Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Asking for Help With Cropping
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Asking for Help With Cropping Reply with quote

A while back, I posted an image that had been too reworked (to my benefit, the image had been rendered when I was barely into Photoshop and manipulations). The image did not fare too well, not only for its crop, but for its coloration and rather coarse rendering. Also, there were some statements that the water in the foreground gave an impression that there was nowhere to look, and that the balance was off.

I am including the cropped original image below, along with the original image (Yashica Mat).

I would like for someone to suggest ways to crop the image, as I am at a loss to find a cropping scheme that seems appealing. Perhaps this image can be saved after all. Confused

Thank you, I look forward to your ideas!

Cropped image:

Original for Cropping Suggestions - Raw Scan, No Manipulations:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that your crop is probably the best possible already, Larry.

Should I offer two alternatives, here they are:

One to emphasize the sky:

A "darker" one, that gives predominance to the lake and the lower part:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, therein lies the problem. I like BOTH crops, Orio. But if I was to choose, I love the crop with more sky, as I think the sky and clouds and peaks showing through the clouds is the emphatic portion of the image.

In fact, I am going to go with your "sky crop". THANK YOU Orio! Surprised

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Larry . . .
Here are my 2x 2cents worth.

The first is a center crop which brings out the mist shrouded mountain . . .

The 2nd one uses the 2 reflections as balance . . .

Its a great image otherwise.
Jim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, the second crop is truly fine. I'll "work" that one as well as Orio's sky crop! THANK YOU!

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does it need cropping? I like the original - it has a very pleasing balance that makes the eye consider the lake first and then the sky. The drama is in the sky and is more effective if it follows the lake. My little bit

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Patrick
The second one of Jim is also nice for non square format
Now for the original small crop, it was more the resolution, over sharpness and burned highlight I didn't like.
The small crop is about the size of 24x36 on the original 6x6. I think if you scan only this portion at higher resolution it can be nice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'll go back and give the original crop a solid scan and see what happens. Larry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the original too, However the reflection of the tree has been cropped , I would keep it whole. That flash of white detracts ever so slightly for me (on the right in the foreground) when I do the same crop on the original. However on your crop with the colour/contrast changes, the snow on the right is somewhat balanced out by the cloud top left. I couldn't improve on it.