exposure is short enough that is not blured. Furthermore, for such resolution you would need diffraction limited optics of diameter more than 10 cm (like something a super-sharp 600mm f5.6 would do).

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s58y wrote:
BTW, I've usually used from 1/125 to 1/640 second shutter speed for capturing the moon at f/8 to f/10, using 800mm (lens) or 2000mm (telescope) focal length. The goal of shooting lots of images at higher speeds is to maybe capture a few shots between "flickers" of the unsteady atmosphere. This is more important at 2000mm than at 400mm or 800mm.

Yes, high shutter speeds are good to minimize the effects of atmosphere turbulence. Unfortunately, with effective apertures of F11, F16, F22, it is not always possible to use high shutter speed. Considering only the apparent movement of the Moon, the shutter speed can be set according to the "Rule of 600", that says that an exposure time of 1 sec is appropriate for a 600mm lens, 1/2 sec for a 1200mm, 1/3 sec for a 1800mm, and so on. By the Rule of 600, you should use the equivalent focal length, not the actual.

A good strategy to shoot the Moon is to take dozens of pictures and choose the sharpest. If the camera has option of a purely electronic shutter, or if it is a compact camera with central shutter, a good idea is to take pictures in a burst. However, with a DSLR camera, vibrations due to shutter shock will certainly result in blurred pictures.

The photo below was taken handheld with a compact camera, the FZ200, which has a tiny sensor of only 1/2.3". The shutter speed was 1/640s and the aperture F4. The zoom lens was set to 600mm equivalent focal length, but the actual focal length was only 108mm. Of course, the FZ200 cannot compete with a good 600mm lens, but on the other hand no 100mm lens for APS-C, M43 or 35mm can match the resolution of the FZ200 lens at 108mm and F4.

sammo wrote:
To be precise, sky objects run at maximum 15 arc seconds per second (at zero degrees declination). Usual atmospheric limitation when the conditions are good is around 1", this means anything under 1/15 s exposure is short enough that is not blured. Furthermore, for such resolution you would need diffraction limited optics of diameter more than 10 cm (like something a super-sharp 600mm f5.6 would do).

I agree. I just want to add that photographic lenses in general are far from being diffraction-limited at F5.6. Exposure times two to three times longer may be used if apertures such as F11, F16, F22, etc. are employed.

Some comments on photos of the Moon.
Most pictures of the Moon that I have seen on the web are over-sharpened and/or over-contrasted. It seems that a lot of people love pictures that way. Apparently they think the pictures are more "artistic" or more "impressive". In my opinion, when the contrast of the Moon picture is exaggerated, it transforms into a grotesque caricature of the Moon. In general those "enhanced" pictures also suffer from noise and artifacts.

The full Moon, in particular, is an object of low contrast but with a spectacular beauty. Few pictures can capture the brightness of the moon as seen with the naked eye or with a good pair of binoculars.

An example of how post-processing can "improve" a picture of the Moon.

Original picture taken with Meyer 400mm F5.6 Telemegor plus Komura Telemore II MC7 2X tele-converter

Post-processed ("improved") picture. The enhanced photo is sharper but the fine details are essentially the same.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Wow! Best moon shot I've ever seen from a cheapo lens!
Was it made outside or through a window? Was some kind of stacking etc. and CA-removal used?

Thanks. It was made outside, relatively cheap tripod too with remote in live view (to reduce vibrations), no stacking or CA removal but converted to black and white (if I remember well I used the green channel, after having checked which one was giving more details). And of course increased sharpness, some light noise reduction.
I tried to keep the moon in the center of the field for better resolution.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea to use the green channel, I must try myself too

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to longer wavelengths, red and near-IR will lower the atmosphering blur on the photos. But it makes sense that normal photos are better in green than in red or blue, simply because of chromatic abberation green is focused the best.