Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

do these lenses exist?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: do these lenses exist? Reply with quote

are there any 21mm(or)22mm

or 31mm(or)32mm

prime lenses in existence? if so, who makes them?

what is the max aperature if you've seen them?

thanks, n

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: do these lenses exist? Reply with quote

nlacaria wrote:
or 31mm(or)32mm
prime lenses in existence?

Oh, yes. The 21mm focal lenght is a quite common one.

Quote:
if so, who makes them?

One of the most famous lenses ever produced, is a 21mm. lens
I'm talking of the Carl Zeiss Contax Distagon 2.8/21
A rare lens, made with glass that contains what today are prohibited materials (such as lead).
For this reason, when those materials were prohibited, Zeiss put the Distagon 21 out of production: no other material was found for replacement, that could insure the same optical performance.

Quote:
thanks, n

see above.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: do these lenses exist? Reply with quote

nlacaria wrote:

or 31mm(or)32mm

prime lenses in existence? if so, who makes them?

thanks, n

Pentax offers a 31 Limited. Its max aperture is 1.8. This is not a very common focal. To be honest, Pentax is the only one i know offers this focal. I definitely haven't seen a 32mm lens before.

As Orio said, 21 is pretty common. And the Distagon 21 is the best 21mm for 35mm format you can find. However, it's not the fastest. I know Olympus offer a Zuiko 21/2. I've not seen anything faster.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: do these lenses exist? Reply with quote

nlacaria wrote:

or 31mm(or)32mm

prime lenses in existence?

What about the Minitar 1 32mm f/2.8 lens?

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all: Welcome!

You can also find some 29 and 30mm lenses by Pentacon.

I don't know about a 22mm lens, but I don't think so.
That's a shame because it first is my birthday and second it would be a 35mm lens at a Canon DSLR. Wink

Last edited by LucisPictor on Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 21mm F4,0 Mamiya Sekor/SX lens, but it´s pretty hard to get.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also an old Panagor / Vivitar / What else 21mm f3.8 you can find quite easily.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ubiquitous CZJ Flektogon 2.8/20 or the older 4/20 come to mind, as do the Meyer Oreston/Pentacon 2.8/29 and Meyer Lydith/Pentacon 3.5/30.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own an old panagor 4/21mm M42 . This lens is so-so under f/8 (distorsion) , but shows a good contrast and color saturation .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 21mm f3.5 Olympus OM ,simple superb lens.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: thanks everyone Reply with quote

i'll search some of those lenses out and see what i find. I use a DSLR (canon), but i am adapting MF lenses for my prime collection. it seems to just make sense - primes are intentional, so are MF lenses - they go together.

so far i have a mayiama/sekor 55 1.4 and a nikon 50/2

i'm excited to get this 21 and i'll look at the pentax 31 (not sure its what i need...) - they come closest to the 28 and 35 prime as i can get (the mayima is 88mm on a crop body - excellent, by the way; just get a hood for it)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentax 31 is not a MF lens; however, it's the only lens that I know that has that odd focal. Adapting a Pentax lens on a Canon system would mean you have to sand off/saw off the auto diaphragm arm. This would tremendously decrease the reselling value of the lens. Just a little note for you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiep wrote:
Adapting a Pentax lens on a Canon system would mean you have to sand off/saw off the auto diaphragm arm. This would tremendously decrease the reselling value of the lens. Just a little note for you.

That's not that true.
Full frame EOS camera will hit the auto diaphragm lever (and probably all xD series), but not APS-C ones.
I've tested several Pentax K mount lenses on EOS 350D usign a PK to EOS adapter without problem so far.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the correction.