Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax RTS II
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Contax RTS II Reply with quote

I have the chance to get a "perfectly working" contax rts II for a price that's interesting for me (=very low).
I couldn't find much info from my usual trusted sources, so i'll ask here (which is a usual trusted source, btw):
Is it any good, or should I just save for an rts III?
Are there any common issue that it could have and the seller is not mentioning?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTSII is a real classic design camera. heavy, solid, huge view finder very clear.
the reliability of contax/yashica/kyocera cameras are not the best in my opinion despite the price you had to pay for a new model.
my RTSII have an electronic problem, loading the film, the speed remain blocked et the mecanical speed of 1/60°sec. the the problem resolves after shooting 3 or 4 frames, in fact until the film counter reach the view 1.
i guess that it cames from the rewinding knob. maybe there is a problem here.
but, the RTSIII is biger, heavier i guess. so my first choice is for RTSII; beautiful camera.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my RTSII

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gilles.
Sadly the seller stopped answering me after a while, so I didn't buy that one, but I'm always looking for a good contax body, so this is really useful info.
Your RTS II is a real beauty, I hope another one as cheap as the one I couldn't get pops up soon!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a very clean and tidy Contax RX the other day very cheaply, just a lucky strike at a charity shop. As yet I haven't run a film through it but everything seems to work and it is a beautifully made camera, it oozes quality.
I like the look of the focus confirmation as well, just messing with the camera it seems accurate, if I concentrate on the screen and focus the digital display confirms at exactly the same spot. Of course that might alter when I get a film in it, but if it is accurate the display showing either back or front focus, and depth of field, looks very useful.
The only problem is, I don't have any Contax lenses, only Yashica. And so far I haven't seen any cheap Contax.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I got a very clean and tidy Contax RX the other day very cheaply, just a lucky strike at a charity shop. As yet I haven't run a film through it but everything seems to work and it is a beautifully made camera, it oozes quality.
I like the look of the focus confirmation as well, just messing with the camera it seems accurate, if I concentrate on the screen and focus the digital display confirms at exactly the same spot. Of course that might alter when I get a film in it, but if it is accurate the display showing either back or front focus, and depth of field, looks very useful.
The only problem is, I don't have any Contax lenses, only Yashica. And so far I haven't seen any cheap Contax.

They're not cheap indeed: I got an incredibly lucky hit on a contax set, with a 139 quartz and 4 lenses (28/2.8, 50/1.7, 85/1.4 and 135/2.8 for an outrageously low price), and since then I rarely shot with any other of my lenses on my nex.
The only downside of the story is that now I want more, something wider and a tele zoom being the priorities Confused

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lloydy,
don't worry, yashica lenses are very good lenses. i have the ML 28mm f/2.8. it is very good. i picked up from ebay a 70-210 f/4.5 it is very sharp. all theses lenses for 30 or 60€.
The contax RX is a joy to use, the shutter is very silent.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do not have any pleasure to use my zeiss/yashica lenses on my M4/3 camera. it suits well and do nice pictures but ...
theses lenses are made to be used on film cameras, on contax cameras of course.
the 139Q were based on RTS profesional previous model. so it have a big view finder. the RTSII finder is bigger.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gillesF wrote:
i do not have any pleasure to use my zeiss/yashica lenses on my M4/3 camera. it suits well and do nice pictures but ...
theses lenses are made to be used on film cameras, on contax cameras of course.
the 139Q were based on RTS profesional previous model. so it have a big view finder. the RTSII finder is bigger.

I know, this (together with the fact that I won't be able to afford a FF digital in the near future) is the main reason why I was looking for a good film body - the 139Q that came with the lenses is not working - and that rts II popped out just at the right moment and with the right price. Probably the seller realized he could have easily sold it for twice as much and disappeared.
The good news is that I found someone who will repair (and re-seal) my 139Q for a reasonable price, so now I'm waiting for it to come back.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything, i have the same problem like you. since i began to use contax/yashica cameras, i want more beautiful lenses. but it's pricey, a pity !
conderning wider angle lenses, i know the distagon 25/2.8. it is very good. i am looking for too a 18 or 21mm.
but the 28/2.8 you have is very famous.
concerning telel lenses, you have the 135/2.8, it is a very sharp lens. i can recommand you the tele tessar 200/3.5 a very sharp lens too and a nice bokhe in my opinion. the vario sonnar 80-200 is also good but more expensive generaly.

i have yashica 70-210/4.5, VS 80-200/4 and TT 200/3.5. i do not know at the moment wich one i will keep or sell.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gillesF wrote:
Aanything, i have the same problem like you. since i began to use contax/yashica cameras, i want more beautiful lenses. but it's pricey, a pity !
conderning wider angle lenses, i know the distagon 25/2.8. it is very good. i am looking for too a 18 or 21mm.
but the 28/2.8 you have is very famous.
concerning telel lenses, you have the 135/2.8, it is a very sharp lens. i can recommand you the tele tessar 200/3.5 a very sharp lens too and a nice bokhe in my opinion. the vario sonnar 80-200 is also good but more expensive generaly.

Good to know about the tele tessar, I could find relatively little first hand experience about it, and it is reasonably priced: otoh I already have some good ~200 (ie the jena sonnar 180/2.8 ), so I'm saving money with the distagon 18 in my mind.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Vario Sonnar 4/80-200 isn't always more expensive then Tele-Tessar.. in fact I paid even less (120 Euro instead 135 Euro). And I liked it so much that after a short time I was selling the Tele-Tessar. Didn't regret it...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vario-Sonnar is a better and handier lens overall - but the bokeh of the Tele-Tessar 4/200 is very, very, very hard to beat...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true... but the Vario-Sonnar also hasn't a ugly bokeh Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed, VS 80-200/4's bokeh is not bad IMO

contax Aria - VS 80-200/4 - Fuji pro 400H

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never that impressed with the Distagon 25/2.8 (I prefer the 28/2.Cool or the Tele-Tessar 200/3.5. The Vario-Sonnar 80-200/4 is very, very good though Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
what do you think about Bokeh difference between older CZ lenses with less rounded blades (at great aperture blades are like a star) and newer lenses with aperture blades more rounded ?

Contax RTSII - distagon 35/1.4 at f/2 - Kodak 400CN