Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Angenieux Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Angenieux Lenses Reply with quote

I rarely see threads related to these French lenses compared to the German or Russian ones. Are there users of these lenses here and if so which ones are the best and most recommended?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fredmiranda seems to have lots of users/posts.
I have an -Angenieux 135/2.5 Type P2 I haven't had much time with it, a couple outings on my NEX-7, it wasn't that great for landscapes, but I suspect it will be awesome for portraits on my A7r.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lenses from Angénieux are expensive collectibles. I can only afford the cheapest Type 2.5/35 R1. Compare to other lenses in the same era, my copy is relatively low in contrast but the resolution quiet good IMHO. It is great for portraits but it can also a good lens for certain types of landscapes when sharpness is not everything.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Angenieux Lenses Reply with quote

maldaye wrote:
I rarely see threads related to these French lenses compared to the German or Russian ones. Are there users of these lenses here and if so which ones are the best and most recommended?

Yes, i did write an article years ago...

http://forum.mflenses.com/angenieux-2-5-3-3-35-70mm-leica-r-mount-t19877.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The late Angenieux SLR lenses have cheap plastic barrels that tend to break with age. Really a bad investment.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get Tokina...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAART wrote:
Just get Tokina...

Tokina acquired Angenieux designs for the 28-70mm f2.6 zoom lens. Their version is not the same as the original,, they made a much cheaper version of it. Unsurprisingly the Tokina performs nowhere near as well as the Angenieux. So just get Tokina is a bad advice if you want the better image quality. Unless you refer to some of the very nice Tokina lenses that have nothing to do with Angenieux.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 70-210mm f3,5. I am too afraid to use it. It is just sitting there in its case in my display lol which is a bit of a shame I guess, perhaps I should throw it on the nex some time...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a few, I did kept one, quality like Leica, some awesome, some good average , you have to pay premium price just like on Leica items. Most stable production line is Carl Zeiss Western Germany made or same lenses Made in Japan , East German lenses like Leica, some stunning one ,some good average. Russians are mostly good average all step behind German lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a few Angenieux, I kept one, quality like Leica, some awesome, some good average , you have to pay premium price just like on Leica items. Most stable production line is Carl Zeiss Western Germany made or same lenses Made in Japan , East German lenses like Leica, some stunning one ,some good average. Russians are mostly good average all step behind German lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!Karen wrote:
I have a 70-210mm f3,5. I am too afraid to use it. It is just sitting there in its case in my display lol which is a bit of a shame I guess, perhaps I should throw it on the nex some time...

LOL! I know the feeling! I kept mine in the drybox. It didn't come with a case. I barely ever uses it. Too scared something will happen to it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I had a few Angenieux, I kept one, quality like Leica, some awesome, some good average , you have to pay premium price just like on Leica items. Most stable production line is Carl Zeiss Western Germany made or same lenses Made in Japan , East German lenses like Leica, some stunning one ,some good average. Russians are mostly good average all step behind German lenses.

I can't afford all those expensive brands of MF lenses. I bought my only Leica and now it is for sale for anyone that wants it. I wasn't too happy with it really. I can't say I tested my Angenieux very much. It maybe a lemon too. Either or I know I am not going to buy another Leica for a long time to come. Can't afford to spend so much money on what turns out to be a so-so lens.

I haven't so far been disappointed with my Tamrons. The good are good and the average are average and the risk is often low. I only have a few Russians and they are nice lenses for what they are. I am all for the Zeiss lenses and Voigtlander. They are some of the best I've tried so far.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Angenieux Lenses Reply with quote

Hi!

maldaye wrote:

I have one Angenieux lens, a 25mm/f1.4 c-mount "type s1" lens intended for use with 16mm movie film. I use it on an adapter on my Olympus E-M5 m43 camera. I purchased it at a good price with intent to resell it. I expected it to be collectable but not particularly useful. It turns out that it is the best fast lens I have at ~25mm, so I kept it. Unfortunately, it cannot be used on non-mirrorless cameras due to the short registration distance of c-mount lenses.

Here are my thoughts:

- Good resolution
- Good contrast
- Quite usable even wide open, and very good from f2.0 on
- Very nice transition to oof regions of the frame
- Some vignetting in the corners on an m43 sensor, but really not too bad

Below is one example from it. ISO 640, 1/100s, f2.0. Slight wb, crop and nr; no sharpening; no other pp. Click for full resolution:

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent shoot, eyes are especially nice bright.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Angenieux Lenses Reply with quote

glasslover wrote:
Hi!

maldaye wrote:

I have one Angenieux lens, a 25mm/f1.4 c-mount "type s1" lens intended for use with 16mm movie film. I use it on an adapter on my Olympus E-M5 m43 camera. I purchased it at a good price with intent to resell it. I expected it to be collectable but not particularly useful. It turns out that it is the best fast lens I have at ~25mm, so I kept it. Unfortunately, it cannot be used on non-mirrorless cameras due to the short registration distance of c-mount lenses.

Here are my thoughts:

- Good resolution
- Good contrast
- Quite usable even wide open, and very good from f2.0 on
- Very nice transition to oof regions of the frame
- Some vignetting in the corners on an m43 sensor, but really not too bad

Below is one example from it. ISO 640, 1/100s, f2.0. Slight wb, crop and nr; no sharpening; no other pp. Click for full resolution:

Cheers!

That is one super cute kid! I can't tell if it is a boy or girl, but if it is a boy you got your next Hollywood heart throb right there Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Angenieux Lenses Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
maldaye wrote:

Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away....

Actually, I bought this lens Smile It is the only Angenieux that I own. My point is that there must be other Angenieux lenses out there. I am curious why there isn't so much hype or discussion about them compared to Russian lenses or even Tamrons and Vivitar lenses. Are they obscure or is it a matter of rarity and price limiting people's access to them (hence the discussion).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Angenieux Lenses Reply with quote

maldaye wrote:
hinnerker wrote:
maldaye wrote:

Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away....

Actually, I bought this lens Smile It is the only Angenieux that I own. My point is that there must be other Angenieux lenses out there. I am curious why there isn't so much hype or discussion about them compared to Russian lenses or even Tamrons and Vivitar lenses. Are they obscure or is it a matter of rarity and price limiting people's access to them (hence the discussion).

At first its seemed to be a matter of the brand Angenieux which stands for an high price level range of 500 Euro and more...

Most of the people playing around with old lenses havent heard about Angenieux... in 2009 i did start a thread for the Angenieux 2 x 35 Zoom and this lens was nearly unknow to people on MFLenses...

Maybe some people have seen this high price lens on ebay as collector items, but havent personel experience with the french lenses.
To expensive to spent a lot of money in something they dont know, especially in a zoom lens.

Most zoom lenses from older days do have bad reputation in general, so most people decide to invest in fixed focal lenghts instead of a zoom lens, from which you cant find informations on the internet.

There are more Angenieux zoom lenses. Me, i actually have 3 of them..

1. The supereb Angenieux 2.5-3.3/35-70mm (the version you have)
2. The also superb Angenieux 2.6/28-70mm (which later was licensed to Tokina and they build and sell this under her own Tokina label)
3. The superb Leica/Angenieux 2.8/45-90mm, made for the Leicaflex SL
4. The great Angenieux 3 x 70 3.5/70-210mm (which i didnt keep, so its not shown in the picture)..

There are some fixed focal lenght lenses on the market, but i dont know these lenses...

Angenieux did stop making lenses for photographer and firmed today under the Thales-Angenieux brand, back to her main bussiness,
TV and Cinema lenses on high pricing level.

Cheers
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Attila wrote:
Excellent shoot, eyes are especially nice bright.

I liked it too. From this example, what do you think of the lens?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Angenieux Lenses Reply with quote

Hi!

maldaye wrote:
That is one super cute kid! I can't tell if it is a boy or girl, but if it is a boy you got your next Hollywood heart throb right there Wink

That's our 2 year old, he warms our hearts daily. I'm glad he was able to warm yours, too, even if from a distance.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Angenieux lens and have been using them for 2 years. My favorite one is 70-210/3.5. This zoom lens is incredible sharp and color is stunning.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a shot I took today with the Angenieux. This is the finished work, so there is some basic portrait retouch.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two fixed focal lenghts from that era too:
ANGENIEUX 180mm f/2,3 APO DEM and 200mm f/2,8 APO DEM:

http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/Angenieux_180-2,3_200-2,8_APO_DEM/00_pag.htm

written in Italian language, but shematic pics don't need to be translatet.

btw, shematics - for those who don't know the fabolous pages by Mr. Frank Mechelhoff
http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Biotar_en.html

thanks to him!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlimages: that photo is gorgeous Surprised

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One, two years ago I thought about buying one of these Angenieux tele lenses - found one with fungus.
But because of the partly non metal build I hesitated - could make a repair much harder.

20-25 years ago Angenieux seems on the top of photo camera lens production - at least for me as amateur photographer. Much to expensive to afford.
And even today their old products are too expensive for me, and I don´t like zoom lenses and lenses with much non-metal barrel contents. So Angenieux is not that interessting for me.

Other French lenses are more interessing for me, I have a Gaumont and Som Berthiot, would like to have a Hermagis.
But yes, I even own one Angenieux lens - but for small film format.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlimages: that photo is gorgeous Surprised

Thanks !karen. Very Happy