Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Petri Orikkor (Kyoei) 3.5/135 M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: Petri Orikkor (Kyoei) 3.5/135 M42 Reply with quote

This is one of those odd cases that I have been hunting for a while -

L-Kyoei Acall 3.4/180 R-Petri Orikkor 3.5/135

This lens was actually made by Kyoei, one of the more interesting small Japanese manufacturers that seems to have disappeared in the early 1960's. This lens was made for Petri, for their first SLR. I think all the original Petri lenses were made by Kyoei. The original Petri Penta of 1958-59 had an M42 mount. The very next model introduced the Petri bayonet. So we can rather accurately date this lens to 1958-59.

The same lens can be found in the Kyoei Acall brand, and probably others, but I have never seen one of those. All Kyoei lenses are scarce, the SLR lenses are possibly the most scarce.

As for construction, this little lens is an exact duplicate of its big brother, a 4-element three group pseudo-"Sonnar" type. The aperture mechanism is the distinctive 2-ring business with a pull-back mechanism on the front ring. Close focus is 5 ft/1.5m, typical of its day. It luckily came with the original hood.

The lens is in decent enough condition as to cosmetics, but it has a considerable amount of fogging on the second element that has resisted everything I have tried on it, and there is some separation besides. I was concerned that this would affect results, but apparently not.

Performance is excellent. This is sharp wide open, with lovely bokeh and excellent contrast. It is rather prone to flare, so its not the best choice for backlit situations, though that may be due to the fogging and separation.

The bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My day would be incomplete without a picture and a 100% crop of a seagull. Thanks for sharing!

Apparently Kyoei also made lenses in the M37 mount for the Asahiflex cameras. I have never seen one of those though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be one of the sharpest 135 mm of the line that you have showed to us.

Excelent contrast and resolution.

A little jewel.

Foggin?

a) evaporation of oil, etc. As you know, can be easy to clean.

b) Consecuence of badly cleaned elements before. Easy to clean too.

c) difference between the tensions of differents and heterogenous mass into the glass, because mistakes in the glass production. Not solution, I guess.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked one up in good condition today at a antique shop in town, got home late so I haven't really tried it out properly yet.

your pics are lovely, how are you finding it after a couple of years since this post, if you still have it?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold it.
Apparently it has special qualities for UV photography, and some of the fellows here had a better use for it in that line.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't had a chance yet to test it out, but will do so soon and report here Wink

Last edited by kds315* on Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Petri Zebra lenses are pretty rare. Very nice find!
IQ looks good too, congratz Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have a few first test shots (my usual targets) from a dull day, but nothing really nice...

Just proves that it is very sharp fully open. More later...

(sorry, this is the 180mm version, not the 135mm - my bad)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the golden egg on your roof?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue May 10, 2016 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:

I have never heard anyone having success

With such a size of egg each normal goose would be rather scared than attracted Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Those Petri Zebra lenses are pretty rare. Very nice find!
IQ looks good too, congratz Very Happy

Luckily it was still there, I remember seeing it at the shop about 6 months ago and thought nothing of it as I was too excited about the konica 35mm and olympus 100mm I found.

I went back again just to see if he had gotten new stock in no new stock but the petri was still there, a quick google search turned up some pages so I decided to go for it, for $15 I'm a happy camper!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one just like the lens above, Petri Orikkor 180mm 3.5 zebra. Smile